Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you pay $242 to upgrade to business on a 777-300ER from MIA to LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you pay $242 to upgrade to business on a 777-300ER from MIA to LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cova
That is just the benefits of flying F. But does that upgrade actually change your Fare code to an F category, like D, C, I?
Agree this is worth looking into. It’s also worth looking at the fare difference for the full series of flights as opposed to just the seat upgrade price on the single segment (if this is more than one flight). Might be worth upgrading the whole thing.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Plot twist:
OP pays for upgrade
Days later (or day of flight) AA downgrades aircraft to 737-X.

Could OP get money back?
As others have said, yes. But the odds of that happening is close to zero. Every frequency on this route is currently serviced with 77Ws. That would have to be one hell of an empty flight to downgrade to a 737-X.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Take it … even without any food it is worth it for the space and ability to go lie flat and relax.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I would take that. Many people pay more than 250 usd to play nice golf courses. 50 bucks an hour is worth it.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jbeckett

Move to First Class

Book for as low as

+ $242* per person

Our largest, most comfortable seat

Best way to travel

2 free checked bags**
Priority security at participating airports
Priority boarding

*Price shown is per passenger and for the lowest cost upgrade. Upgrades on other flights in your trip may cost more.
**On planes with both Business and First, you get 1 extra checked bag.

No AAdvantage® miles, Elite Qualifying Miles, Segments or Dollars earned.
Bolding mine. Is this statement legit? You pay money to upgrade and earn NO miles??? I have an acceptable offer for an upcoming trip, but not if it means I earn zero miles! Just curious... Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2021, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Bolding mine. Is this statement legit? You pay money to upgrade and earn NO miles??? I have an acceptable offer for an upcoming trip, but not if it means I earn zero miles! Just curious... Thanks!
No additional miles. The base fare continues to apply.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
In simple terms, its money well spent. More privacy, more space. Less hassle.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Legitimate question, no matter how insane it might sound. Would you take the in-app offer of $242 to upgrade from coach (most likely preferred economy, I am a gold and will be platinum or platinum pro before I board) to business on a MIA-LAX flight mid-day on a Wednesday?

Pros: It is my understanding this is the best set of seat AA's got, many say even better than first on the same plane. Lie flat. Miami is known for having restless passengers lately, this helps to ensure it is less likely I sit near one. 5 stickers is $200, so I would only be paying $42 extra in theory, to guarantee an upgrade now. MAYBE the food, but I found the condiment slathered turkey sandwich close to inedible due to my bizarre fear of most condiments. Who knows what this plane might serve.

Neutrals & "Cons": Drink service was awful my last business/first flight in August cross country, I don't really need a lie-flat at 3 in the afternoon, there is questionability in whether this upgrade will earn EQD but it should based on the terms not mentioning it, I don't need any additional free bags. If I make plat-pro via some earlier Alaska flights, I would probably have been upgraded free anyway, but more likely I'll only be platinum by this flight. There could always be a last minute equipment swap.

I guess the question is, do I need the 50 percent chance of $242 EQD added, and do I value a bigger seat at the front $242 worth, less $20 for the wine and sandwich? If this was a red-eye, NO QUESTION I would do it. Am I missing a benefit in the current stage of the pandemic to being in biz? Its sad this is even a question I have... I suppose I'll earn an extra couple thousand MQMish towards more stickers... What am I missing, someone help me tilt the scales.
Why do you think there is a chance of $242 EQD added? I am not aware of sticker purchases giving you EQD
Additionally, are you aware of the chances of a Gold or Recent PLT getting sticker upgraded on that segment?
If I am not paying for stickers, I would probably take it, otherwise I am normally OK with the PE seat.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I was all but ready to take everyone’s advice and do it, especially because when upgrading in the APP it says the upgrade works like a new ticket with all the same benefits.

Thankfully jbeckett above showed the terms as stated on a full desktop mode and they claim the OPPOSITE. I would have considered doing it for the EQD, though I think I’m gonna end the year with a frustrating 8500 or so according to my plans… so it really comes down to drinks, space, and food. My August CLT-LAX flight sucked at drinks and food, so… do I want to spend 242 for space when I’ll probably end up in premium economy for free anyway? Sorry I’m passing 🤷🏼‍♂️ Make the EQDs count and I’m in. 🙈

Lol to the plot twist concept, totally considered it. My own plot twist? Trying to same day standby for the red eye flight ish instead where I could totally value the lieflat.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:31 am
FT

Just mentioned this in a recent post. I upgraded from Flagship Business to Flagship First JFK-LAX a couple weeks ago. I received EQM as if it was booked in First. I only received EQD on the Business class fare.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I so it really comes down to drinks, space, and food. My August CLT-LAX flight sucked at drinks and food, so… do I want to spend 242 for space when I’ll probably end up in premium economy for free anyway?
I understand your math, but as I pointed out above MIA-LAX gets the same food/drink as the JFK-SFO/LAX premium transcons, unlike your CLT-LAX flight which unfortunately like almost every other domestic flight gets AA's current excuse for non-catering. The premium transcons and some of the Hawaii flights are the only domestic flights getting anything resembling pre-COVID.
LovePrunes and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Last edited by wrp96; Sep 11, 2021 at 4:14 am
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Computer says "yes"
Computer or Magic 8 Ball?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I would have considered doing it for the EQD, though I think I’m gonna end the year with a frustrating 8500 or so according to my plans…
Have you looked into changing your ticket straight into business?
I am looking at the LAX-MIA flights and it is just $499 in business (Booking code "I") for the next 3 months. You get all EQDs and EQMs.
Not sure how much you paid for your coach ticket but $499 (OW) is a fare you will probably never see again once things go back to normal.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by mvoight
Computer or Magic 8 Ball?
I think computer. I am not the savant of British humour and tv shows like some, but there's an old show called IT Crowd or something and a very popular line is, COMPUTER SAYS NOOOOOO in a particular accent/style.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Have you looked into changing your ticket straight into business?
I am looking at the LAX-MIA flights and it is just $499 in business (Booking code "I") for the next 3 months. You get all EQDs and EQMs.
Not sure how much you paid for your coach ticket but $499 (OW) is a fare you will probably never see again once things go back to normal.
Yes, I know, $499, but coach is only 80 something now, and I paid an astounding even less, like $60. So I can get the benefits without EQD for 200 less than with the EQD counting. I guess I don't need the EQD that badly unless they lower the EX-PLAT thresholds or give EQD bonuses to those of us that flew this year rather than two years ago based on our May status =P
Antarius and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
I think computer. I am not the savant of British humour and tv shows like some, but there's an old show called IT Crowd or something and a very popular line is, COMPUTER SAYS NOOOOOO in a particular accent/style.
NYC Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.