Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that assuming you're not checking a bag, the question is whether you can enter airside at T3 with a T5 boarding pass (I believe the opposite is not allowed due to T5 conformance checks). I'm almost certain you can access Flight Connections Centre and get to T5 from the T3 departures area. I'd probably check on the BA board for more insight about getting into T3.

That said, how much time are you really going to spend in the lounge with your father vis-a-vis what you would be spending with him before arriving at the airport? And does he have lounge access on his own or is this also a scheme to get him into the lounge? (If so, it's fine, but technically he needs to leave the lounge if you do).
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
so no you can't enter T3 from landside without a T3 bp, and same for T5.

if you are arriving on another flight in to LHR, then yes you can enter T3 with a bp for a flight departing another terminal to use the amex lounge etc. you can't do this at T5, you can only go through connections in T5t if you have a bp for a departing T5 flight.

the plan to buy a throwaway T3 flight to go in to T3 would work. obviously you may need to pick carefully to ensure you can check in with regards required tests etc for your faux destination. i can't speak for other carriers, but at least with ba you can request a future travel voucher anytime up to when check in closes so an hour before the flight and at least you can then use that value towards another flight. you can then exit T3 airside to go to the airside connection buses to T5 at the appropriate time (see this post for some detail on how to get out) bearing in mind you must be at the connections centre in T5 no later than 35 minutes before your scheduled flight departure time.
_kurt likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
That said, how much time are you really going to spend in the lounge with your father vis-a-vis what you would be spending with him before arriving at the airport? And does he have lounge access on his own or is this also a scheme to get him into the lounge? (If so, it's fine, but technically he needs to leave the lounge if you do).
He's QF Platinum One, I'm AA EXP (both live on opposite sides of the US for work but from AU). So it really doesn't matter.

It's just he was always a QF Emerald when I was a kid and I really just liked the idea of going to the QF or CX Lounge together on this trip since we don't travel together often. I'm in my 30s but I got into all of this because I loved going to the QF lounges as a kid. I remember when the QF F lounge opened at SYD.

That, and honestly having been to all the BA, QF and CX lounges at LHR... the T5 lounges really need some love. CCR is ok but I'm in J.
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Feb 16, 2022 at 6:45 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Do all AA flights from JFK now also arrive at T5 at LHR? I’ll be taking AA142, the daytime JFK-LHR in a few weeks, and was curious if I could count on arriving at T5.

Last edited by tmm1012; Mar 1, 2022 at 9:34 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by tmm1012
Do all AA flights from JFK now also arrive at T5 at LHR? I’ll be taking AA142, the daytime JFK-LHR in a few weeks, and was curious if I could count on arriving at T5.
Good question! Looks like it from expertflyer. Doesn’t mean that the plane won’t park at T3 and you get sent by bus to T5 though!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
How is the T5>T3 connection time these days?

Have 3h30 layover at LHR but landing/departing in T5.

Thinking about taking the bus to T3 and having some noodles at CX now that it's reopen, but guess I probably need to leave 1hour before departure to not miss the flight due to conformance check at T5.

Assuming 30mins each way that gives about 2h to go lounge hopping around T3
I seem to remember (pre-pandemic) really long waits for the bus, however...
​​​​​

​​​​​
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
... the T5 lounges really need some love. CCR is ok but I'm in J.
Really? Love? What on earth does that mean? I find Lounges that most sterile places outside an operating theatre
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea
Doesn’t mean that the plane won’t park at T3 and you get sent by bus to T5 though!
that's very very unlikely with a AA JFK flight.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
that's very very unlikely with a AA JFK flight.
However the AA JFK-LHR day-flight is a three class aircraft not a four class aircraft. This arrives at 22:10 and then the corresponding three class LHR-JFK doesn't depart until 19:30 the next day. Presumably this means the plane will be towed to T3 after it arrives at T5 (and goes somewhere other than JFK the next morning), but there is always the heightened risk of a bus in this scenario.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:45 am

It will possibly be towed to a remote T5 stand, but not a T3 gate.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:48 am

It will possibly be towed to a remote T5 stand, but not a T3 gate.
Why would it not be towed to a T3 gate if it's operating a T3 flight the next morning (which is presumably more likely than it spending 20 hours on the ground)?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea
Why would it not be towed to a T3 gate if it's operating a T3 flight the next morning (which is presumably more likely than it spending 20 hours on the ground)?
It would be towed to a remote first in between arriving on a T5 gate and offloading, and being put on a T3 gate closer to departure if that were the plan for the aircraft.

Planes aren't supposed to occupy T3 gates for more than a few hours, either they are being turned around or they get towed to a remote.
spanishflea likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 2, 2022 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just checked in with AA at T5 for the first time:
- Website says that check-in opens at 6am, in fact it's 6.30am
- No access to CCR unless GGL member of BA - only Concierge Key get in to CCR - confirmed by BA staff at lounge and AA at check-in. Got in with my GGL card.
- Staff are not very helpful or pleasant - I guess they have few customers - 8 per flight - that it's boring.

Last edited by Markie; Mar 2, 2022 at 11:39 pm
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Markie
Just checked in with AA at T5 for the first time:
- Website says that check-in opens at 6am, in fact it's 6.30am
- No access to CCR unless GGL member of BA - only Concierge Key get in to CCR - confirmed by BA staff at lounge and AA at check-in. Got in with my GGL card.
- Staff are not very helpful or pleasant - I guess they have few customers - 8 per flight - that it's boring.
so aa in F doesn’t get access to the ccr? This seems contrary to what has been happening for the last few months since the ccr reopened.

EDIT: and the oneworld site which for the ccr says aa and ba
f gets access.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 3, 2022 at 12:27 am
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
so aa in F doesn’t get access to the ccr? This seems contrary to what has been happening for the last few months since the ccr reopened.
That's what happened to me today certainly.
The BA web site certainly suggests it's only F on BA.

oneWorld web site says:
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.