Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What trip would you take for a long weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What trip would you take for a long weekend

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by factory81
Before covid, I wouldn’t travel internationally for a long weekend trip. Post-covid, I would have to be a masochist to consider a long weekend international trip. I suppose with the right flights (direct, no connections. Ideal departure/arrival times), right seats (lie-flat in both directions); some will tolerate it. I guess this depends on the definition of a long weekend. If a long weekend is 4 nights/5 days; then maybe a tactical trip meant to enjoy once city-center would be more possible.

I will throw a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th option at you. They are obtainable, low barrier to entry, accessible, unique, picturesque, and all around delightful
  • Traverse City, Michigan - wine, boating, golfing, window shopping
  • Charleston, South Carolina - window shopping, golfing, boating, history
  • Whitefish, Montana - glacier national park, golfing, boating, window shopping, hiking
  • Jackson, Wyoming - Teton national park, golfing, window shopping, hiking

International travel is a double edge sword right now. Award tickets are back to cheap and plentiful; so a great time to redeem, although fares are being heavily discounted - so is it really a great time to redeem hard-earned miles? Then once on the ground; closures, early closure of attractions, early closure of restaurants, dynamic & ever changing government restrictions, and capacity limits make the trips incredibly frustrating. Not to mention the reduction in flights, and fragility of -everything- in a world where labor shortages are everywhere.

I will be following this thread to see what kind of shenanigans y’all are up to.
They sound like nice places to visit, but I don't think OP's sister lives in any of them.
corky, enviroian and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
That stinks about the new restrictions. I was in the Netherlands a few weeks ago. As far as returning to U.S., it was really easy to get a rapid test over there.

If you are talking about the Hampton Amsterdam/Arena Blvd, I love that place. It’s pretty recently new, remodeled and has more of an American feel for size and amenities, as opposed to some of the tiny hotel rooms in the city. It’s in the suburbs with a few local bars and restaurants, and it’s just a quick train or taxi into the central city if you want that. It’s also got a small bar with a cool pizza oven in the lobby, and it’s the best Hampton breakfast I’ve ever had.

totally agree. This hotel has decent price (€90/night w/tax), wide selection for breakfast, great location, literally 30sec walk from metro/national rail/bus station, arcade game next to it, 1min walk to "coffeeshop" if you know what I mean, and nearest covid test center is 2 stops bus ride there and 1 stop ride back. Bus comes every 10min. For airport, either train or bus 300 takes you there fast. I checked out this morning, only stayed there for two nights but I'm sure I will come back in the future.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I have chosen an alternate route that is great for me and is a little less miles than what I had.

Out: dfw-mia-lhr
back: lhr-LAX-dfw

For the return I get to stay longer in the UK on the Monday with a 5 pm flight to LAX. Unlike the war zone JFK area I am staying at the Westin there on Century for $50 less than that dilapidated JFK Hampton.

1:30 PM flight out the next day allows me to work in my room all morning and grab a quick shuttle back to LAX for lunch then flight to dfw and home by 6:42 PM
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have chosen an alternate route that is great for me and is a little less miles than what I had.

Out: dfw-mia-lhr
back: lhr-LAX-dfw

For the return I get to stay longer in the UK on the Monday with a 5 pm flight to LAX. Unlike the war zone JFK area I am staying at the Westin there on Century for $50 less than that dilapidated JFK Hampton.

1:30 PM flight out the next day allows me to work in my room all morning and grab a quick shuttle back to LAX for lunch then flight to dfw and home by 6:42 PM
But, but, Covid...why would you risk it...cause, you know, Covid???

Seriously, have a great trip and enjoy the time with your family!
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by GrumpyYoungMan; Sep 11, 2021 at 6:42 pm Reason: added info
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Well I'm 4 days from my trip and award options have opened. I'm currently booked:

OUT:

dfw-mia leave 2.25
mia-lhr leave 7:50 arrive 0925

Back:

lhr-lax leave 5 pm arrive 8:10 pm
lax-dfw next day leave 1:40 arrive 6:41 PM

Overnight stay at lax hilton $155
165K miles $341

On hold itinerary
out:
dfw-jfk leave 5.01 pm arrive 9:48 PM
jfk-lhr leave 10:28 arrive 10:50 am

back
dfw-mia leave 12:50 arrive 5 pm
mia-dfw leave 3:30 arrive 5:26 pm
110K miles $341
hilton or doubletree nearby MIA $110

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.