Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA
A bit confused here.

I’m scheduled AA metal to arrive LHR at 7am T3. Have connecting flight BA departing from T5 at 11am.
I was going to stay airside and transfer to T5 and hit club to shower etc.
Am EXP flying business seat.
What are my options now?

thanks for the help!
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PaiMei
A bit confused here.

I’m scheduled AA metal to arrive LHR at 7am T3. Have connecting flight BA departing from T5 at 11am.
I was going to stay airside and transfer to T5 and hit club to shower etc.
Am EXP flying business seat.
What are my options now?

thanks for the help!
Pardon me, but not sure what is confusing about this?

It's like it was pre-covid. You haul yourself to T5, re-clear security, and take a shower at one of the BA lounges there.. Just like you said.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Pardon me, but not sure what is confusing about this?

It's like it was pre-covid. You haul yourself to T5, re-clear security, and take a shower at one of the BA lounges there.. Just like you said.
And to add to the above - pre or post covid, T3 to T5 is not an airside connection
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Antarius
And to add to the above - pre or post covid, T3 to T5 is not an airside connection
Hi,

If you take the flight connections bus from T3 to T5 it is airside ( you have to go through transit security at T5.

If you went landside, you would have to clear immigration at T3 then you would be in the public landside areas then need to take the Underground or train to T5 then head up to the departures level and go through standard departures security (fast track available)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: AA
When able, I try to avoid connecting in LHR (and CDG), however remember using AA lounge T3 on layover where they had very nice shower facilities. Yes, have used the BA lounges in T5 including their cramped antiquated showers located in the common spa area and requiring one to get in que. I recall hearing that the spa was shuttered so wondered if this option was also gone.

I don’t recall having to exit airside on any connections I have made through LHR in past.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by PaiMei
When able, I try to avoid connecting in LHR (and CDG), however remember using AA lounge T3 on layover where they had very nice shower facilities. Yes, have used the BA lounges in T5 including their cramped antiquated showers located in the common spa area and requiring one to get in que. I recall hearing that the spa was shuttered so wondered if this option was also gone.

I don’t recall having to exit airside on any connections I have made through LHR in past.
I'm sure it was somehow possible, but generally speaking if your connection was from T5, you didn't have access to the T3 lounges. Of course, if your connection was from T3, then no issue. The AA Arrivals Lounge is not open either, so even if you were willing to go through immigration, that option is not available.

Even without exiting airside, LHR has always required re-clearing security, even if staying in the same terminal.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
If you take the flight connections bus from T3 to T5 it is airside ( you have to go through transit security at T5.
Is that security only available for connections and not those just entering T5 landside?
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

If you went landside, you would have to clear immigration at T3 then you would be in the public landside areas then need to take the Underground or train to T5 then head up to the departures level and go through standard departures security (fast track available)

Regards

TBS
It's a different connection, but it isn't airside. You have to re clear security.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:47 pm

It's a different connection, but it isn't airside. You have to re clear security.
It's airside in context that you don't need to exit through Immigration and Customs.. They just require re-clearing through security, which has been SOP at LHR for as long as I've flown through there. Just different from US "airside", and definitely different than connecting through the US to another foreign destination which requires clearing ICE even without any intent on stepping on US soil otherwise.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
There are many airports where you have to go through transfer security to connect to your next flight, but you’re still airside.
There are only two options: airside and landside, and the only way to get landside at LHR after arriving on an AA flight is to go through immigration, luggage hall, and customs.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Is that security only available for connections and not those just entering T5 landside?
Yes. Otherwise you need to go through the standard security as if you were coming from London. But they can make the airside security re-clearing just as miserable as the other, so the only benefit is really skipping Immigration lines and navigating the options, such as HEX to move between the terminals.
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
We are flying from Lis to LAX thru LHR. I saw that our BA flight from LIS arrives into T5. We have about 3.5 hours before connecting to 135 to LAX. Do I have the ability to use the lounges at T5? Or do I have to do flight connections and head over to T3 for the LAX flight? From reading the posts, the lounge choices at T3 are crap and few. Whereas the lounge choices at T5 are better. I’m an ex-plat flying in F. Any suggestions? Also, we completed our VeriFLY app “paperwork” Does that make transiting easier. Sorry for the newbie questions. It’s my first time thru LHR post Covid, so I really don’t know how to navigate it well. Thank you for all help and suggestions.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tomj888
We are flying from Lis to LAX thru LHR. I saw that our BA flight from LIS arrives into T5. We have about 3.5 hours before connecting to 135 to LAX. Do I have the ability to use the lounges at T5? Or do I have to do flight connections and head over to T3 for the LAX flight? From reading the posts, the lounge choices at T3 are crap and few. Whereas the lounge choices at T5 are better. I’m an ex-plat flying in F. Any suggestions? Also, we completed our VeriFLY app “paperwork” Does that make transiting easier. Sorry for the newbie questions. It’s my first time thru LHR post Covid, so I really don’t know how to navigate it well. Thank you for all help and suggestions.
you can't go in the airside departures area of T5 unless you have a bp for a flight departing T5, so unfortunately the T5 lounges will be out of bounds for you.

when you arrive, and assuming your bags are checked through which they should be if all on one booking, then you would follow the purple signs for "Flight connection T2/3/4" and take the airside buses to T3. Once at T3 there will be a bp check and security before you go in to the airside departures area there.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by tomj888
As KARFA mentioned, only access to T3, but to me more accurate, it is during Covid. But that aside, do remember that you can request actual champagne, even at a BA Biz lounge. Not very well publicized for obvious reasons...
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As KARFA mentioned, only access to T3, but to me more accurate, it is during Covid.
to be fair this was the same prior to covid too, and has been the rule ever since t5 opened - so no access to t5 airside departures without a bp for a flight departing t5.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.