Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...hr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) youíll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 28, 22, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
LHR is such a horrible transit point anyway. The need for US and EU originating passengers to reclear security is so silly.
Itís exactly the same in many many countries, including the USA.
camdentown and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 2:15 pm

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
Itís exactly the same in many many countries, including the USA.
In the European market, not really.

At AMS, ZRH, FRA, MUC, HEL, CPH, and I think MAD this isn't the case. And these are BA's direct competitors (other than MAD of course since IB is a BA affiliate).

At ARN and CDG, Schengen to non-Schengen transfers do not require re-clearing security.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
LHR is such a horrible transit point anyway. The need for US and EU originating passengers to reclear security is so silly.
You should try transiting at JFK or ORD or MIA or DFW orÖyou get my point. You need to reclear security aaaand immigration and pick up your bags and go through customs (even if transiting to another country) and then finally go through security at which point you can try to find the right desk to get you on a new flight in place of the one you just missed.
Old Jun 28, 22, 5:31 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I never transfer at LHR and loath driving the extra distance to T5 from central London then taking the train to the AA gates @ T5. For o&d passengers I think this is a positive.
taxicabnumber likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Official announcement - Itís 12th July!

And we have an official announcement - and date - 12th July from AA

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...hr-airport.jsp

“We’re moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

“Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

”Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.”
SK, Buster CT1K, Abidjan and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks to the op for having given us the heads up, not least in the face of our rather wide-spread scepticism.
SK, Buster CT1K, scoonee and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 3:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Before this gets into a BA v AA contest which is unwinable, let me say this. I was highly sceptical about IB movi g tomT3. It seemed mad to me for these changes to be made in the height of season to be most singular. I am also minded to want to verify changes like this. AA were returning to where they had been pre-Covid. Iberia have been in T5 quite a while.

i
Old Jun 29, 22, 3:12 am

Kudos to the OP for sharing his intelligence and bothering to come back in the face of widespread pushback!

For others who have spent a lot of time telling the OP/inferring that this wouldn't happen based on their "experience" they should take a good hard look at themselves. State your point for sure, nobody else cares if you believe this is credible or not - move on if you don't accept what is being said.

FT would be a much lesser place if people such as the OP didn't report intel such as this because they couldn't be bothered to deal with the pushback. If there is ever a year for chaotic changes such as this its 2022 which is obvious to anyone familiar with the industry.
Old Jun 29, 22, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by morrisunc View Post
I never transfer at LHR and loath driving the extra distance to T5 from central London then taking the train to the AA gates @ T5. For o&d passengers I think this is a positive.
Also, for those of us coming by Crossrail, twice as many services to T3 as to T5.
orbitmic, KARFA and mnhusker like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 6:59 am

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
1) Congrats to Garimi and gmt4 (basically confirming) for getting this one right - although initially Garimi got the move date wrong.

2) Boo to the naysayers who were so strident and confident in their assertions that this possibly could not happen and that inside scuttlebutt has the value somewhere about that of a dirty cigarette butt

3) can we have the mods revise the thread title to note that the new date is now apparently -confirmed-

4) does this mean we will see a full reopening of AA lounges at T3 (including the arrivals lounge) - not that I care. I'll be eating curry in the CX lounge.
NickP 1K, SK, SW7London and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
4) does this mean we will see a full reopening of AA lounges at T3 (including the arrivals lounge) - not that I care. I'll be eating curry in the CX lounge.
I really hope so, if anything just to keep the peasants who don't know any better out of the CX lounge . The arrivals lounge has been open for a while now, btw.

In all seriousness I passed through LHR about 2 weeks ago flying back to RDU (this was about 8:30-9:30am on a Tuesday) and the CX F lounge was as busy as I ever remember seeing it pre-covid, all due to AA pax. They're going to have to do something as in the morning rush I don't think CX (at least the F side) can handle 4-5 more 77W's full of F pax and EXP's
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:56 am

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
I really hope so, if anything just to keep the peasants who don't know any better out of the CX lounge . The arrivals lounge has been open for a while now, btw.

In all seriousness I passed through LHR about 2 weeks ago flying back to RDU (this was about 8:30-9:30am on a Tuesday) and the CX F lounge was as busy as I ever remember seeing it pre-covid, all due to AA pax. They're going to have to do something as in the morning rush I don't think CX (at least the F side) can handle 4-5 more 77W's full of F pax and EXP's
CX knows a revenue opportunity here in its superior product! Why not just let CX fly the LHR-JFK route already ?!
Old Jun 29, 22, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
3) can we have the mods revise the thread title to note that the new date is now apparently -confirmed-
Generally the best way to get a hold of a moderator is to send a PM or use the Report Post feature. We don't look at every post in every thread every day; well I don't at least, and I'm fairly sure that the others don't either.
I had posted to a thread in the BA forum yesterday, and someone replied to me with the link to the AA website, so I was alerted to the change that way. I've edited the thread title and added the link to a newly created Wikipost on this thread.
BERGBRLY, orbitmic and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 8:49 am

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Generally the best way to get a hold of a moderator is to send a PM or use the Report Post feature. We don't look at every post in every thread every day; well I don't at least, and I'm fairly sure that the others don't either.
I had posted to a thread in the BA forum yesterday, and someone replied to me with the link to the AA website, so I was alerted to the change that way. I've edited the thread title and added the link to a newly created Wikipost on this thread.
Thanks for the revision. FWIW, is the ending day really 11 July? The press release states that T3 is in full operation on 12 July. Ending 12 July implies there will be some T5 service on 12 July.
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
If you are an EXP and/or flying J or F on AA, T5 is a cake walk. I went through there yesterday flying 81 home to DFW. Walk in the main terminal, go all the way to the right (zone J) and walk into the F area for BA. Look to the right and there are two AA staffed and marketed check in for customers who are emerald/EXP/J/F. Security is right there what is a huge bonus and takes all but a few minutes and you are plopped right into their F lounge. The lounge is average and unlike DFW's "flagship" lounge there is nothing out on offer (except drinks, pretzels, and mixed nuts). You have to order everything to your seat. I think it's a carry over from the covid excuse days but since I wasn't in this lounge prior to covid I can't confirm.

You exit down an escalator and then a long one down to the train to take you to B and C gates.

Search this Thread