End of the road for UK-based elites?

Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AA allows you to earn status by flying 100% on partners. This was true preCV19 and is true now. Just because you dont want to fly on those partners right now is much different from you can't fly them. You've decided your risk of getting stuck outside UK isn't worth it. While I feel this is an unlikely to happen thing, if that's how you feel, that's a personal choice. Now that you've made a personal choice you're expecting AA to cater to that choice despite millions of others having flown with no issue, plus no reasonable basis for AA to assume your issue will occur in future.
I take your point that, if business travel as we knew it will never resumes, then at least AA will retain a cadre of diehard frequent fliers who were willing and able to do random mileage runs to random destinations to keep their status whilst the delta variant was raging. How much use they will be to American if business travel in any meaningful sense does resume is another matter which remains to be seen.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Aug 14, 2021 at 1:45 pm
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by duchy
Have we ? Interesting perspective !
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Actually, actually looking closer at it, yes we would. Three round-trips LHR-ATH would represent 9,060 miles and 2,265 EQD. The cheapest way of doing this, if you are able to take three weeks off in September and fly out every Wednesday, would cost Ł846.
I assumed that duchy's "Have we ?" referred to safari ari's remark that "UK ... has more or less ended their lockdowns", i.e., duchy was challenging whether they have actually ended.
duchy and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Have we ? Interesting perspective !
Considering I was in LHR the day Johnson removed restrictions, and from the scenes of full stadiums across the country for today's round of EPL matches, I would say they have.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-bu...ea000a2c65618b

Johnson: England to lift last virus restrictions on July 19
scoonee likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: US Gold
I have to sympathize with the OP. The fact that we *can* technically fly places (with the complication of having to arrange at least three covid tests and, in the case of some countries, isolate on return) doesn't make it sensible or safe to do so. The most obvious reason for being an AA elite instead of a frequent flyer on BA or one of the others is that you fly to the US a lot. Right now, non-US citizens can't enter the US - and even those of us who can are aware that the US is currently seeing 100,000-150,000 confirmed covid cases a day. There are a lot of places in the US it's smarter not to go right now. There are also restrictions on entering some other countries from the Uk because of the Delta variant. None of this is in the OP's control.

That said, the year isn't over, and I, too, am hoping they give us a break.

wg
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by safari ari
Considering I was in LHR the day Johnson removed restrictions, and from the scenes of full stadiums across the country for today's round of EPL matches, I would say they have.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-bu...ea000a2c65618b

bit like saying Vegas is safe because the tourists are back , despite the increasing infection levels and the need to bring back the mask mandate. Football and tourism aren’t anything to do with business travel. So I’m afraid I can’t agree with you. If your business is in Athens then you might be correct, if your business is in (say) the US then if U.K. based, travel to Athens is pointless (and a little nuts whilst infections are still high for pointless travel, a pandemic isn’t the time for mileage runs)
Passmethesickbag and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
bit like saying Vegas is safe because the tourists are back , despite the increasing infection levels and the need to bring back the mask mandate. Football and tourism aren’t anything to do with business travel. So I’m afraid I can’t agree with you. If your business is in Athens then you might be correct, if your business is in (say) the US then if U.K. based, travel to Athens is pointless (and a little nuts whilst infections are still high for pointless travel, a pandemic isn’t the time for mileage runs)
It doesn't matter the reason for travel. Travel is now open. If you dont feel risk is worth it, fine. However you can't expect an airline to bend over for you when planes are flying. You can catch a flight, so why should airline act like you can't, especially when millions are doing exactly what you refuse?
LoungeLizardHugo and AndyKehn like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Well, the usual rationale is that if someone was a loyal frequent flyer in the past, but has been unable to be lately for reasons outside their control (pandemic), then the airline wants to keep their loyalty when they can travel again in the future, rather than lose them to "free agency".
Given the shaky financial situation that airlines are in, I doubt American is overly concerned about the prospect of losing UK-based elites to free agency (or another program). I'm speculating, but I can't imagine there are a ton of them. It's usually better to spend your finite resources (labor, marketing money) concentrating on larger groups.

Essentially, the old playbooks on how airlines handle severe economic distress no longer apply because international travel isn't possible in many markets.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Given the shaky financial situation that airlines are in, I doubt American is overly concerned about the prospect of losing UK-based elites to free agency (or another program). I'm speculating, but I can't imagine there are a ton of them. It's usually better to spend your finite resources (labor, marketing money) concentrating on larger groups.

Essentially, the old playbooks on how airlines handle severe economic distress no longer apply because international travel isn't possible in many markets.
If their expectation is that we will remain legally prevented from flying with American indefinitely, then yes.
esledo likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It doesn't matter the reason for travel. Travel is now open. If you dont feel risk is worth it, fine. However you can't expect an airline to bend over for you when planes are flying. You can catch a flight, so why should airline act like you can't, especially when millions are doing exactly what you refuse?
Because most of their competitors are - therefore their previously loyal frequent flyers will leave and move to those other airlines.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
-AA will take the advice of their "Marketing Department" Delta Airlines and will roll your Status for 2022 in the upcoming months.
I actually LOL'd at this. Brilliantly said!
gateH15 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
OP I think you're making an assumption that business travel will resume to the levels pre-COVID to which even the airlines have acknowledged it will not - its expected to be 80% of what it was by the end of 2022.

The cat is out of the bag that virtual work and virtual meetings work, and whilst certain meetings and work is better performed, and indeed in some cases must, happen in person, there's tacit acknowledgement above that a good 20% of travel was superfluous.

With that data in hand, I imagine AA are content that current strategy serves them best for 2022, its unfortunate for you that you seem to have fallen between the cracks on that one.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
OP I think you're making an assumption that business travel will resume to the levels pre-COVID to which even the airlines have acknowledged it will not - its expected to be 80% of what it was by the end of 2022.
My assumption is not quantitative but qualitative. I have a pressing professional need to do make a long overdue trip to the US. Essentially, a single Premium Economy roundtrip LHR-ORD would be sufficient for me to meet AA's requalification requirements. The problem is that a presidential proclamation has been prohibiting me from entering since January 25. The notion that AA might want to keep its relationship with its frequent fliers who are affected by this proclamation frozen until such time as it is lifted seems reasonable to me. That's all.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:25 pm

OP - one factor you may be missing is the number of UK based elites who are still able to fly AA due to their citizenship. I remember attending an AA event around 10 years ago for UK based EXPs and the vast majority of attendees were Americans (based on accents etc). If many of the UK based EXPs have requalified based on the reduced thresholds there will be little incentive for AA to go after the, perhaps, smaller subset of non- US citizens.
GUWonder, MSPeconomist and gateH15 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
OP - one factor you may be missing is the number of UK based elites who are still able to fly AA due to their citizenship. I remember attending an AA event around 10 years ago for UK based EXPs and the vast majority of attendees were Americans (based on accents etc). If many of the UK based EXPs have requalified based on the reduced thresholds there will be little incentive for AA to go after the, perhaps, smaller subset of non- US citizens.
That is a fair point.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
​​​​​​
​​​​​​This is exactly my situation. I'm an American citizen living in London; the main reason I'm AA EXP rather than BA Gold is that I was EXP when I moved over here, and it made more sense to just stick with that rather than starting from scratch. I suspect the same applies to a lot of us (though not OP) who live here but maintain AA status...
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.