Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much is EXP really worth

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I decided to go for the EXP challenge. The requirements are 28k eqm and 4K EQD. I get executive platinum for the 90 days and I apparently don’t get elite choice rewards( what I expected). It seems like they just reduced the eqm requirement from the pre covid challenge but didn’t touch the EQD.
Shouldn't 4 SWUs be a given upon reaching EXP or completing the challenge?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ce-rewards.jsp
For our Executive Platinum members, you’ll be able to choose 2 rewards. Systemwide upgrades are now 1 of many rewards available. You can choose to maintain up to 4 systemwide upgrades as part of your benefits, or you have the flexibility to select different rewards. All the other existing Executive Platinum benefits remain the same.
So you will get the default 4SWUs but won't have a choice to replace that with the offered options (miles, EQDs, Gold gift, etc.)?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca

So you will get the default 4SWUs but won't have a choice to replace that with the offered options (miles, EQDs, Gold gift, etc.)?
I know one poster has reported receiving 4 SWUs after completing the challenge. Apart from that, I've never heard of anyone receiving SWUs without full qualification. I'm certainly not expecting any, but it would be nice to be wrong!

(For the record, I've done 2 successful EXP challenges prior to the current one and did not receive SWUs upon completion of either one. Both were early in the year, however; and I did receive the standard SWUs once I qualified in full.)
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist

it would be great if I could get SWUs however it doesn’t seem like it’s gonna happen sadly.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _fx
Some of the valuations ITT are absurd. Spending thousand of dollars for status so you get better treatment during IRROPS .. why not just fly an airline that gets you to your destination and doesn’t regularly have total operational meltdowns instead?
no airline will get you to your destination 100% of the time.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I emailed them and they told me I won’t earn any 500 miles upgrades during or after the challenge. Is there any way I can get these without paying for them. I don’t feel like paying $120 bucks every time I need to upgrade a companion.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:30 am

I emailed them and they told me I won’t earn any 500 miles upgrades during or after the challenge. Is there any way I can get these without paying for them. I don’t feel like paying $120 bucks every time I need to upgrade a companion.
no way. only way to earn them is flying as GLD or PLT.
You can always use miles + copay to upgrade your companion. 15,000+$75. I value miles at $0 (i.e. worthless) so for a coast to coast it is $200 (5 stickers) vs $75
Uzzar likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:36 am

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, there were anecdotal reports that the EXP desk could convert "stickers" to miles upon request. But I don't think they did it the other way around.
But for many years it has been reported that they don't do that anymore.
You can always call and ask?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage PPro, LT Gold
You can use miles to buy upgrades, 40,000 miles for 8 upgrades.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Is there any way I can get these without paying for them.
No.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Off the hampster wheel

Once the shift from miles to money gained traction, I gave up on pursuing status and instead the mantra became "fly less, buy first (class)." (Granted, not everyone can fly less, although the last 18 months has compelled most of us to do so anyway.) From my POV, the airlines gave up on loyalty to their customers, so loyalty to an airline is an encumbrance rather than a benefit now. And FC fares are, in some cases, insanely affordable.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Once the shift from miles to money gained traction, I gave up on pursuing status and instead the mantra became "fly less, buy first (class)." (Granted, not everyone can fly less, although the last 18 months has compelled most of us to do so anyway.) From my POV, the airlines gave up on loyalty to their customers, so loyalty to an airline is an encumbrance rather than a benefit now. And FC fares are, in some cases, insanely affordable.
I somewhat disagree that its not a benefit; even as a PLT, the elite perks have been very valuable to me as travel ramped up - priority check in/bags/security, easier to get someone on the phone when something does go wrong, they're way more accommodating to my requests during IRROPS (albeit I do come armed with a number of options for them versus having them do that leg work), I've been booked on a DL flight I suggested after my AA one was cancelled last minute. For sure the hard product is currently not worth the leg work, but overall I'm happy enough with AA (the F&B nonsense aside) and will be spending the 15k to keep it next year (when hopefully trips back to Europe will be on the menu and the flagship lounges are open!).

I don't think I'd enjoy flying as a free agent now, even buying F (hello DL!). Status means you avoid a lot of the clusters that are everywhere if you're traveling these days.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
A long time ago in a galaxy far away, there were anecdotal reports that the EXP desk could convert "stickers" to miles upon request. But I don't think they did it the other way around.
But for many years it has been reported that they don't do that anymore.
You can always call and ask?
"Stickers" could be converted into RDM for EXPs, yes. This was officially possible until AA stopped doing it in 2014. I`ve been sitting on about 50 of those things ever since.
They have to be earned or paid for, it is not and has never been possible to acquire them any other way
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
About tree fiddy
What is there a sale on some loch ness munchies or something?
lhrhappy likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I know I asked the question earlier what is EXP worth compared to just having 75K_OWE on AS, and besides the upgrades, exp desk and priority waitlist/standby there is one small one lol. Flagship first check in if you're flying intl. Not offered even if flying J as AS75k but offered flying Y as AA EXP. haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.