Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA not honoring August 24 (2021) mistake ($0.00) fares

AA not honoring August 24 (2021) mistake ($0.00) fares

Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:15 am

For the uninitiated and perhaps the occasional flyer, how does one know whether something is a sale or a mistake fare?
wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Antarius
I stand corrected. I know the basis of it was airline led to avoid forced regulation but did not know that the DOT added it as a regulation.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
And since they offer it as a single number, it is ridiculous to expect a consumer to deconstruct it.

Given that AA has offered 1 USD base fares (and other airlines have as well, including a 0.5 Euro one - see upthread), a consumer is expected to know that $0 is bad but $0.5 is good? Sorry, can't accept that.
One big thing is that in US Domestic markets there are no YQ/YR fees which is how many of the $1 and 0.50 EUR are sold.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
A whole lot of justification going on here. AA has been good to me in the past when I needed an exception so I have no problem with them not honoring tickets from those clearly taking advantage. It’s a two way street.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by fwfdan
It is not the law. Passenger Bill of Rights were implemented by airlines in order to avoid regulation. But it it is the airlines policy not the law.

Some implemented it differently with a 24-hour free hold versus a 24-hour cancellation policy. But I believe they have all moved towards the cancellation and away from the hold.
This isn't accurate. It's quite literally regulation, and the regulation explicitly allows a hold or cancellation.

(4) Allowing reservations to be held at the quoted fare without payment, or cancelled without penalty, for at least twenty-four hours after the reservation is made if the reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight's departure
14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011

Back on topic, a $0 fare would be a clear example of error.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Beltway2A

Back on topic, a $0 fare would be a clear example of error.
Again, it wasn't $0. The people in this thread might understand the difference between a $0 fare component and a $0 ticket. Ma and Pa Kettle aren't going to look into the breakdown and say "hmm...the fare basis is $0 and I'm only paying fees and taxes; this is a clear example of error." They see the total price and pay that.

Remember the average flyer is not represented on FT.
lowfareair, LINDEGR and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
In the US, airfares advertised include taxes and fees for the flight itself. Extras liked pre-reserved seating, and checked baggage, are not included in the fare.
AA shows the fare breakdown when you buy a ticket. I have zero issue with airlines not honoring a mistake fare.
The courts have ruled that just because it is displayed on a webpage doesn't mean the consumer has read it (that is why nowadays so many disclosures you have to actually open and scroll all the way down before they'll let you mark it as read).
Secondly, you made a presumption that has no been litigated. Is $0 definitively a mistake fare? Where is the proof that it is? What law states that?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
A whole lot of justification going on here. AA has been good to me in the past when I needed an exception so I have no problem with them not honoring tickets from those clearly taking advantage. It’s a two way street.
To my knowledge, no one in this thread has complained about airlines not honoring mistake fares. But some feel that it is dishonest to take advantage of what one knows to be a mistake fare, even if the airline honors it. I strongly disagree.
GTITAN and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Retailers also reserve the right to correct misstake ads/coupons/pricing. Over the years, I saw a "great" deal advertised and got to the store and found a sign explaining the error and that they would not honor it. I've even received grocery store coupons that were a "mistake" and were not honored.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:59 am

And since they offer it as a single number, it is ridiculous to expect a consumer to deconstruct it.
Yes, the fare is a single number on the initial screen. However, it's not when you actually make the purchase. No need to deconstruct anything. It's right there, clear as day before you have to provide your credit card. In the example below, the fare is $39.07.

Will some people miss this breakdown? Of course. But, I don't think "I didn't read the screen" is a convincing argument given the fact that the error was caught reasonably quickly.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by formeraa
Retailers also reserve the right to correct misstake ads/coupons/pricing. Over the years, I saw a "great" deal advertised and got to the store and found a sign explaining the error and that they would not honor it. I've even received grocery store coupons that were a "mistake" and were not honored.
Right, most T&Cs include some statement that warn buyers about the company having the right to correct errors
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:03 pm

At the beginning of the pandemic, American was selling $16 OW fares from LAX to MIA. I don’t know if that was intentional or a mistake, but those fares were honored. It’s not crazy to think these fares were promotional, but I also can’t imagine getting bent out of shape because these mistake fares weren’t honored when they were never even ticketed.
lowfareair and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I count myself among the non-AA apologists and even think for all the taxpayer money they took in these latest two bailouts that the American consumer is generally owed something by the airline, but it's tough for me to take the side of those getting angry about not honoring a $0 base fare that never ticketed and was never charged. I subscribe to Gary Leff's view--if these types of fares get honored, I want to be among those getting the deal, but if they're not honored then am I really harmed? No, I'm not, because I'm not stupid enough to make penalty-enforced plans around a $0 base fare, and if you are, well, maybe you deserve what you get.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Given that AA has offered 1 USD base fares (and other airlines have as well, including a 0.5 Euro one - see upthread), a consumer is expected to know that $0 is bad but $0.5 is good? Sorry, can't accept that.
You don't have to deconstruct it. It is automatically done, before you pay.
And it is the government which makes them advertised the fare including those fees and taxes
It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.
People complain when advertised stuff doesn't include taxes/fees, and now blaming AA because the government requires to advertise it the way it is advertised
If you book the fare, you are presented with a listing BEFORE you pay
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
You don't have to deconstruct it. It is automatically done, before you pay.
And it is the government which makes them advertised the fare including those fees and taxes
It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.
People complain when advertised stuff doesn't include taxes/fees, and now blaming AA because the government requires to advertise it the way it is advertised
If you book the fare, you are presented with a listing BEFORE you pay
It still require someone to look for something that should be immaterial to them.

YOur interpretation of an inclusive fare is just way off. People are complaining about not including taxes and fees because they only care about the end price. That's ALL that matters. Your convoluted interpretation of this is exactly why a single price is required.
lowfareair, vasantn and LINDEGR like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.