Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent penalty box with comments in passenger record

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent penalty box with comments in passenger record

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Or enforce size limits. Try to bring too big a bag? Put in under this nifty device. Agent pushes a button, lid closes and industrial saws cutoff anything that falls outside allowed allowances. You may now board with your resized, allowance compliant bag. Anything cutoff is thrown away to deter others. 😈
Incinerator for those 3rd (4th,5th) carry-ons?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: HHonors, skymiles
Just like the principal’s threat in high school

I doubt anything goes on your “permanent record.”
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
I think many people have mis-read the OP's post. He describes making the 'Boarding group doesn't matter to you' comment not to the GAs but to the crowd pushing in. In my view not at all unreasonable to call them out - if no-one ever objected then the poor behaviour would simply keep on getting more frequent.
It sounds as if GA #1 misunderstood what had happened and gave OP no opportunity to explain before escalating. Manager didn't do any better. Being busy is no excuse - in fact, the GAs escalation simply increased their workload.
roadtriper, cmd320 and mnhusker like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I have never had an issue with Southwest boarding, as long as I check in 24 hours before
Of course, it would be great if they had first class
I have decided to fly DAL-FLL on WN for my cruise this month (mainly due to expiring credits)
I am sure AA is not going to notice losing that $59 fare each way for each of us
Yesterday, it seemed they were tracking about the same fare WN is having for this sale.
I find it interesting that WN's nonstops are less than connections, and AA (and others) is the opposite

(On that SEA-DFW flight, baggage took an hour at baggage claim, because the belt had an issue)

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 10, 2021 at 9:53 am
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by outgoing
I concur. Since AS joined OW I moved almost all my business to them. I'm actually pondering switching the programs too but will wait until post-pandemic flying comes back again as AA does have a broader network that I might need. Plus AS is about to revamp their program anyways. I can confirm though that AS is night and day compared to AA when it comes to both GAs and FAs. I mean they are actually excited to work and interact with pax. Not sure if they are paid better or the corp culture is better but clearly they are doing something right.
I don’t know. I’ve got over 3 million lifetime BIS miles and have only flown AS a handful of times. One of the single all-time worst flight attendants I’ve ever endured was a runty AS male. Every other AS employee either at the airport and on board have been pretty much on par with AA.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by shd9
If I were you, I would quietly note down both agent #1 and #2's names and file a complaint with the customer relations to 'enter a report in their employee system'- then I'll see what they can do about disciplining the agents. As the posters suggested above, one isolated incident is probably not going to cost their jobs. But if they have been reported frequently enough, hopefully, there would be some actions against this customer-unfriendly behavior.

This is clearly a power trip retaliating against customers who suggested that they are not enforcing boarding zone rules. If such a cursory remark as 'I guess boarding order doesn't matter to you' is flagged, I think that agent could dismiss all AA's pax one way or another.

BTW you are flying from SEA - why don't you fly AS? Their service is usually much better
I was using AA flight credit or trip credit, because I have a lot of that yet. I used to fly AS for every trip to SEA when I worked for a Seattle based company (F5 Networks, for 12 years). and credited the miles to AA
Even more flight credit today, since I canceled our flight to Athens next month. Canceled the cruise due to it now requiring masks onboard and ashore, and because the Israel stops were canceled.
Additionally, a little money back from the cruise line as the replacement cruise from FLL has less fees and taxes (the rest is comped via URCOMP.com)
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Which could also be resolved so easily- require pax to declare they are bringing a carry on at check in.
Yes, in theory but we all know pax will lie or just ignore the declaration or a carry-on to one person may not be viewed as a carry on, is a backpack? Purse? etc?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Yes, in theory but we all know pax will lie or just ignore the declaration or a carry-on to one person may not be viewed as a carry on, is a backpack? Purse? etc?
AA already has a sizing chart for roller boards vs. personal items (fits under seat in front). If it's bigger than a personal item, and you didn't declare you're bringing a carry on, then you're the one who has to gate check. Seems simple enough to me.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
AA already has a sizing chart for roller boards vs. personal items (fits under seat in front). If it's bigger than a personal item, and you didn't declare you're bringing a carry on, then you're the one who has to gate check. Seems simple enough to me.
I agree, you'd think it would be but it's not. When AA charged for carry ons for basic economy, it was a nightmare.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
This isn’t exactly how gate checks work, the initial number is a computer generated estimate but once boarding commences the number can and usually does change.
its the same for AS. But even if you get the the exact computer number? Their procedures were to still visit the jet mid boarding and get an estimate from the FA’s. Part of the reason for that process was to ensure the FA’s were active in helping getting items stowed. Again, this is why AA’s process is crap. If there is ONE procedure, I don’t know what it is as every flight is something different and It adds to the utter confusion that is AA boarding.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
AA and other airlines are becoming hyper vigilant over customer abuse. There are almost daily communications from management to frontline employees about this, and as mentioned above employees are asked to keep tabs on any confrontational passengers at all stages of the flight for follow up action if necessary. All it takes is two employees to corroborate the same story (and it sounds like multiple employees were involved).
This development is very unfortunate. While I very much agree front line agents are subjected to frequent customer abuse over COVID-related travel measures, I have very little trust with a process where it only takes employees to corroborate the same story.
Remember the United 3411/Dr. Dao incident ? The employees tried to covered their backside by reporting that Dr. Dao was "belligerent.". This pattern is looking all too familiar to me today.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum
In re: the Dr Dao incident which was on UA, one wonders if current AA management would have even offered the $800 'get lost' compensation under Mr Parker before calling in the police.
enviroian and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.