Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

AA Meltdown That Started Over the Weekend

Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enviroian
I really don't know if it's AA that has such issues at DFW or DFW ops in general. Basically when it rains there you're F'd and that goes for any airline operating.
The issue is that AA since COVID 19 AA has slammed more flights into DFW (and CLT) and with bigger banks of flights and 95% load factors there isn't a seat for all the butts needing a seat.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I really don't know if it's AA that has such issues at DFW or DFW ops in general. Basically when it rains there you're F'd and that goes for any airline operating.
Same issue at CLT. If it rains there, near there, or anywhere on the way there, delayed or canceled.
hurnik likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Of course there's always the question of which kind of weather/whether delay it really is.

Was the Weather the real issue or Whether or not AA was really ready for it and could be bothered to actually do something to remedy the situation(s)?

I've seen way too many of both kinds with the US carriers compared to the rest of the world as far as recovery is concerned.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:59 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anyone fly through JFK or LGA recently? First time back in the sky since Mar 2020... Schedules seem to look good out of JFK so I'll hopefully be fine getting to Athens through NYC this weekend. Hopefully the mess with DFW/MCO/etc. doesn't reach up here.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by fotographer
I would like to see the EU 261? applied to US based airlines.... I know its never going to happen, and yes since the
airlines always can blame the weather,,,, customers are stuck with no recourse...
We unfortunately has customers have a very few rights....
[To extend this thought] in addition to EU 261-style rules, there ought to be a more formal way to determine that weather is the cause, so airlines can't use it as a crutch. To be fair, I'm not sure what kind of system or procedure that would look like, but I think it's necessary.
dogcanyon likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I'm sure the weather in DFW was crap 3-4 days ago. The fact that it's going on a week later and they haven't recovered from it is what I find incomprehensible.
The weather was crap on Sunday and Monday. That was 2 days ago, not a week ago. So far today, Flight Aware has DFW showing origin 2% of flights cancelled and 12% delayed (which would also include Spirit's meltdown). So certainly much better than it was.
dls25 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
crAAp .
You win FlyerTalk. 🤣
catawba likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The US needs a strong passenger bill of rights. Something like EU261, although I'd like to see it even stronger.
dogcanyon, lowfareair and ExpatExp like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by doc4science
Anyone fly through JFK or LGA recently? First time back in the sky since Mar 2020... Schedules seem to look good out of JFK so I'll hopefully be fine getting to Athens through NYC this weekend. Hopefully the mess with DFW/MCO/etc. doesn't reach up here.
I have been through both airports several times in the last month. No delays whatsoever.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by KansasMike
I'm surprised no one has posted about the AA (and, to a lesser extent, Sprit) meltdown that began over the weekend.
No, the AA operational meltdown started in mid-June. AA's operation sucked before mid-June but I would offer June as when things went from bad to spiraling out of control bad.

Originally Posted by dls25
...but there actually has been really bad weather in DFW the last few days -- hours and hours of thunderstorms often accompanied by hail.
Wrong. There has not been any severe weather (thunderstorms, hail) around DFW since late morning Monday.

They are not really lying this time,
It's now Thursday. DFW weather has been fine since Monday afternoon. I won't accuse AA of lying. But AA has lost control of their operation. AA is in meltdown.

I really don't know if it's AA that has such issues at DFW or DFW ops in general.
Your first sentence directly contradicts your second sentence. In sentence #1 you claim you don't know and then in sentence in #2 you offer this:
Basically when it rains there you're F'd and that goes for any airline operating.
Sentence #2 is just plain wrong. I have plenty of experience flying out of DFW on AA, DL, and UA. If it's just rain (plain old liquid rain, even strong liquid rain, not associated with frozen precip or convective activity), then DL and UA have no problem operating on time at DFW (provided, of course, there's no convective activity/snow/ice at their hubs).

DFW's runway configuration, ramp space, etc. is quite efficient as airports go. Both DL and UA operate just fine at DFW when DFW is routine LIFR.

Of course since you're one of those people who allow themselves to be hub captive and only fly AA, how would you even know if non-AA carriers at DFW are delayed? Should have ended your post at sentence #1 and let us free agents answer for you!

Last edited by Herb687; Aug 4, 2021 at 5:05 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
So glad I avoided DFW like the plague last night/today.

Seeing videos of people being given hotels rooms IN HOUSTON at DFW by AA.

Yes, you read that correctly.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
The US needs a strong passenger bill of rights. Something like EU261, although I'd like to see it even stronger.
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."
vasantn and LovePrunes like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:06 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Hope this is over!

Took an extra-long way home tomorrow from DTW for some EQMs!!!

DTW-CLT-LAX-PHX
wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
No, the AA operational meltdown started in mid-June. AA's operation sucked before mid-June but I would offer June as when things went from bad to spiraling out of control bad.

Wrong. There has not been any severe weather (thunderstorms, hail) around DFW since late morning Monday.

It's now Thursday. DFW weather has been fine since Monday afternoon. I won't accuse AA of lying. But AA has lost control of their operation. AA is in meltdown.

Your first sentence directly contradicts your second sentence. In sentence #1 you claim you don't know and then in sentence in #2 you offer this:
Sentence #2 is just plain wrong. I have plenty of experience flying out of DFW on AA, DL, and UA. If it's just rain (plain old liquid rain, even strong liquid rain, not associated with frozen precip or convective activity), then DL and UA have no problem operating on time at DFW (provided, of course, there's no convective activity/snow/ice at their hubs).

DFW's runway configuration, ramp space, etc. is quite efficient as airports go. Both DL and UA operate just fine at DFW when DFW is routine LIFR.

Of course since you're one of those people who allow themselves to be hub captive and only fly AA, how would you even know if non-AA carriers at DFW are delayed? Should have ended your post at sentence #1 and let us free agents answer for you!
It is Wednesday.
Planes diverted and crews times out. Sometimes it takes a couple days to catch up after that. Things appear to be normal today.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by KansasMike
Weather: the airlines', particularly UA and AA, all-purpose excuse.
moght want to attribute your complaints to the airlines that are sucking wind AA and SW. not sure UA is in that same bucket.
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.