Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How much power does this FA (nonrev) have?

How much power does this FA (nonrev) have?

Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Write the letter.

it’s very easy for AA to look at the manifest and work out who she is. She definitely deserves A warning if not termination
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by fdog
after this she promptly marches over to the GA and has an animated discussion.
Since this seems to be the main thing that concerns you as far as wondering if the nonrev may have put in a word against you -- please note it's entirely possible that the discussion with the GA was on another topic and had nothing to do with you (perhaps they are friends). The nonrev may have thought: "This pax was feistier than I expected, but I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of watching me take another seat in defeat -- I'll just walk off and do something else entirely -- hey, how about I say hello to the GA."
fdog and rdlmitedu like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
It’s definitely worth a few minutes to draft a mean note for American to put in her file, and then never do anything about.
Why? It's definitely worth it to write it up.
If you do nothing about it you basically encourage such behavior. Actually, you encourage them to bully people who don't stand up for themselves. Is that the society we want to live in?
bchandler02 and Annerk like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why is the OP assuming that the apparent AA employee was a FA if she wasn't in uniform? Maybe she was a pilot or even an executive with the company.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can NRSAs see the ticket type and status of passengers on flights they're trying to catch? If so, it was incredibly stupid for this person to pick you when attempting to steal an assigned seat. Many CKs would know the rules, and someone on a paid expensive ticket is likely to complain and also to be a HVC to AA. A CK/HVC is also likely to have contacts within AA who would take this sort of situation seriously.
Airline staff are experts at this actually... U.S. airlines have such ghastly cultures that some staff even look at other non-revs with higher priorities than them (especially because pilots and FAs seem to despise their corporate counterparts which in some cases have higher priorities including space positive travel). Also, those traveling with companions act like hawks monitoring the seat maps of the flights they are trying to get on. Completely agree that the guy's action was incredibly stupid, but then again, this is AA we are talking about.

Many, many years ago when I graduated from college, I was being interviewed for a corporate role so UA booked me as a space positive non-rev. I had an incredibly parasitic FA who sat next to me and the first thing out of her mouth was something along the lines of how us corporate guys had it really good asking me if I had a family or friend who had gotten me the job at UA. I explained to her that I was just a kid out of school interviewing at the time and then she lowered her guard and spent the rest of the flight whining about how terrible United was (gave me the example of how it was ridiculous that UA corporate made the decision not to load enough desserts in Global First for paid passengers and that her last purser had "stolen desserts" from crew meals to offer them to their passengers). I ultimately got the job but fortunately a much better company made me a strong offer, thereby saving me from wasting years of my life at UA with its extremely parasitic employees who would go to such depths of stalking passengers with higher priorities than them.
Geordie405 likes this.

Last edited by fly747first; Aug 22, 2021 at 10:41 pm
Old Aug 23, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
if a FA did that to me... taking my wife's seat would be
A: ask to talk the AA airport manager
B. Make exact notes of what was said.. not adding anything else
C. Email AA customer service and follow up

I dont care who you are, or think your are.. you insult my family ever... you will get it from me.

ok time to get a cup of Indian tea
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why? It's definitely worth it to write it up.
If you do nothing about it you basically encourage such behavior. Actually, you encourage them to bully people who don't stand up for themselves. Is that the society we want to live in?
My read on the post was that AA isn't going to do jack about it. Which is probably true.

But yes, I would recommend sending it regardless. It is cathartic to write ascerbic emails about people needlessly being pissants.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is the OP assuming that the apparent AA employee was a FA if she wasn't in uniform? Maybe she was a pilot or even an executive with the company.
an employee is an employee , pilots and executives shouldn’t be talking to customers in that way either although presumably the OP flies with AA often to tell the difference between a pilot and an FA’s uniform and also understands executives are not uniformed ?
wrp96, Annerk and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I find it incredible that anyone, Flight Attendant, CEO, or Cleaning Lady would dare push someonelse''s luggage and sit down without a word. You were polite - I would not have been and I would have asked when she pulled the American Airlines and hostility nonsense replied that in Pucci Galore's earshot we do not tolerate rudeness or insolence. I would report her. I did have a PanAm Flight Attendant pull them same with a passenger. She was positioning and had no less than four pieces of hand luggage when she was actually permitted one. I did the same and PanAm were informed that one of their employees had caused a problem with one of BA's passenger as she insisted on putting her bags under his seat as well. He was having none of it, and neither was I. She was very rude - don't let her get away with it.

Nevertheless she may have been commuting at her expense and she had probably paid for the seat - so she may not have been non-rev if she was out of uniform.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:23 pm

All the other stuff aside .... Isn't it a major TSA no-no to touch another person's luggage?
onanisland likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stickboy46
All the other stuff aside .... Isn't it a major TSA no-no to touch another person's luggage?
Opening and packing. They don't really care about touching it briefly.
​​​​​
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fly747first
Key words: "supposed to". Sadly, some NRSAs are incredibly unprofessional and abusive. A couple years ago, I had an off-duty FA traveling with his partner so he took my seat without even waiting for me to arrive... when I did, he rudely pointed me to sit somewhere else and I refused. The guy then told me that seat assignments are subject to change and I reminded him that non-revs can lose their flying benefits for violating rules, including taking the seats of full-fare passengers. He wouldn't stop arguing with me and I lost my patience... went up to the galley and asked the on-duty crew if AA's policies had changed overnight to allow non-revs to steal the seats of CK flyers. The purser wouldn't have it, told the guy to immediately move and wasn't shy to inform him that she would be writing him up. I tried to be classy and just gave him a winner's smile as he moved to the last row of F. His partner didn't say a word to me during the flight and I'm glad he didn't.
Their traveling partners can be just as bad. I was on a flight a few years ago where I happened to have a row of MCE to myself. Just as boarding was finishing, a non-rev shows up at my row with his wife and daughter. Wife immediately tells me I have to move because the family can't be split up, not asks just *tells* me to move - only other open seat on the whole plane is very last row middle seat next to the lavs. I say "no I paid for this seat weeks ago, sorry" (no AA status here but I did specifically pay for the extra legroom - I'm tall and anything except a MCE aisle is very uncomfortable). Wife (who is very obviously drunk btw) continues berating me while the husband keeps telling her it's no big deal before taking that last row seat. Wife and daughter finally take the seats next to me and give me dagger eyes for the next three hours, fun!
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chleonard
Their traveling partners can be just as bad. I was on a flight a few years ago where I happened to have a row of MCE to myself. Just as boarding was finishing, a non-rev shows up at my row with his wife and daughter. Wife immediately tells me I have to move because the family can't be split up, not asks just *tells* me to move - only other open seat on the whole plane is very last row middle seat next to the lavs. I say "no I paid for this seat weeks ago, sorry" (no AA status here but I did specifically pay for the extra legroom - I'm tall and anything except a MCE aisle is very uncomfortable). Wife (who is very obviously drunk btw) continues berating me while the husband keeps telling her it's no big deal before taking that last row seat. Wife and daughter finally take the seats next to me and give me dagger eyes for the next three hours, fun!
That would have been an immediate call sign event for me. Let the actual FA deal with them.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chleonard
Wife and daughter finally take the seats next to me and give me dagger eyes for the next three hours, fun!
I usually reply with a .... eating grin back.

Happy to trade or switch, but don't act like I owe it to you.
aamilesslave and madmanshoney like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It was rude simply take the seat with luggage in front of it, simply because the other person had gone to the restroom, the comment "Here at American Airlines, we don't tolerate hostility of any kind" sounds like a threat to potentially stop the OP and spouse from travel.
I would have immediately requested management for them to know who she was, and would have expected them to report on the incident, as I would have certainly written to AA about it. She was the one a bit out of line to take the seat, and way out of line to make that kind of comment, and I doubt it was the first time. These kind of people do NOT belong in this business.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.