Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...hr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) youll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

Old May 6, 22, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
AA did a terminal switch at LHR for some routes and LAX was one.
Old May 7, 22, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by destone View Post
In addition, since when is it departing LAX TBIT over T4?
Last fall they were using TBIT, I assumed due to ground crew staffing and T4 crowding issues. Years prior it's been gate 41. Looks like it left gate 43 yesterday (Thursday) which is odd.
Old May 7, 22, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by mxracer95 View Post
Years prior it's been gate 41. Looks like it left gate 43 yesterday (Thursday) which is odd.
Not uncommon for LAX-LHR to use Gate 43. There's also some construction work taking place in the Gate 41 area.
Old May 7, 22, 7:19 am

What is the long term plan for AA flights in T5?
Old May 7, 22, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stopwatch430 View Post
What is the long term plan for AA flights in T5?
The long term desire for AA is to operate totally from T5

But it's BAs desire to bring all it's T3 flights to T5 as well as this will save it a shed load of money.

I think the issue with AA fully moving over in the short term is the availability of gates in the B and C terminals #

If T5C were to be extended to the same number of gates as B that would help but there is little desire at present to spend the to do that.
Old May 7, 22, 8:49 am

Programs: Lots
Does anyone know why the AA 136 LAX-LHR lands at LHR T5 instead of T3?

What does this mean with regards to Arrivals
Lounge? I prefer the AA Arrivals Lounge (T3) over BA (T5) by a wide margin.

I flew it last weekend and even though we landed at T5 they still gave a card for the AA Arrivals Lounge. So if you really prefer it you should still be able to enter, would just have to take the tube between terminals.
destone likes this.
Old May 9, 22, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
AA will be extensively using TBIT gates 150-159 (with an emphasis to use 151, 153, 155, 157) as T4 is completely rebuilt, T4 will start to lose gate counts during the two main phases of reconstruction. The existing T4 building which is still the 1960s shell is being demolished and replaced in phases, each of those phases takes out a chunk of gates each time. Some domestic flights will also be using these gates. Specifically these gates have easy airside access for AA as they are direct opposite T4 from an operational point of view.
Old May 9, 22, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
AA will be extensively using TBIT gates 150-159 (with an emphasis to use 151, 153, 155, 157)
From the looks of it, they've already started to. Was in the FL a couple weeks ago and noticed that all 4 of those gates on the east side were occupied by AA narrowbodies.
Old May 23, 22, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Ive got an AA LHR-DFW coming up in December. Currently listed as leaving from T3. Any ideas if this will stick? Or will LAX, MIA and DFW remain in T5 along with JFK?
Old May 23, 22, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
Ive got an AA LHR-DFW coming up in December. Currently listed as leaving from T3. Any ideas if this will stick? Or will LAX, MIA and DFW remain in T5 along with JFK?
Who knows. Nothing has been announced officially other than that DFW, MIA, and LAX were moving over to T5 along with JFK for the extent of the summer schedule (through October 30).
RichieMc likes this.
Old May 23, 22, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
I’ve got an AA LHR-DFW coming up in December. Currently listed as leaving from T3. Any ideas if this will stick? Or will LAX, MIA and DFW remain in T5 along with JFK?
Nope, flight details in Sabre and other tools (e.g. ExpertFlyer under flight details) shows October 29th as the LAST day for T5 on these flights, they revert back to T3 then. Now it can change but it is clearly up to Oct 29th for now. I see LAX is gone the same day as well

Old May 23, 22, 11:23 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
The T5->T5 connection for AA flights becomes a nightmare quickly (most recently, midday yesterday).

There are no kiosks for boarding passes and there are typically 2 agents available who quickly get swamped whenever inbounds have missed connections.
Twice I haven't been able to get my AA boarding pass at my point of departure and both times has resulted in a very long wait in the T5 transit area.
Combined with the usual unavailability of the Fast Track security lanes and its easily a multi-hour labor to get connected.

Maybe its more reliable to just clear immigration and then go to T5 departures now that covid entry requirements are relaxed?
Old May 23, 22, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by jef787 View Post
The T5->T5 connection for AA flights becomes a nightmare quickly (most recently, midday yesterday).

There are no kiosks for boarding passes and there are typically 2 agents available who quickly get swamped whenever inbounds have missed connections.
Twice I haven't been able to get my AA boarding pass at my point of departure and both times has resulted in a very long wait in the T5 transit area.
Combined with the usual unavailability of the Fast Track security lanes and its easily a multi-hour labor to get connected.

Maybe its more reliable to just clear immigration and then go to T5 departures now that covid entry requirements are relaxed?
Hi,

That might be a good idea depending on queues. If you can use the e-gates ( ie US or UK passport among others) then walk past customs and take the lift to departures.
As an AA Exp you can use the First wing (separate AA desks there) then use First Wing security

Regards

TBS
GaryZ and jef787 like this.
Old May 23, 22, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post

As an AA Exp you can use the First wing (separate AA desks there) then use First Wing security
Sounds like it could be a real sanity saver - I'll keep it in my back pocket for next time.
Old May 23, 22, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by jef787 View Post
This is a brilliant idea, I wonder if anyone has tried this, particularly US Citizens? I've been through here recently and fortunately didn't have to wait in line despite my boarding pass not working, but that line was several hundred people long at the time and I'll be risking it again this weekend.

Search this Thread