Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else had their CHEAP US-Brazil booking cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody

Received a notice that my EWR-CLT-MIA-GIG 9th November GIG-GRU-MIA-EWR 12th November in Business, purchased on 2/19/21 for $511.55 is cancelled :O ... "One of your flights was canceled and we're unable to rebook your trip. Don't worry, the value of your ticket is safe". Checking on Google Flights the exact itinerary is still availble (at a 'regular' price), and lots with alternate flights/timings.

Is this them cancelling a 'mistake' fare after 6 months !?

Can I force them to accommodate me on the same route (origin/destination) without incurring any extra cost, if flights are showing available, irresspective of current cost ?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Received a notice that my EWR-CLT-MIA-GIG 9th November GIG-GRU-MIA-EWR 12th November in Business, purchased on 2/19/21 for $511.55 is cancelled :O ... "One of your flights was canceled and we're unable to rebook your trip. Don't worry, the value of your ticket is safe". Checking on Google Flights the exact itinerary is still availble (at a 'regular' price), and lots with alternate flights/timings.

Is this them cancelling a 'mistake' fare after 6 months !?

Can I force them to accommodate me on the same route (origin/destination) without incurring any extra cost, if flights are showing available, irresspective of current cost ?
I would absolutely force them to rebook you and if they don't then complain to the DOT for sure.
Spiff and N1120A like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OP, have you called AA yet? I've received the very same message a few times and every time the agent had no problem rebooking me. I think the message translates to "Our computer can't figure out how to rebook you".
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Thanks, Yes, I'm now thinking the same and am on hold with AA

Looks like there are no GIG-GRU flights on the 12th, according to Google Flights. It seems the computer isn't bright enough to just rebook me GIG-MIA-EWR, which is available. FIngers crossed I get the same resolution as you.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Seems like a simple case of a flight cancellation that AA's systems are unable to automatically accomodate. I highly doubt AA is now canceling these tickets 6+ months after the fact, especially with no other reports of the same.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Seems like a simple case of a flight cancellation that AA's systems are unable to automatically accomodate. I highly doubt AA is now canceling these tickets 6+ months after the fact, especially with no other reports of the same.

-FlyerBeek
Exactly. I had the same thing happen where BA canceled a EU-UK flight. AA can't figure it out automatically, so they need a phone call to sort it out.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:35 am
Original Poster

SORTED ... panic over ...... now re-boooked GIG-MIA-EWR on return instead of via GRU.

Thanks for the reassuring words everyone. I normally miss all these type of fares and didn't want to 'lose' this one.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
SORTED ... panic over ...... now re-boooked GIG-MIA-EWR on return instead of via GRU.

Thanks for the reassuring words everyone. I normally miss all these type of fares and didn't want to 'lose' this one.
I had this happen earlier this year where the flight still existed but GOL kept rejecting the rebooking despite the flight showing 9+ seats in all classes. I had to rebook into SDU which worked out better anyway.

GOL is hot mess.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dls25
I had this happen earlier this year where the flight still existed but GOL kept rejecting the rebooking despite the flight showing 9+ seats in all classes. I had to rebook into SDU which worked out better anyway.

GOL is hot mess.
totally. SDU >>>>>>>>> GIG
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Did you ask for GIG-JFK nonstop?
I have similar booking to SDU on both directions for the same fare deal. My trip is on late December and early January. I have not got any email yet. Fingers crossed!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Mine is intact - I booked JFK-MIA-GIG-GRU with GIG-GRU on Gol. The return is GRU-GIG-JFK. I actually want to go to GIG - can I cancel the Gol segments without screwing up the rest of the ticket?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Ty Vil
Mine is intact - I booked JFK-MIA-GIG-GRU with GIG-GRU on Gol. The return is GRU-GIG-JFK. I actually want to go to GIG - can I cancel the Gol segments without screwing up the rest of the ticket?
They will reprice it if you call them. If you don't call them and skip the GIG-GRU, you might lose the return
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
They will reprice it if you call them. If you don't call them and skip the GIG-GRU, you might lose the return
Called AA, they removed the GIG-GRU and re-routed me GIG-MIA-EWR, and did not reprice. The reason I received the email about not being able to be re-booked was a change in time on the only GIG-GRU flight that day which resulted in an illegal connection time.
N1120A likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Called AA, they removed the GIG-GRU and re-routed me GIG-MIA-EWR, and did not reprice. The reason I received the email about not being able to be re-booked was a change in time on the only GIG-GRU flight that day which resulted in an illegal connection time.
Your situation is different than Ty Vil's. You purchased travel between NYC and GIG and kept the same origin/destination; only changed the connection points.

Ty Vil purchased NYC-GRU and wants to change it to NYC-GIG. As mvoight pointed out, that would be subject to a refare. However, with a schedule change, it could be YMMV/HUACA especially if the underlying fare is valid for termination at GIG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.