Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I really thought some of the T5 moves (at least JFK) were there to stay so surprised it is reversed at such short notice!
Originally Posted by wrp96
That was my thought. This is extremely short notice.
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am sorry but this makes no sense. Why are they being moved out of T5 especially since they already confirmed a number of thier routes would stay in T5 for at least S22? With QR gone to T4 there is less pressure on the T5B gates now which both QR and AA used. Using remote T5 stands sounds very odd for T3 flights.

I think someone has added 2+2 to make 22. Personally I would wait for AA to say something,
Originally Posted by Garimi
I think BA finally didnt approve they part move to T5, it was temporary all the time.
I just pass message witch have AA baggage team at LHR, the finish split operation and all come back to T3...and also they start handling 8 Iberia flights...also they will provide checkin agent's...
I am willing to bet this is just garbled information. It frankly does not make sense that AA planned to operate some routes from T5 for S22 and with two weeks notice are moving everything to T3, neither does it make sense that BA do not want them in T5.

IB are switching from using BA to someone else for baggage handling, although I can't immediately recall who they are using, it may be AA. It was announced that IB were stopping using BA maybe 1/2 months ago.

EDIT: for reference the news about IB stopping using BA https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...otel-to-close/
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I too think it makes no sense that AA would make such an impactful decision that would affect tens of thousands of passengers and also MCT on connecting itineraries of which there are many (and many would become invalid with such a move), with less than 10 days to go to July, and would not immediately communicate about it as loud and clear as possible and in particular write with urgency to affected passengers. Terminal moves are typically decided and anounced months in advance for a reason.
Originally Posted by fatmac70
I heard the same rumor as well of 1st week in July all AA flights at T3. I was told when checking in at T3 for a flight to Philly. The lady at check-in did come over very convincing and we both agreed very short notice.
Shame as CX First Class lounge was very quite. However T3 does not need more flights as the non fast track security queue was very long - my flight was delayed 50 mins waiting for passengers or having bags taken off for those that missed the flight.
Y'all have to remember BA and AA don't make decisions on their own about the Heathrow operations. The airport itself is a separate private company that works with the airlines, but is responsbile for the overall operations. Who knows what was written in the contracts, but perhaps they are trying to re-balance loads given the massive headaches recently experienced there due to the massive rebound in travel.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Y'all have to remember BA and AA don't make decisions on their own about the Heathrow operations. The airport itself is a separate private company that works with the airlines, but is responsbile for the overall operations. Who knows what was written in the contracts, but perhaps they are trying to re-balance loads given the massive headaches recently experienced there due to the massive rebound in travel.
Except T5 is very much a BA run terminal so i very much think BA does have a leading say on what happens in there.

As long as BA are willing to move enough flights out to T3 to make room - which they have done - I can't see HAL demanding AA must go back to T3.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Good news and bad news. Bad news is no more CC room. Good news is access to the Cathay lounge...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:31 am

The American Airlines official site still shows We have moved operations to Terminal 3. If you’re flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.
I would have thought that this would be the first place that would indicate any move. A dummy booking for after 1 July still shows as T5!!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Except T5 is very much a BA run terminal so i very much think BA does have a leading say on what happens in there.

As long as BA are willing to move enough flights out to T3 to make room - which they have done - I can't see HAL demanding AA must go back to T3.
Leading, but not final. With the staff shortages, they need to use as much mechanical resources they have, i.e, luggage conveyers as possible to reduce bottlenecks which have been apparent at T5..
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Just flew this last Sat AA 137 LHR-LAX - inbound from DFW was 2 hours+ late which meant they lost original gate in T5B and got a T5 Remote stand. Suffice to say this meant catering, crew transit, etc were slow. Even with inbound arriving in plenty of time to ensure our flight would be on time if at a terminal gate, being remote meant they took forever to deboard, do bags/cargo off and on, catering had to wait on that to complete + cleaning. Reboarding started one hour + late - took more than 10 bus drops to get boarded. Boarding was way over 1hr 20min.

Let's hope if they move back to T3, they work on actual gate use vs remote stands.

At T5 - this was done from A10 which is a multi gate area down one level in T5A that does bus boarding. That same day QR had moved BACK to T4 - which is now open again.

We were in F - so had NO issues accessing CCR - but in all honesty I would have preferred the CX or QF lounges in T3.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:05 am

Leading, but not final. With the staff shortages, they need to use as much mechanical resources they have, i.e, luggage conveyers as possible to reduce bottlenecks which have been apparent at T5..
If that's the reason for changes I wouldn't be moving more flights in to T3. The bottlenecks in T5 at the moment mostly relate to BA flights and BA's own staffing and lack of resources in ground handling. AA do their own handling so moving to T3 doesn't in any way help with this. I am not aware of any bottlenecks due to luggage conveyers. Security screening in T3 seems worse than T5 as well. T5 can and did handle more flights pre covid than it does currently. Many of BA's long haul routes are still not back to normal levels, and of course QR has just moved out to T4 further alleviating pressure on T5.

As I said, I doubt HAL would demand AA return all flights to T3 which is already struggling atm, and I haven't heard a logical reason why they would do.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Y'all have to remember BA and AA don't make decisions on their own about the Heathrow operations. The airport itself is a separate private company that works with the airlines, but is responsbile for the overall operations.
That would be one more reason to think that what is being reported is improbable: HAL has just worked with airlines on the return to T4 and we can see they have been collaborative in approach, communicative, and given many weeks of lead time to make the transition smooth.
wrp96, crazyarmadillo and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:50 am

I just received update
AA T5 operation should return to T3 on 6 July, but its still subject to Iberia confirmation date. AA is in talks with HAL and hope to confirm everything till end of week.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I’d wonder how many rebookings this would necessitate on relatively short notice, since I’d think there would be connecting passengers that are currently booked meeting T5-T5 MCT, but not necessarily T3<->T5 MCT.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I transferred T5 to T3 on Friday and T3 to T5 on Sunday. Neither was fun. Long queues and delayed buses were the order of the day. Also, the lack of a fast track for connecting passengers at T3 is a real nuisance.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Garimi
I just received update
AA T5 operation should return to T3 on 6 July, but its still subject to Iberia confirmation date. AA is in talks with HAL and hope to confirm everything till end of week.
Please provide a source. Until you do you are just going to cause a lot of people a lot of worry wondering bout their connections etc

Why would AA need Iberia to confirm anything? If AA are stillt talking to HAL then nothing has been confirmed.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jun 21, 2022 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:50 am

source is from AA LHR baggage team, and its going to happen, maybe some delay because of HAL. Then they will get final date decision I let You know. For now is 6 July.

I know its big news for people with connections.

They cannot manage to handle Iberia then it will be still at T5 big headache for operations, they still recruiting and with Iberia will need even more staff.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:10 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
So I am on AA (after many changes the last week) in F LHR to MIA this Thursday. It is still showing T5, can I presume that will not change and CC lounge will be available?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
So I am on AA (after many changes the last week) in F LHR to MIA this Thursday. It is still showing T5, can I presume that will not change and CC lounge will be available?
yes you will still be in T5 on Thursday, and you can use the Concorde Room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.