Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
If AA moves JFK-LHR & LHR-JFK to T3 @ LHR what are my best options for both arrival and departure lounges? Will be flying First Class both ways. TYIA
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by EncFlyer
If AA moves JFK-LHR & LHR-JFK to T3 @ LHR what are my best options for both arrival and departure lounges? Will be flying First Class both ways. TYIA
Arrival - AA T3 Arrivals lounge - IMHO much better than BA T5 arrival lounge.
Departure T3 - CX First (my pref) or the QF lounge- both very nice lounges to relax before your flight.
EncFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EncFlyer
On AA both ways?

You would use the AA arrivals lounge in T3 for your JFK-LHR And for LHR-JFK any of the oneworld departure lounges in T3 - so CX F, QF, or BA F. Personally I would use CX F.
AirbusA350 and EncFlyer like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Someone just posted a question on the IB board because their LHR-MAD flights sometime in July are showing arriving/departing from T3. I pointed them here so possibly they can get more info.
oruvin likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
There will still be routes left in T3, at my count 13 short haul routes although I think a few of those are currently being operated by the AY wet lease.
BA will have 20 flights per day from T3 after movements( they cannot move everything due not enough gates at T5) , information from AA source....

and I know lots of people will be in trouble with minimum connection time T3/T5 due AA/Iberia/BA movements. This is reason I post news about change ASAP i had it...of course people don't believed because it doesn't have sense... LHR management/BA doing thinks which they shouldn't in short notice...but who Am I? I don't have 6 figure payslip
serfty, SW7London, wrp96 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jun 28, 2022 at 12:59 pm Reason: corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
That's the heart of our disagreement and that won't change. Your point has clearly been "potential terminal change doesn't matter, it is just part of the whole chaos and a drop in the ocean" and I have been just as clear that I disagree. You can keep repeating your point if you want but I suspect that by now, the people who agree with you (and I am sure there are some) will continue doing so and those of us who disagree and think that this is quite a separate issue (and again, I am sure that I am not the only one) will continue to disagree.
I don't wish to drag this exchange out much more either but I want to be very clear, I'm NOT saying/implying that a change of this magnitude "doesn't matter." That is NOT at all my position. If you believe that is my position, then I've failed to communicate my thoughts very well. That said, I prefer to deal in realities, not wishes and I firmly believe that hope is not a strategy. My observation was simply that if this occurs (and it now appears it will), it's just one more bad thing to occur, in an ever growing list of bad things occurring at LHR during the Summer of Chaos. Recognizing and accepting that reality does not imply I wish it to be so. You (and a few others) seem to be implying this particular item is "the worst bad thing ever" and I'm just saying its on par with the endless list of bad things occurring with BA@LHR over say the last 5 years, even pre-covid (e.g. IT meltdowns, etc.).

The other point I made, is that regular FT posters or "lurkers" (or even anyone following mainstream travel media) simply can no longer claim ignorance regarding what is happening at LHR. If you have observed what has been happening both at LHR and with BA specifically over that last two years, you can't book travel during the summer season and simply "hope" it will all work out. That is just not being intellectually honest. So, I'm NOT saying anyone "deserves" a bad outcome, but there is an old phrase that says something to the effect of "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" and at this point, many BA fliers are well past twice...

First I have absolutely no interest in making this personal. That is not in the least what I have been telling you. You are absolutely right to participate in any thread you are interested in including this one. My point is simply that for people who are travelling the "I'm not travelling there and if you are whatever happens you have been asking for it!" is not particularly helpful. <snip>
I too am not trying to make anything personal and I apologize if it comes across that way. However, your original comment seemed to sort of imply, "why are your injecting yourself in this discussion if it doesn't impact you?" I believe one can be educated and have a point of view on something even if it doesn't impact them at the moment. In terms of "helpfulness," we had an FT member come forward and share information regarding the likelihood of this occurring and the responses from many in this forum were actually a bit hostile to that information and somewhat in denial. In hindsight, which posts do you believe were more "helpful" to those impacted by this decision? Honestly, I'm really not even sure what helpful responses would look like in this scenario. It's a pretty drastic action on the part of BA/AA and there really isn't much that can be done about it, other than react.

Oh - do we know each other? Apologies, I had not realised!
Apologies, not my intent to offend. Have always had great respect for your contributions, even when I disagree.

Regards
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:50 am

Whoever was saying that Iberia moves to T3 - was correct. Just got confirmation on the phone with Iberia regarding our late July/August flights LHR-MAD-LHR. Also if you do dummy booking on the Iberia website, all flights past 12th July show T3 and up to 25th March 2023, after that it's back to T5. Now just need to sort parking... Changing online T5->T3 Meet & Greet reservation is asking for an additional Ł110!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
Originally Posted by oruvin
Changing online T5->T3 Meet & Greet reservation is asking for an additional Ł110!
Depending on how much time you have allowed, you could just keep your parking as it is and just transfer between the terminals? Although I imagine the convenience of meet and greet would make this a less attractive option, but then it's Ł110
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scubadu
I don't wish to drag this exchange out much more either but I want to be very clear, I'm NOT saying/implying that a change of this magnitude "doesn't matter." That is NOT at all my position.
Not quoting the whole post but all noted and agreed. I think maybe we just misunderstood each other's position and got a bit side-tracked. As it happens, it looks like we may all have much bigger fish to fry in this new sequence of events. I think it indeed going to add a hell of a lot of mess for many people to the whole situation and I find those developments still quite extraordinary whatever they entail exactly (the paradox is that so far, the least communication we have is precisely about AA even though this is the very forum on which the discussion emerged!). I think it will be an "interesting" few weeks and I expect a lot of unhappiness on passengers' part and a lot of questions coming our way from people wondering what the hell is happening to their itineraries!! (as well as what has started to emerge on parking, hotels, etc)
scubadu likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Not quoting the whole post but all noted and agreed. I think maybe we just misunderstood each other's position and got a bit side-tracked. As it happens, it looks like we may all have much bigger fish to fry in this new sequence of events. I think it indeed going to add a hell of a lot of mess for many people to the whole situation and I find those developments still quite extraordinary whatever they entail exactly (the paradox is that so far, the least communication we have is precisely about AA even though this is the very forum on which the discussion emerged!). I think it will be an "interesting" few weeks and I expect a lot of unhappiness on passengers' part and a lot of questions coming our way from people wondering what the hell is happening to their itineraries!! (as well as what has started to emerge on parking, hotels, etc)
Completely agree with all points. It is an absolutely mess. We (my wife and I) so long to return to the UK and Europe (and not being able to do so is seriously hindering my progress to BAEC Gold!) but given the crystal clear evidence of what is going on at LHR, it's just not worth the anxiety, frustration, and pain. I'm a big fan of learning from mistakes, preferably the mistakes of others, and I've seen enough to be convinced that I need not experience it for myself in order to believe it. So, those travel dollars will go to other destinations, at least for now.

Good luck and safe travels.

Regards
scoonee likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Maybe for once I'm glad I booked my connection via LGW?
orbitmic and SonomaFlyer like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

From London Air Travel, updated today

https://londonairtravel.com/2022/06/...l-3-july-2022/

“Iberia will move all flights between London Heathrow and Madrid from Terminal 5 to 3 from Tuesday 12 July 2022.”

“It’s not clear if this is temporary to make space to allow BA to have as many flights at Terminal 5 over the summer or a permanent move. Iberia flights are showing as staying at Terminal 3 during the winter season. BA flights to Madrid will stay at Terminal 5. At present, the change is only showing on the Iberia website and has not fed through to codeshare flights on ba.com”

“American Airlines flights to Dallas / Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami and New York JFK are still showing as operating from Terminal 5. It is highly likely they will move back to Terminal 3 as well.”
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I fly internationally in J out of Miami. Having to put up with MIA is quite enough, thank you very much, without having also to change terminals at LHR between terminal 3 and onward flights from terminal 5. It's just as easy to fly to another connection point where the connection itself won't take two hours (which is what it does between T3 and T5 at Heathrow). Been there, done that.

There are other options -- MAD, FRA, and YYZ (for destinations served nonstop by Air Canada) come to mind, even IST would be preferable despite overshooting much of Europe.

I don't know what the answer is for Heathrow, but seamless connections at the European partner hub is sine qua non for a lot of business travelers.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
^ ... and yes, there are flights on BA to T5, but their late evening A380 is a horrible experience, so that's not an option.
-- the lounge distance to the dungeon gate in MIA terminal E is unpleasant
-- the A380 itself is a poor experience in Club World
-- did I mention the dungeon gate at E ?
-- friends don't let friends travel on BA from Miami
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
LHR is such a horrible transit point anyway. The need for US and EU originating passengers to reclear security is so silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.