Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by enviroian
Probably not if you're an EXP traveling Y, J or F as you can check in at BA F and access security right there off to the right and dumps you out near the horse!
Not if you're transiting. Yes, you can in theory access the First Wing to transit, and I've done it, but that involves going through UK immigration and going airside, which is not a practical alternative right now due to Covid procedures and long waits at the UK border.
enviroian and KARFA like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
Probably not if you're an EXP traveling Y, J or F as you can check in at BA F and access security right there off to the right and dumps you out near the horse!
I’m talking about the security you have to go through when changing planes at LHR. I’m Concierge Key traveling in F and had to stand in line like everyone else. On the way to ATH the connections area in T5 was a zoo, and both of our carry-ons were selected for additional screening. They go through piece by piece. It was like watching the DMV sloths from Zootopia.

In T3 we were literally the only people in the entire security screening area. I’m sure it helped that currently the LAX flight is one of the last to leave (5pm) for the day.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I would value the ability to go to the CX lounge (in normal times) more than worth the trek through duty free.
Good point, but through anecdotal observation, it seems that most of the even top tier AA flyers have no idea they can use some other OW lounge than the one they are "invited" to. I remember taking a stroll to the AA Flagship First Lounge (back in the day) at LAX when they were under renovation. Packed, while the QF First Lounge was practically empty. The contrast couldn't of being higher between the two lounges on space, offerings etc. but there they all were, happy, I suppose, but I trekked back to the QF lounge as fast I could.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Any rumours or gossip regarding when the AA arrivals lounge might open?
(I don't expect it will be for a long time as BA's has been closed in T5 for ages and shows no sign of reopening, but I can live in hope)
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The BA lounge was reopened at T3, so no reason fret . No indication when the other (AA, CX, QF) lounges will come back online. Given the low volumes to pax allowed to both Hong Kong and Australia, their lounges will not probably open for awhile.
Trip thru LHR in December, fingers crossed the CX lounge pops back open. That lounge in T3 is a joy.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Any reasoning behind leaving the JFK flights at T5?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Any reasoning behind leaving the JFK flights at T5?
my guess is that AA and BA will make pitches to their corporate customers that by operating from a single terminal at LHR, the carriers can provide a near shuttle type operation, including ability to depart on earlier/later flights on either carrier, as desired. The significant downside to AA’s split operation is pax confusion about which terminal is the correct one.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:46 am

Connecting thru LHR

Thanks for the tip about Security check at LHR. The last time I was there (2019) they were really obnoxious. I travel with prescription meds in tubes which they rejected. I am headed there today on my way to CDG so will need to be extra careful. You saved me a lot of money 👍

Originally Posted by DynamoLA
I’m talking about the security you have to go through when changing planes at LHR. I’m Concierge Key traveling in F and had to stand in line like everyone else. On the way to ATH the connections area in T5 was a zoo, and both of our carry-ons were selected for additional screening. They go through piece by piece. It was like watching the DMV sloths from Zootopia.

In T3 we were literally the only people in the entire security screening area. I’m sure it helped that currently the LAX flight is one of the last to leave (5pm) for the day.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 12, 2021 at 12:46 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:55 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by JDiver
American Airlines has just split operations at London Heathrow as air traffic has increased.

New York JFK flights continue departing (BA) Terminal 5.

Other AA flights depart the recently reopened Terminal 3. ONLY the BA lounge is open (closed lounges include AA Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge, CX, QF, see following post) are open at Terminal 3. This may change as traffic increases.

https://milesfromblighty.boardingare...s-at-heathrow/
Can AC members use the BA clubs? Coming in AA, leaving BA. In premium economy for now coming in, but on list for upgrade.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OTD
Can AC members use the BA clubs? Coming in AA, leaving BA. In premium economy for now coming in, but on list for upgrade.
Not normally, unless there's some kind of special allowance for this particular situation with T5.

If you're Sapphire or higher then you can use the BA J lounge, Emerald or higher the F lounge.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:10 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by OTD
When AA moved their flights to T5, they allowed Admirals Club members access to the Galleries Club lounge "when traveling on an American Airlines flight". My belief is that you have to be departing on AA metal -- the wording on AA.com for partner lounges in Europe is "Must present your membership card and boarding pass at lounge check-in counter for same-day departure on an American Airlines operated flight."

So my guess for your situation is no, but it can't hurt to ask.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VFR
When AA moved their flights to T5, they allowed Admirals Club members access to the Galleries Club lounge "when traveling on an American Airlines flight". My belief is that you have to be departing on AA metal -- the wording on AA.com for partner lounges in Europe is "Must present your membership card and boarding pass at lounge check-in counter for same-day departure on an American Airlines operated flight."

i cannot find the post at the moment but earlier this morning on the BA board there was a report of someone being turned away from the BA lounge and saw there were agents at least at the desk in the AC who called down to the BA lounge to ensure the pax was allowed in. i cannot find that post at the moment but signs point to yes as of now given there are almost no BA flights from T3 at the moment.
VFR likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DynamoLA
We just experienced T3 at LHR yesterday coming back ATH-LHR-LAX. We were in F, and I can confirm the BA lounge is open (just the Club side, not the First side). Food choices are meager — pre-packaged sandwiches, chips (crisps), muffins. Definitely not comparable to the food in BA First lounge in T5 we had on the way out.

The good news is that the transfer Security at T3 was much easier and faster than T5. The bad news was the AA document check took a while, even with not that many people in line.
This is really bad for F and CK/EP pax as we lose access to the premium lounge amenities at T5. Im shocked there is not a provision for this subset of pax as you'd want to keep them happy during meager times. I, for one, will reroute through other alliances where possible with this downgrade.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:29 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by VFR

I should have been more specific: Coming in on AA metal, leaving on BA metal, but it's an AA flight number. Also, I have no idea which terminal(s) I'll be using. I just know I've got a six-hour layover and would REALLY like to spend it in a club, rather than in the terminal.
I keep hearing that the Centurion Lounge is opening "soon," but no clue what that means.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OTD
I should have been more specific: Coming in on AA metal, leaving on BA metal, but it's an AA flight number. Also, I have no idea which terminal(s) I'll be using. I just know I've got a six-hour layover and would REALLY like to spend it in a club, rather than in the terminal.
I keep hearing that the Centurion Lounge is opening "soon," but no clue what that means.
"IF" AC members still have access to the BA lounges, which wouldn't surprise me, then it wouldn't matter if it was on AA or BA metal, or if which of the two marketed it. AC access for members only requires flying on a OW operated and marketed flight. At the end of the day, AA would be paying BA for the lounge access regardless, so BA could care less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.