Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Solo Passenger Refuses to Switch to the Single Seat Side on an E175 in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solo Passenger Refuses to Switch to the Single Seat Side on an E175 in J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nk15
And that's part of the problem, there are a lot of grey areas and situations, and everyone has a justification from their point of view and self-interest.

I had a tough one the other day, I was on a European medium haul flight some time ago (about 3 hours), on a carefully selected aisle seat towards the front, guy comes up to me asking to switch to sit next to his visibly pregnant wife who may needed help (dubious, in retrospect), very apologetically, explaining that it was a last minute booking and the plane was full, and I think he also said it is ok if I don't want to, but I am not sure about that part. His seat is a middle seat in the back of the plane, and I have a relatively tight connection. Everybody was looking at me and the peer pressure was strong. I accepted but I was fuming.
I would've said, "I'm sorry. I have a very tight connection to make my next flight, and sitting in the back of the plane greatly reduces the chances I make it. Perhaps the person sitting next to you would be willing to switch with your wife?"
MSPeconomist and apeortdz like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by kipper
I would've said, "I'm sorry. I have a very tight connection to make my next flight, and sitting in the back of the plane greatly reduces the chances I make it. Perhaps the person sitting next to you would be willing to switch with your wife?"
I thought about it afterwards, but not in the heat of the moment. That would be the plan for next time.

Highly recommended for air travel...

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic...19109989_0.jpg
Spanish likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 4, 2021 at 4:07 am Reason: merged consecutive posts - please use multi-quote
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
For all those who commented on my post

We didn't get the FA involved. She was busy enough with a full plane load of passengers. We were both adult enough to figure it out on our own

For the rest, all I can say is that it is never the wrong time to do the right thing.

And with that, i will let it drop.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
This is a particularly apt thread for me. For a recent ~2 hour flight on AS, I was called to the desk and asked to change my aisle seat in F to a window seat in the rear of F to accommodate a gentleman who wanted to sit with his wife (in the window) and the couple in the two seats across the aisle. I declined as I prefer the aisle and wanted to be upfront in first to have a better choice of meal (was unable to select online). I boarded and was approached by an FA shortly after boarding and again asked to move (FA was contacted by the gate agent as the gentleman was insistent that I be moved). I again declined and said I might move aisle for aisle but not aisle for window.

Shortly after that the gentleman boarded and took his wife's seat next to me and wanted to know why I wouldn't move and that the gate agent told him that I wouldn't move and that he should take it up with me when he boards. After explaining that I selected my seat as I prefer the aisle, he proceeded to call me an a-----e and that I was ruining his vacation. His rant was pretty much nonstop after that until the couple traveling with him found someone in an aisle willing to move to a window in the back. I switched and did not get a meal choice and went without a meal because the remaining meal was something I had before and knew not to have again.

While I occasionally move to accommodate someone else (families etc), I usually dislike moving to window seats. In this case looking back I regret moving and allowing this gentleman to succeed with his demanding DYKWIA attitude and disappointed that the gate agent decided to palm this gentleman off on me.

People choose their seats for many reasons. Instead of finding someone's seat choice as odd or unusual I find the need to analyze someone's choice or to label that choice as odd or unusual as the unusual or odd thing.
The term gentleman is used loosely here. +1 on using the call button and get a FA and/or GA involved.

Originally Posted by andryas
This may be a sensitive subject in FT, as I've never seen it discussed anywhere. Since the era of FA carrying handheld device with electronic manifest, I have witnessed some weird requests for lateral seat swaps (no perceived advantage, like A to F, or C to D, or 10A to 11A). However, I always found out later that the person asking for a swap is either a buddy pass holder or some other kind of non-revs. Maybe they think the FA will treat them better as a paying passenger. I have similar experience to the poster above: After several seat swaps, a group of three traveler managed to get the C, D and F seat (next to each other, first class cabin), and their last move is to ask me in A to change seat with F because the daughter wants to sit together with the mom (it doesn't make sense, does it?). Eventually I found out later on that they are travelling non-revs and the F seat was the last original seat. Because of many experience like these, now I become very hesitant to change seats.
This is so weird - non-rev's typically get better treatment than revenue passengers. I was on a transcon flight where the FA handed leftover chocolate chip cookies to all the non-rev passengers - back in the olden days when they baked cookies onboard.

Originally Posted by born sleepy
This so much. It's no skin off my butt to swap an equal or better seat and I'll usually agree to this with a smile. Once I boarded to find my F seat occupied by half of an elderly couple; the other half was in the window. The old guy said would you mind taking my seat across the aisle? Not at all, have a great flight and a pleasant vacation, sir. I mean, how hard is that? It takes so little effort to make someone else happy. Too many people have to get all bent up about little things like this and I hate it.

But do NOT demand I sit in the last row middle next to the lav so you can canoodle with your boygirlfriend in MCE, because you won't like the answer. That's just being a selfish bhole.
And there it goes. It all depends on how it was asked, and the situation. I swapped into a middle seat voluntarily so I don't have to babysit a child the entire flight. I also had an elderly squatter in my first class seat and told me to sit elsewhere because they needed to accomodate his oxygen tank in the overhead compartment.

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Let me ponder for a moment......

She was so obsessed with cleanliness that she had already preboarded, carried out her seat-sanitising and just deplaned for a moment to incinerate the Covid-infested wipe before reboarding - see there is a plausible explanation for everything
Wait, the woman in question is Naomi Campbell?

Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:20 pm

Highly recommended for air travel...

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic...19109989_0.jpg
Yes!
Originally Posted by radonc1
For all those who commented on my post

We didn't get the FA involved. She was busy enough with a full plane load of passengers. We were both adult enough to figure it out on our own

For the rest, all I can say is that it is never the wrong time to do the right thing.

And with that, i will let it drop.
I have little sympathy for those who fail to pre-plan.
strickerj and Spanish like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
And that's part of the problem, there are a lot of grey areas and situations, and everyone has a justification from their point of view and self-interest.

I had a tough one the other day, I was on a European medium haul flight some time ago (about 3 hours), on a carefully selected aisle seat towards the front, guy comes up to me asking to switch to sit next to his visibly pregnant wife who may needed help (dubious, in retrospect), very apologetically, explaining that it was a last minute booking and the plane was full, and I think he also said it is ok if I don't want to, but I am not sure about that part. His seat is a middle seat in the back of the plane, and I have a relatively tight connection. Everybody was looking at me and the peer pressure was strong. I accepted but I was fuming.
Had he asked the person sitting next to him in the back to move up to take his wife's seat? If she was fit to fly, she could have taken the seat next to him in the back
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
People with food allergies really do need the aisle seat, or next to a friend or family member in an aisle seat. My spouse is one. If possible we will pay to get her or us access to the aisle. But enough of our travel is last-minute, maybe even within 24 hours, so it is not always possible. She or we will cope with a middle seat if we have to. The marriage will survive if we are not sitting next to each other for three hours. But we're not moving her to accommodate random person trying to get next to their traveling partner.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
People with food allergies really do need the aisle seat, or next to a friend or family member in an aisle seat. My spouse is one. If possible we will pay to get her or us access to the aisle. But enough of our travel is last-minute, maybe even within 24 hours, so it is not always possible. She or we will cope with a middle seat if we have to. The marriage will survive if we are not sitting next to each other for three hours. But we're not moving her to accommodate random person trying to get next to their traveling partner.
I have a severe food allergy, but I've never found that I need the aisle seat for that reason. That said, I always take an aisle seat where I can stretch my right leg out into the aisle when no one is walking, given a knee issue.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

This thread has turned into a catch-all for seat swaps, across any airline, which has deviated significantly from the OP. Therefore, I'm closing this thread.

We do have a, "Would you change seats with me," thread for AA-related voluntary seat changes located here:
The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Thank you.

~moderator
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.