Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Stripe
So either the lines in terminal C were really, really long, or you mean the lines in terminal A.

Hate to defend AA but it's always easier for another airline to operate in and out of another's hub when things are bad. The number of flights and complexity at the hub is huge compared to when that airport is just the end of a spoke. No need to worry about crews moving from one flight to another, no shortage of gates when everything slows down, etc. I've been on AA out of ATL during a DL meltdown and was very glad I was.
I would disagree with this claim. A counterexample would be MSP. In winter weather, DL operates their own de-icing station(s), where the planes come to the de-icing equipment and it almost seems like the aircraft drives through a carwash as it's being sprayed with de-icing fluid simultaneously from both sides. Other carriers don't have the equipment and often face long waits during the long winters. I suspect that the same is true at DTW.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Hate to defend AA but it's always easier for another airline to operate in and out of another's hub when things are bad. The number of flights and complexity at the hub is huge compared to when that airport is just the end of a spoke. No need to worry about crews moving from one flight to another, no shortage of gates when everything slows down, etc. I've been on AA out of ATL during a DL meltdown and was very glad I was.
Not sure I entirely agree. In my experience, comparisons with other weather-prone hubs (DEN, MSP, etc.) seem to always have a better recovery of operations for it's respective hub airline than AA at DFW. And, honestly, the weather at those airports tends to be more significant than what DFW experiences (namely thunderstorms in the summer and the occasional winter ice storm).

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Concerto
Apparently Spirit Airlines management told airport staff to change out of uniform into normal clothes and split, literally run away from the airport as fast as possible. Passengers were getting very aggressive and threatening to riot. I hope AA doesn't ever stoop to that level.
While I certainly hope AA never has a meltdown severe enough to inspire rioting, if such a thing happens I would prefer that they keep their employees safe rather than asking them to face down a violent crowd.
wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So either the lines in terminal C were really, really long, or you mean the lines in terminal A.
Whoops... Definitely a mistake on my part! LOL.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by zymm
While I certainly hope AA never has a meltdown severe enough to inspire rioting, if such a thing happens I would prefer that they keep their employees safe rather than asking them to face down a violent crowd.
This is on their website. Yeah this instills confidence.

Travel Advisory: We are experiencing a high volume of cancellations throughout our network, please check your email and flight status before going to the airport.
Due to long lines at the airport, the fastest way for assistance is to
click here and select "Let's Chat"
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
This is on their website. Yeah this instills confidence.

Travel Advisory: We are experiencing a high volume of cancellations throughout our network, please check your email and flight status before going to the airport.
Due to long lines at the airport, the fastest way for assistance is to
click here and select "Let's Chat"
Just to note for others that's on Spirit's website, not AA.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I'm stuck in Bogota right now. What these cancellation statistics don't know is the flights, like mine, that were subject to rolling delays until the crew finally timed out. So the flight that was supposed to be at 11:45 PM last night, is actually scheduled for 4 PM today. If I can get my checked bad off the cart in BOG I'm bailing on the flight entirely and either switching airlines or getting something through MIA.

Also explain to me why 80% of American Airlines staff in BOG doesn't speak English.
Maybe because it is a Spanish speaking country? You still have 20% of the staff that can help those who aren’t capable of learning the language of the country they visit.
Tanic likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by enviroian
My guess is you chose the option that would allow you to bring back a cooler of Walleye on board.
And perhaps a couple bushels of freshly picked cherries too.

If I were running fish, I certainly wouldn't trust an AA timetable!

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Maybe because it is a Spanish speaking country? You still have 20% of the staff that can help those who aren’t capable of learning the language of the country they visit.
I never knew how good my Spanish was until I got in an argument with AeroRepública staff at ADZ... and won!

I'm surprised at the comment that 80% of AA staff at BOG don't speak English. In my experience at that airport, practically all staff assigned to AA and DL (at the time, DL contracted handling to AV but I believe AA had its own Passenger Service employees) spoke English.

Last edited by Herb687; Aug 5, 2021 at 7:36 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
And they want to build more gates.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/nine-new-gates-coming-to-dfw-offering-expanded-presence-to-american/amp/

Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) is getting a bit bigger.

The airport’s board approved a $140 million contract on Thursday, Aug. 5, for the construction of nine new gates in terminals A and C, an expansion project to add capacity to the massive airport. The action was first reported by Alan Scaia, a reporter at KRLD in Dallas.

All airlines have had some sort of meltdown in the last 5 years or so. It seems like sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. At least AA recovered faster than Spirit is.

Last edited by aztimm; Aug 6, 2021 at 10:36 am Reason: FT Rule 7
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
And perhaps a couple bushels of freshly picked cherries too.

If I were running fish, I certainly wouldn't trust an AA timetable!

I never knew how good my Spanish was until I got in an argument with AeroRepública staff at ADZ... and won!

I'm surprised at the comment that 80% of AA staff at BOG don't speak English. In my experience at that airport, practically all staff assigned to AA and DL (at the time, DL contracted handling to AV but I believe AA had its own Passenger Service employees) spoke English.
All AA (and contracted) staff outside the US speak English. English proficiency is required in the job postings and RFPs. Just because someone is speaking Spanish doesn't mean they can't speak English.
enviroian and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Let's face it "meltdowns" are the new normal because:
1. Even more packed planes
2. More flights concentrated into fewer banks to save money
3. Less resources (TAs, GAs, etc.) because $49 fares don't support adequate resources
4. Infrequent flyers that haven't a clue what to do but stand in line with the other 500 passengers trying to get rebooked into seats that do not exist.

Since our government decided to bail out the industry there was no rationalization of the industry. Just airlines executives offering more cheap flights, cutting costs and when that doesn't work going to Uncle Sam and demanding a bailout.
Maybe I'm not on the right routes, but my flights recently have been Y7+. The fare equation above shouldn't matter when the government bailed them out multiple times during COVID.

I wish my business could get continually bailed out. Gotta privatize those profits and socialize the losses, but I digress...
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Seriously? How sanctimonious is that. I've been to over 50 countries... do you expect me to learn every one of their languages?

In any event, even back in the good old days when AA flew to such 'exotic' locations as VVI, LPB, and ASU, more often than not AA agents would either just talk to me in English (due to my being an obvious gringo) or ask me if I preferred Spanish or English. (My Spanish is ok though, so I always prefer to go that route.)

Overall though, I have always been impressed with AA's attention to the language skills of their staff, both in-flight and at the airport.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by kabroui
Seriously? How sanctimonious is that. I've been to over 50 countries... do you expect me to learn every one of their languages?

In any event, even back in the good old days when AA flew to such 'exotic' locations as VVI, LPB, and ASU, more often than not AA agents would either just talk to me in English (due to my being an obvious gringo) or ask me if I preferred Spanish or English. (My Spanish is ok though, so I always prefer to go that route.)

Overall though, I have always been impressed with AA's attention to the language skills of their staff, both in-flight and at the airport.
I don’t expect you to be fluent in all languages but some basics in English, Spanish, French and a few words in other countries would go a long ways in being a good guest. I’ve been to 88 countries and make an effort. The “ugly American” returned a few years ago so there’s work to be done.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My anecdotal evidence is there’s definitely operational issues completely unrelated to weather, and issues which have worsened over the past few months.

Last week my flight out of DFW was delayed three hours due to crew availability (non-weather) related. Then when we had crew they didn’t have a “push back” team.

Today out of DFW (good weather) we closed the door early but they don’t have enough “wing walkers” for us to push back.

Perhaps I’ve been lucky, but with weekly DFW flights for months now ground crew availability has never been an issue.

Surely staff is running thin like in many industries, and AA can’t keep up.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
To add to the AA misfortune I'm supposed to go to Boston from DCA tonight. Flight was supposed to go at 8pm. I've been getting updates throughout the day and they finally seem to have settled on delaying it until 11:15pm with a change of aircraft. Nothing like getting constant emails saying your flight is further and further delayed. I tried to switch earlier, but those are all sold out. I can't imagine this is just weather, but am certainly frustrated with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.