Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Garimi
First for all
Iberia main terminal is T3 and was moved to T5 only because of covid.
Yes, you are absolutely right: that was the March 2012 Covid pandemics!

With due respect, that does not really bode well for the rest of your "facts".

[Memory refresher: Iberia to move to Heathrow T5 – Business Traveller ]
wrp96, eddiehuang97 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
If this is confirmed, they are leaving it VERY late to announce it! I'm due on a LHR-DFW flight later in the month, any tips on parking if this is the case? My return leg is T5 with BA (trip is 6 days)
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Garimi
First for all
Iberia main terminal is T3 and was moved to T5 only because of covid.
100% incorrect.

As I already posted - and can be easily checked - IB moved to T5 in 2012 approx a year after IAG was formed.

I though what AA and BA make some deal to handling together passengers (First class) at JFK and LHR T5, but sadly this is not the case,
Again incorrect. BA is moving to T8 at JFK starting in mid November. For a long planned and publicised move. BA and AA even announced the exacts dates a couple of weeks ago - giving 5 months notice!

And for a move now supposedly happening on Friday of this week there is still not a sniff of an official announcement.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Giblets
If this is confirmed, they are leaving it VERY late to announce it! I'm due on a LHR-DFW flight later in the month, any tips on parking if this is the case? My return leg is T5 with BA (trip is 6 days)
Park in T5 Long Term, in Zone D, close to the eastern exit. If you do find you need to go to T3, walk around the barrier into the adjacent T3 Business Parking and get the bus from there.

I've done this many times for out T5 / in T3, or vice-versa.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
hmm… can you give us examples of other terminal changes occurring elsewhere in Europe with less than two weeks notice? I must have missed them.
Good grief orbitmic, you've been around long enough and are intelligent enough to understand what I was referring to. I didn't say there are "other terminal changes" in Europe. A possible terminal change is merely yet another symptom of the disease that is "Summer 2022 UK/European Travel Chaos." In this specific case (if the rumor were true) it happens to be a terminal change, but many of the consequences are the same as all the myriad of other situations that are causing similar outcomes (e.g. cancelled flights on short notice, little ability to get another flight as needed, short staffing, etc.)

That is what this (part of the) thread is about and as I was saying, it is not either/or but something that comes to add to other more general issues you are mentioning (and which, by the way, they are currently a lot worse in the London area than in many other parts of Europe).
Actually, I'm fully aware what the thread is about, however, it's actually been somewhat hijacked from it's original beginning, with it's recent trajectory. And yes, I'm well aware it's a lot worse in London, that is my whole point mate! This, "rumor," were it true, is just another derivation of the same overall "disease" impacting LHR. That is precisely why we sadly have made the choice not to visit any time soon.

You’ve made your calculations and decided that you didn’t have to travel to Europe and that other risks were enough for you not to do so. Totally fine and entirely your prerogative. Plenty of other people don’t have a choice, and others do and have decided the other Tisha were fine by then, which does not in any way mean they’d be happy to get an entirely different issue thrown at then.
Actually, we both know that the most vocal folks in the BA forum (which this thread now seems to be a subset of) probably do have a choice, and like it or not, choice have consequences. At this stage of the game, nobody that actively participates in the BA forum on FT can claim ignorance regarding what is going on at LHR and it didn't just start last week or something. This train wreck has been in motion for quite sometime. I'm not saying I like that, or that I wish it to be so, but it at this point, it is what it is. To choose to travel in this situation is literally courting disappointment and frustration, if not from a possible terminal change, then probably from something else. To deny that fact at this point, is simply delusional.

The truism is that of course, if you are not planning to fly AA (or for that matter IB) transitions at Lhr I’m coming months, then whether AA or IB change terminals or not makes exactly zero difference to you. It is exactly as obvious that to other people who are, it does, and I’m not too sure what your point is telling them it doesn’t when you are not in their situation?
Yes, of course, and you and the other most active BA posters only comment on and participate in threads that directly effect you, correct?

Regards
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scubadu
Actually, I'm fully aware what the thread is about, however, it's actually been somewhat hijacked from it's original beginning, with it's recent trajectory.
Well, I totally agree with you on that. However, for better or worse, precisely because of the importance of the rumour (and also because it's now been placed quite prominently in title and OP), I doubt we'll get back on track until it is either confirmed or disproved. Not something I am happy with, but not something any of us can control for now.

Actually, we both know that the most vocal folks in the BA forum (which this thread now seems to be a subset of) probably do have a choice
I don't know that. What I do know from being on FT for a long time as you say is that important threads like this one attract a lot of people who are neither very vocal nor very experienced but have questions or worries when such bombshells are dropped. Indeed, we have had several already, and I have no doubt many people who are not even contributing are reading this thread worriedly and eagerly. Indeed, I know several personally, plenty of whom have no choice or some trips already booked.

This, "rumor," were it true, is just another derivation of the same overall "disease" impacting LHR. That is precisely why we sadly have made the choice not to visit any time soon.
That's the heart of our disagreement and that won't change. Your point has clearly been "potential terminal change doesn't matter, it is just part of the whole chaos and a drop in the ocean" and I have been just as clear that I disagree. You can keep repeating your point if you want but I suspect that by now, the people who agree with you (and I am sure there are some) will continue doing so and those of us who disagree and think that this is quite a separate issue (and again, I am sure that I am not the only one) will continue to disagree.

Yes, of course, and you and the other most active BA posters only comment on and participate in threads that directly effect you, correct?
First I have absolutely no interest in making this personal. That is not in the least what I have been telling you. You are absolutely right to participate in any thread you are interested in including this one. My point is simply that for people who are travelling the "I'm not travelling there and if you are whatever happens you have been asking for it!" is not particularly helpful. For instance, it is well known that I don't do back to backs, and I don't do mileage runs. I am occasionally contributing to threads about those two things but just to try and inform people about the airports they are asking about or risks or opportunities or whatever it is they are discussing. I don't really discuss the fact that I don't do B2B or MR in those threads because that would not be helpful to people who ask stuff there.

that is my whole point mate!
Oh - do we know each other? Apologies, I had not realised!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well here you go, at last something which suggest this terminal shift may be happening, and possibly why it would happen

Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:02 am

After all the "grief" garimi got, they may indeed have been onto something!! Another article about BA's terminal moves (which may indeed pave the way for the rumoured AA and IB moves): https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...in-terminal-5/
KARFA, jona970318 and mnhusker like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:50 am

Yes indeed. I think we were all being a bit too rational and logical. I don't think anyone expected BA to make panic moves of the majority of T3 routes back to T5 with two weeks notice in the middle of a season, and forcing AA to move all flights back to T3. People have not unreasonably made arrangements based on the terminal they thought they would arrive/depart from, and of course there may be many people who now find their connections in breach of MCTs and need to try and rebook.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes indeed. I think we were all being a bit too rational and logical. I don't think anyone expected BA to make panic moves of the majority of T3 routes back to T5 with two weeks notice in the middle of a season, and forcing AA to move all flights back to T3. People have not unreasonably made arrangements based on the terminal they thought they would arrive/depart from, and of course there may be many people who now find their connections in breach of MCTs and need to try and rebook.
Are you "kidding". BA is under tremendous pressure to "do something"!

The last three months of "endless misery" have the spotlight on them from the press, government and the flying public so BA has to appear to being doing something to change what is going on with operations at LHR.

Bringing everything (or almost everything) back to T5 to consolidate in one spot can be called a "change for good" as the strive for the best use of the staff they have by putting them all in one spot.

Who knows, might even help .

PS: Apologies by the doubters of our LHR insider who said this was coming are appropriate now.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
...and of course there may be many people who now find their connections in breach of MCTs and need to try and rebook.
This is the part that I can't get over, if this does pan out, the T5-T5 MCT is 60 mins while T3-T5 is 90 mins. We're looking at potentially thousands of pax that will need rebooking onto already full BA intra Europe flights at a ridiculously short notice. Seems like a complete disaster in the making.

Not only that, but AA/BA change the schedule on you with less than 2 weeks notice so now your connecting flight is arriving into Paris or Rome or wherever 4+ hours later, is EU compensation due?
orbitmic, wrp96, ryanbriar and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by mnhusker
Are you "kidding". BA is under tremendous pressure to "do something"!

The last three months of "endless misery" have the spotlight on them from the press, government and the flying public so BA has to appear to being doing something to change what is going on with operations at LHR.

Bringing everything (or almost everything) back to T5 to consolidate in one spot can be called a "change for good" as the strive for the best use of the staff they have by putting them all in one spot.

Who knows, might even help .
Well as someone who travels on BA on a weekly basis, and having done so throughout the last two years (barring lockdowns) I certainly am very aware of how BA operations are going. To the extent they are under pressure, it is very much based on their lack of resources which is likely to last until the end of the summer.

I doubt this change has anything to do with press or government tbh.

There will still be routes left in T3, at my count 13 short haul routes although I think a few of those are currently being operated by the AY wet lease.

It will of course be interesting to see whether all these routes move back come W22. I suspect this is a temporary solution rather than a permanent move, and once staffing allows they will be moved back to T3 and AA will come back to T5.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 28, 2022 at 5:19 am
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is the part that I can't get over, if this does pan out, the T5-T5 MCT is 60 mins while T3-T5 is 90 mins. We're looking at potentially thousands of pax that will need rebooking onto already full BA intra Europe flights at a ridiculously short notice. Seems like a complete disaster in the making.
Completely agree.

Not only that, but AA/BA change the schedule on you with less than 2 weeks notice so now your connecting flight is arriving into Paris or Rome or wherever 4+ hours later, is EU compensation due?
Now that is a tough one. Compensation only comes due if flights are cancelled and notification is made two weeks or less before the flight, and the offered rebooking is more than a few hours different. I don't expect there to be cancellations tho. Delay compensation applies where a flight is delayed beyond scheduled departure time, but again that doesn't really apply here as your flight isn't being delayed.

I think duty of care should still apply regardless, so if you are now forced to night stop due to rebooking as a result of the move I would still look to claim back the costs of the hotel from BA/AA.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Well as someone who travels on BA on a weekly basis, and having done so throughout the last two years (barring lockdowns) I certainly am very aware of how BA operations are going. To the extent they are under pressure, it is very much based on their lack of resources which is likely to last until the end of the summer.

I doubt this change has anything to do with press or government tbh.

There will still be routes left in T3, at my count 13 short haul routes although I think a few of those are currently being operated by the AY wet lease.

It will of course be interesting to see whether all these routes move back come W22. I suspect this is a temporary solution rather than a permanent move, and once staffing allows they will be moved back to T3 and AA will come back to T5.
Maybe, maybe not.

Certainly a number of complaints here on FT about the AA people in the BA lounges in T5.

Well this move should make for a reduction in the crowding seen earlier this year as those people all go back to T3. (To stay, we shall see).
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by mnhusker
Certainly a number of complaints here on FT about the AA people in the BA lounges in T5.

Well this move should make for a reduction in the crowding seen earlier this year as those people all go back to T3. (To stay, we shall see).
I doubt BA could really care less about any comments on FT about AA passengers in the lounges in T5 - is there anything we don't moan about?

It certainly would be a daft reason to start instituting terminal moves like this.
mnhusker and AirbusA350 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.