Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA not honoring August 24 (2021) mistake ($0.00) fares

AA not honoring August 24 (2021) mistake ($0.00) fares

Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Most of the time, when I make a mistake, I do not catch it with in 24 hours.
Really? Few times I've made a mistake I recognized it within an hour.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Really? Few times I've made a mistake I recognized it within an hour.
So if you caught it within an hour, why couldn't AA, who I presume publishes fare professionally, not catch it sooner?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:00 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So if you caught it within an hour, why couldn't AA, who I presume publishes fare professionally, not catch it sooner?
The volume of fares AA publishes is dramatically different from the volume of fares the poster books.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:01 am

$0 is clearly a mistake. Everyone who purchased knew it was a mistake. I can see purchasing and seeing if they honor it, but when they dont move on. These people couldnt even ticket, the system probably didnt understand it
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
The volume of fares AA publishes is dramatically different from the volume of fares the poster books.
So presumably that is too much to do manually, and they have processes to do these things.
So is it ok if AA flies more planes than some have mishaps every now and then? The volume is different.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by lunchtime
$0 is clearly a mistake. Everyone who purchased knew it was a mistake. I can see purchasing and seeing if they honor it, but when they dont move on. These people couldnt even ticket, the system probably didnt understand it

Can you tell the fare from this?

Do you know that the system couldn't ticket? It doesn't seem like that is what happened.
JJeffrey, Antarius and Deckter like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fwfdan
It is not the law. Passenger Bill of Rights were implemented by airlines in order to avoid regulation. But it it is the airlines policy not the law.

Some implemented it differently with a 24-hour free hold versus a 24-hour cancellation policy. But I believe they have all moved towards the cancellation and away from the hold.
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...ur-reservation
its still required by the DOT
GTITAN, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:43 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Travelzoo did promote this as an airline promotional deal.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 29, 2021 at 3:48 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
With no money exchanging hands there is a strong argument that there was never a contract in place.
United747 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
many airlines have insanely low loss leader promo fares.

Seen plenty of $1 fares advertised, which are cheaper in most cases than advertising higher fares. Crazy fares often generate free publicity.

Imagine if you bought some of these cheap fares, booked non-refundable accommodation etc. only to then be told, those fares aren't valid & you will need to pay an additional zillion dollars.
i bought some BER-LAX tickets - fare component is 0.5 Euro each way
Antarius and Deckter like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
Exactly. Only in the US are we in love with this idiotic line item pricing. I'm in Spain right now and when they tell me the coffee is 1.90 Euro, that's it - not 1.90 plus tax plus gratuity.
​​​​​
no reasonable consumer is deconstructing fares into their components. At the end of the day, we all have x amount of money and can spend y on travel; whether that y is made up of a or a,b and c is immaterial to the purchase decision.
In the US, airfares advertised include taxes and fees for the flight itself. Extras liked pre-reserved seating, and checked baggage, are not included in the fare.
AA shows the fare breakdown when you buy a ticket. I have zero issue with airlines not honoring a mistake fare.
writerguyfl and tkelvin69 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can you tell the fare from this?

Do you know that the system couldn't ticket? It doesn't seem like that is what happened.
That is not usually what you pay, because AA rounds up to the nearest dollar when it displays the fare.
By law the advertised fare does include tax and required fees (not counting prebooked seat charges or checked baggage, as they are not required for a flight)
Before you pay for it, you will see a display with the actual fare and other charges broken down individually
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
The total dollar amount wasn't 0. It was 20 odd something for a round trip once taxes and fees were added- which isn't that insane at all.

To your latter point, fair enough.
But clearly, before you pay, you are able to see a breakdown. On most (all?) I suspect the airline fee amount was $0 and the airfare amount actually showed as $0.
So, you would easily have seen the only fees were for the government, and nothing was going to the airline
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
But clearly, before you pay, you are able to see a breakdown. On most (all?) I suspect the airline fee amount was $0 and the airfare amount actually showed as $0.
So, you would easily have seen the only fees were for the government, and nothing was going to the airline
That requires the passenger to take on a burden of caring that they shouldn't. I don't care as the only thing that matters is the total price. Whether AA chooses to have $1 in fare and $39 in fees or DL chooses 20, 20 and UA chooses $40 in fare and 0 in fees is irrelevant to the passenger.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
In the US, airfares advertised include taxes and fees for the flight itself. Extras liked pre-reserved seating, and checked baggage, are not included in the fare.
AA shows the fare breakdown when you buy a ticket. I have zero issue with airlines not honoring a mistake fare.
And since they offer it as a single number, it is ridiculous to expect a consumer to deconstruct it.

Given that AA has offered 1 USD base fares (and other airlines have as well, including a 0.5 Euro one - see upthread), a consumer is expected to know that $0 is bad but $0.5 is good? Sorry, can't accept that.
lowfareair and LINDEGR like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.