Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Options when AA says they can't, but really means they won't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options when AA says they can't, but really means they won't

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:39 am

I'm sure OP would be absolutely understanding if AA decided to kick him out of his assigned seat he wanted for a Longer-time "PO'ed" AAdvantage passenger and not be absolutely livid.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The reality is this is a lose-lose-lose situation at this point for every party involved thanks to AA's useless IT and automatic seating/rebooking system.

If it were me personally in this situation, assuming I paid for this ticket with cash I'd probably just cancel the flight, get the refund, and find something else.
Antarius and mnhusker like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, DL, KE, UA, WN
As I said, a dilemma for AA--2 or 1 PO'ed pax? These seats were booked in Jan 21. Although not previously mentioned on this thread, when traveling with my spouse I always book early and reserve a window because she tends to get airsick on rough air TOs and landings. Having external visual reference points alleviates the problem. Of course, this made no difference to AA since "the system did it" and "nothing we can do" prevents them from taking this into account.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Two wrongs don't make a right (AA). That being said complain to AA and they will throw some miles your way. When you board politely ask if someone will switch. If not grin and bear it I'm afraid.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I will change what trip/routing I buy based on seat availability. 4A on a E175 is my favorite and I have become accustomed to sitting there.
To see a flight with XX seat open and then booking it only to be told later - sorry that seat didn't exist - I would be pissed - much like you are now

Expert flyer has saved my azz on numerous ccasians especially when i was flying the whole family (4 of us) on vacations and whatnot.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I will change what trip/routing I buy based on seat availability. 4A on a E175 is my favorite and I have become accustomed to sitting there.
To see a flight with XX seat open and then booking it only to be told later - sorry that seat didn't exist - I would be pissed - much like you are now

Expert flyer has saved my azz on numerous ccasians especially when i was flying the whole family (4 of us) on vacations and whatnot.
Same, if I can't get a seat I like I won't fly on that flight.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Maybe I am in the minority opinion, but I think AA SHOULD by all means kick out the new 6A passenger and reassign a seat. The OP already picked that seat, well beforehand, and it makes no sense to me to protect the new 6A passenger at the expense of the one that has already picked it (presumably months?) ago. AA should throw points and an apology at the OP for the hassle of them having to call to get this corrected.

"it hAApens" and "the new person shouldn't deal with a seat change" aren't reasonable excuses IMO for the OP's position.
What if the OP got 6A because the same thing happened and Passenger X before them had 6A and lost it?

The new person had no dog in the fight here. They simply selected a seat, just like the OP.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by kksBismark
I had long-standing reservations on AA for FCO-ORD in September with PE 6A & 6C reserved on 787-8. AA had a schedule change (not a change of gauge, flight number, routing, etc) and arbitrarily moved my spouse in 6A to 6H, separating us and providing an aisle vs reserved window. Before I caught it, someone booked 6A. Contacted Reservations and asked that whoever they stuck in 6A be moved to 6H, with an explanation that AA made a mistake. Was told "nothing can be done--system did it--we have no control or ability to change--check at the airport on day of flight" etc. Contacted Customer Relations. After a week, was told "we can't change--polices and procedures prohibit," "keep checking online to see if 6A opens up" and "check at airport." E-mailed Julie Rath, VP in charge of CR--nothing.

There is an easy fix to an obvious screw up, but all I get is "can't be done" when in reality AA is saying they won't do it--without having the courtesy of telling why they won't. Been Advantage member since 1986 and have never had this happen. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Wouldn't have "policies and procedure" have prohibited taking away your seat in the first place? So there's really nothing prohibiting them from correcting the problem and giving you back the seat...
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Who ever gets screwed in this should expect a get-well card apology of some sort

It's not right to just ignore the screwie and blame it on the devil-computer
cmd320 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Similar thing happen to my J itinerary for a booking made 10 months ago. Booked 2,3,4,5A on a 772.

2A was mysteriously moved away from group into separate section of J (9A).

Sucks but I signed up for expert flyer seat alert ($0.99) and was able to move 9A to 1A. Once onboard, swapped 1A with 2A.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Who ever gets screwed in this should expect a get-well card apology of some sort

It's not right to just ignore the screwie and blame it on the devil-computer
Absolutely. AA should offer the OP something for messing up their seats. I just don't think that the something is to kick out someone who selected a seat who had nothing to do with it.
Stickboy46 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Antarius
What if the OP got 6A because the same thing happened and Passenger X before them had 6A and lost it?

The new person had no dog in the fight here. They simply selected a seat, just like the OP.
Particularly given the schedule change, it's possible the other pax isn't a new booking at all but was moved to this flight from another one where they held 6A.
onanisland and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kksBismark
As I said, a dilemma for AA--2 or 1 PO'ed pax? These seats were booked in Jan 21. Although not previously mentioned on this thread, when traveling with my spouse I always book early and reserve a window because she tends to get airsick on rough air TOs and landings. Having external visual reference points alleviates the problem. Of course, this made no difference to AA since "the system did it" and "nothing we can do" prevents them from taking this into account.
Do you happen to know if at any time there was another FCO-ORD on the schedule on the same date? I've had the same/similar situation as you and what it turned out was that another flight on the same routing and same date was cancelled and those pax put on my flight. And whoever had seat 6A (or whatever it was on my flight - don't remember) on the cancelled flight, had reserved 6A prior to me selecting 6A. So they were given 6A as they had selected it first, albeit on the other flight. I think in my situation though, the cancelled flight and my flight, once combined, had a new flight number but I can't say for sure.

Point being that it's not always as obvious as we think it is when looking from the outside in.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
If you dial back the clock there were a number of threads exactly on this topic with many hypothesizing that it was a FAM issue. Given this is 6A, highly unlikely as those guys/gals like aisles (& F/J). However, that is another reason why assigned seats get unassigned. Basically, the only advice is to keep an eye on reserved seats if it matters to you. There are no guarantees.

Last edited by JMN57; Aug 11, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
veering off topic here but why is row 6 so important?
IMO unlimited pitch vs. 38" pitch does not offer that much extra comfort in PE.
Row 6 also has the disadvantage of having to put away the screen during take off and landing.
Any row in PE is perfectly fine for me at 6 feet tall.
Actually, I prefer the last row so I make sure nobody behind me starts yanking my seat when they stand up or when punching the touch screen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.