Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by darkrider
To add to the AA misfortune I'm supposed to go to Boston from DCA tonight. Flight was supposed to go at 8pm. I've been getting updates throughout the day and they finally seem to have settled on delaying it until 11:15pm with a change of aircraft. Nothing like getting constant emails saying your flight is further and further delayed. I tried to switch earlier, but those are all sold out. I can't imagine this is just weather, but am certainly frustrated with them.
Not weather: the entire mid-atlantic and new england were clear today. Looks like it was late leaving DCA. It came from CLT and arrived DCA on time.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:41 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I don’t expect you to be fluent in all languages but some basics in English, Spanish, French and a few words in other countries would go a long ways in being a good guest. I’ve been to 88 countries and make an effort. The “ugly American” returned a few years ago so there’s work to be done.
I travelled Taiwan, Korea, Philippines, China. Hong Kong, and Thailand in Asia for 24 years and was very proud of the fact that I was able to speak in a more or less native tongue in Hong Kong but really learning the other languages? I have worked in Mexico and vacation in the DR for weeks at a time and can speak some Spanish but don't penalize me for not being a linguist. When it comes to flight disruptions if you are not conversationally fluent in a language you need to speak english and it is not too much to expect an American airline to staff that way. However what I see in POP and often saw in smaller stations in Asia is local contracted staff and a handful of actual airline employees who could speak english,

So I make it a point to be able to say thank you wherever I go. Have you mastered that in 88 countries?
bchandler02 and cmd320 like this.

Last edited by abk; Aug 6, 2021 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 7, 2021, 4:26 pm

Looks like AA is still having some IROPS problems where they are stretched thin. A319 flight out of DFW to MTJ was cancelled yesterday bc the aircraft had a maintenance issue and there was no replacement Airbus for a 6 hour out and back roundtrip.

Had to rebook into GJT and pray I could get a rental car there (thankfully Alamo hooked me up), but it seems crazy that AA is stretched that thin, especially given the plane would be turning around and going right back to DFW.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Collierkr
moght want to attribute your complaints to the airlines that are sucking wind… AA and SW. not sure UA is in that same bucket.
SW is really sucking wind since they liquidated 6 months ago.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Rolling delays due to mechanical issue on my flight this afternoon at DFW. AA2791 4:45pm scheduled departure to MCO. Just delayed further now to 7:25.

GAs continue to hide as you can see in this photo. We do get periodic updates when they decide to emerge from the jetway. But the updates are no more helpful than the monitors.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tismfu
Rolling delays due to mechanical issue on my flight this afternoon at DFW. AA2791 4:45pm scheduled departure to MCO. Just delayed further now to 7:25.

GAs continue to hide as you can see in this photo. We do get periodic updates when they decide to emerge from the jetway. But the updates are no more helpful than the monitors.
Just be glad you’re stuck on the ground in the airport as opposed to on the plane on the ramp waiting for a gate at MCO two hours after landing with absolutely no service in F. I’ve done the latter recently and it was very very unpleasant.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tismfu
GAs continue to hide as you can see in this photo.

Were they ducking down? I don't know why but I find that picture quite amusing.

Walk down 7 gates to the AC and enjoy some plastic!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enviroian

Were they ducking down? I don't know why but I find that picture quite amusing.

Walk down 7 gates to the AC and enjoy some plastic!
People here like to poo poo having an AC membership but this is why you spend the money or miles. Not for the cheese cubes. But in the case of a delay like this 1. You're in a lounge not an overcrowded uncomfortable gate area where people have no clue about using headphones 2. The AC staff won't hide from you-they will work to find out the real story 3. If you want to consider alternatives again the AC staff will help you. GAs will tell you to su$k it.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The C club was surprisingly empty and tranquil last night despite the number of delays. With rolling delays I didn’t feel comfortable hanging out for too long there, however, and when the GA would emerge from the jetway (perhaps he was hanging out with crew on the plane?), he would tell us “thirty more minutes” for an update but not return for an hour. And the GA / pilot (who also came out a couple times) told us it was a mechanical issue, while the AC agent told me they were waiting on another crew member.

And they only had one GA which definitely slowed the boarding process once we were able to get on the plane.

I would’ve stayed longer in the AC but I have a lack of trust in the reliability of the boarding push notification — that’s on me, though!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
People here like to poo poo having an AC membership but this is why you spend the money or miles. Not for the cheese cubes. But in the case of a delay like this 1. You're in a lounge not an overcrowded uncomfortable gate area where people have no clue about using headphones 2. The AC staff won't hide from you-they will work to find out the real story 3. If you want to consider alternatives again the AC staff will help you. GAs will tell you to su$k it.

I was in AUS AC earlier this afternoon. Original flight AA2198-AA2697 AUS-DFW-LAX. AA2198 started rolling delAAy crAAp, agent insisting I would have enough time for connection even with the AA2198 delay. I checked FR24, all red. So I told her I'm concerned AA2697 might get canceled (even it's a 789) hence I will be stranded in DFW. She said "oh the weather is getting better in DFW so you should be fine". I asked for rebooking on AS, she refused. Later I got another AC staff, asking her to rebook on AS. She said she could put me on AUS-LAX direct flight AA539 but I wouldn't get the upgrade. I said what about you rebooking me on AS in main cabin and I will get the upgrade automatically since I'm MVP 75k? She said she can't rebook me on other carriers if AA has seats available. Tension was high. I said fine, thank you I will keep my original itinerary and went into the lounge.

Exec Plat line was 90min wait, so I called mandarin line, 5min wait. Told agent the AS flights I wanted (AUS-BOI-LAX), reissued right away. So now I'm about to board the BOI-LAX flight back home, and it will land LAX sooner than AA2697 from DFW and AA1086 from AUS. I don't fly AA enough to judge whether the "cannot rebook on other airlines when AA has seats" statement from AC staff was true or not, or perhaps I was pushing a bit too hard on rebooking other airlines. But I need to get home man. At least with AS I know I can get home on the same day.

Sorry about the long rant, perhaps I was just unlucky I got two AC staff like this, or perhaps I was too lucky the mandarin line agent rebooked me on AS so I'm able to come back home without worrying about being stranded in DFW/AUS.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by 985X
Sorry about the long rant, perhaps I was just unlucky I got two AC staff like this, or perhaps I was too lucky the mandarin line agent rebooked me on AS so I'm able to come back home without worrying about being stranded in DFW/AUS.
I've noticed agents, either on the ground or over the phone, have been pretty blunt about not rebooking on Alaska. That conversation has gotten shut down fast the few times I brought it up.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
While your other points are valid, plenty of AC members have no clue what headphones are...
JoeWoodstock and jhalapin like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 10:10 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by freeagent
I've noticed agents, either on the ground or over the phone, have been pretty blunt about not rebooking on Alaska. That conversation has gotten shut down fast the few times I brought it up.

Because they are afraid AA elites trying AS once and never going back to American. I'm currently flying BOI-LAX on an E75L. Three choices for main, on a tray with metal cutlery. I asked for orange juice. FA only has small juice box that only fills 60% of the cup. So he gave me two. Followed by warm cookie. Followed by snack basket. Me and my seatmate both got peatos (basically Cheetos made from peas). I asked for napkins, my seatmate didn't. FA came over, gave both me and my seatmate napkins and a wipe, saying "your hands may get dirty eating this". Then FA walked around with a tray full of water bottles around first class cabin after the snack service. 2hr flight with 12 F seats, FA was busy the entire time serving pax. If anyone experience this kind of service on a 2hr non-premium/flagship domestic route on AA, I will give him $100.
GrumpyYoungMan and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by freeagent
That's insane. Especially if they're willing to endorse over to DL/UA.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PLT
Sat on the tarmac for an hour last night because there were no available gates. An issues because of “weather” earlier in the day. Unfortunately, C club was long closed by the time I finally arrived. Rolling delays from crew availability. Saw the GA disappearing act, though was assured nome of the crew would timeout for the brief moment he was at the at the podium…. 10 minutes before the flight was cancelled some time around midnight… because of crew timeout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.