Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I've got a LHR-JFK leg in paid J in Aug that i was mulling upgrading to F, 25k miles + $550. A couple of hours romping in the CCR was part of the calculus. A is available but i am holding fire for now.
IF the flight was moved to T3 then you'd have CX and QF lounges available to you and both are rated very highly. See the Head for Points reviews

https://www.headforpoints.com/uk-air...ounge-reviews/

I have an AA LHR-JFK at the end of July and I wouldn't object if they had moved back by then just so I could visit the QF lounge again!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I understand the point the OP (or the OP's baggage handling friend) was trying to make but to suggest that one of the reasons AA wants to stay in T5 is for less costly rebooking options is just silly. AA will almost always rebook you (or at least try) on AA or BA regardless of terminal.
Exactly. I had no issue understanding the op's point but with respect, I think it makes no sense whatsoever. In case of airline rebooking, their rules matter (and terminal doesn't). In case someone makes a new booking, they will in the vast majority of cases do so online, those just walking to a counter in the terminal if they can even find one with be counted on the fingers of one hand some days and zero others, and of course, the more airlines you compete with, the more could benefit you in return if that ever mattered (it doesn't one bit) when their own flights are disrupted.

I'm really puzzled that the op and thread title have now been changed to reflect this move as gospel. Even the person who announced the change is now no longer suggesting this consolidation will happen on 1 July but on 6 July instead, and to me the evidence of such an imminent change is zero. I'm afraid that we don't have to trust an unknown source just because one fellow member does, and quite frankly, even airline op teams can misunderstand or overinterpret things, and will not be in the secret of complex negotiations, which, for such an impactful move, would only be carried out at the highest level. I will venture a guess that in the absence of a formal confirmation from AA by tomorrow (ie less than 2 weeks before the suggested date), the predicted 6 july move would be immensely unlikely, and unless someone has been able to independently verify the suggested imminent move and has not told us for any reason, i find the current thread title extremely unhelpful and likely to unnecessarily worry scores of passengers who may consider changing their plans due to an imminent event which has an extremely high likelihood not to happen.
prof, VSLover, wrp96 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 23, 2022 at 3:25 am
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
This past Tuesday (21 June) an AA ticketing agent at LHR T-5 check-in told me they were given what she referred to as a "prep notice" for a move back to to T-3 in approx three weeks. She did not give me an exact date, other than to say they are indeed moving moving back. I was handling a rebooking issue in person for a delayed JFK flight (AA 107 slipped to the next morning, 22 June due to maintenance) and she brought the subject up. I'm sure the exact date for AA will be forthcoming very soon, the QR move back to T-4 happened on a similarly short timeline as well.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BONVOY Titanium, Hilton, AAdvantage Gold, UA Silver, Jet Blue
Kind of off topic but we have a BA flight LHR to EDI departing at 13:40 on July 13. I booked a car ages ago for Park Lane pickup at 10:30 but after reading about the T5 issues am wondering if we should leave earlier. Suggestions?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MsAnnMcD
Kind of off topic but we have a BA flight LHR to EDI departing at 13:40 on July 13. I booked a car ages ago for Park Lane pickup at 10:30 but after reading about the T5 issues am wondering if we should leave earlier. Suggestions?
no reason to change as far as I see. Arriving with 1-2 hrs before your flight is plenty.
MsAnnMcD likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by gmt4
This past Tuesday (21 June) an AA ticketing agent at LHR T-5 check-in told me they were given what she referred to as a "prep notice" for a move back to to T-3 in approx three weeks. She did not give me an exact date, other than to say they are indeed moving moving back. I was handling a rebooking issue in person for a delayed JFK flight (AA 107 slipped to the next morning, 22 June due to maintenance) and she brought the subject up. I'm sure the exact date for AA will be forthcoming very soon, the QR move back to T-4 happened on a similarly short timeline as well.
That time line would make more sense, but not one with only a week to go.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I understand the point the OP (or the OP's baggage handling friend) was trying to make but to suggest that one of the reasons AA wants to stay in T5 is for less costly rebooking options is just silly. AA will almost always rebook you (or at least try) on AA or BA regardless of terminal.
Well, when the AA/BA rebooking option is 24 hours away, and when another airline has available seats that day, SOME people (especially business travelers) will choose to rebook themselves (or have their TAs do it) and take a refund the cancelled flight. I think the first priority is how soon can the alternate flight get me there, and having to do a landside transfer from T5 to another terminal certainly CAN factor into whether or not you'd be able to make it to that flight. (Though if there's, say, a 2-hour ticketing deadline for an online purchase, that would be enough and the terminal transfer wouldn't be the gating item). Nonetheless, I don't imagine that the terminal change is make-or-break for switching airlines all that often, but it can certainly happen sometimes. Enough for it to be a KEY reason for AA to want to stay in T5? Eh, probably not.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:53 am

Its not key reason buy one off...key was connecting passengers

Now HAL confirmed date of move to AA operation officer
It will be 12 July
Late flights on 11 July will arrive at T5 and aircrafts will be moved to T3

Iberia is also moving to T3 on 12 July.

Last edited by Garimi; Jun 24, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
Am flying on AA38 MIA - LHR on July 11th arriving 9:25 on July 12th. Will I be arriving at Terminal 3? Hope so as this will be easier for my rental car reservation.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
I'm sure the exact date for AA will be forthcoming very soon, the QR move back to T-4 happened on a similarly short timeline as well.
If I recall - the QR move has been in the works for quite a while. Nevertheless, it’s a minus for CKs, those In F and connections to / from in T5.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm sure the exact date for AA will be forthcoming very soon, the QR move back to T-4 happened on a similarly short timeline as well.
not really. Whilst the exact dates and details took some time to be confirmed, the move back to t4 for qr and others had many weeks of lead time and publicity across multiple platforms. Hal is not some sort of dictatorial regulator that bullies airlines. It’s a company which has every possible incentive to work with them on smooth transitions and ensuring everyone is prepared and at least reasonably happy.

Bear in mind that at this stage not a single source among the very many with insiders at HAL seem to have heard anything similar to what has been mentioned here just yet. For QR, they were already discussing it abundantly in march.
VSLover, wrp96, ryanbriar and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingfriar
Am flying on AA38 MIA - LHR on July 11th arriving 9:25 on July 12th. Will I be arriving at Terminal 3? Hope so as this will be easier for my rental car reservation.
If I were you I would continue to plan on the basis you are arriving in to T5.
orbitmic and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Garimi
Its not key reason buy one off...key was connecting passengers

Now HAL confirmed date of move to AA operation officer
It will be 12 July
Late flights on 11 July will arrive at T5 and aircrafts will be moved to T3

Iberia is also moving to T3 on 12 July.
There is not one sniff of this on the IB board! I find that highly unusual.

There is absolutly no need for IB to move from T5. They have been in T5 ever since 2012. BA isn't going to kick it's sister airline out and I don't see any reason why IB would want to move to T3.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is not one sniff of this on the IB board! I find that highly unusual.

There is absolutly no need for IB to move from T5. They have been in T5 ever since 2012. BA isn't going to kick it's sister airline out and I don't see any reason why IB would want to move to T3.
I've just tried a dummy booking on Iberia's UK site for September and they are still showing as T5
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
not really. Whilst the exact dates and details took some time to be confirmed, the move back to t4 for qr and others had many weeks of lead time and publicity across multiple platforms. Hal is not some sort of dictatorial regulator that bullies airlines. It’s a company which has every possible incentive to work with them on smooth transitions and ensuring everyone is prepared and at least reasonably happy.

Bear in mind that at this stage not a single source among the very many with insiders at HAL seem to have heard anything similar to what has been mentioned here just yet. For QR, they were already discussing it abundantly in march.

Indeed the reopening of T-4 was in work for some time. That was no surprise. It takes considerable effort to reopen a terminal after two years but it’s not the case with T-3 which is already open. Hence, the shorter timeline possible for carrier moves back there. The exact schedule for airline moves back to T-4 is far more recent (in the last few weeks) than the announcement that T-4 would be reopening. For anyone concerned, collecting a rental car is just as easy from T-5 as it is T-3, and no extra effort is exerted for a driver picking someone up at arrivals at either.

That aside, I got my information direct from an airline representative, and with the given date of July 12 it seems her information was more or less correct.

I’m not sure why some here have their undies in bunch about their insiders not knowing or not willing to speak about it, or *gasp* that they weren’t consulted and able to break the news first. Airport authorities and airlines don’t need a consensus on FT to make their decisions. They don’t care one bit what anyone here thinks. Fussing about the trivial keeps this forum alive I suppose.
jona970318 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.