Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Pilots and Flight Attendants Unions Say They Canít Find Hotel Rooms

American Airlines Pilots and Flight Attendants Unions Say They Canít Find Hotel Rooms

Old Jul 28, 21, 8:51 pm
  #1  
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,915
American Airlines Pilots and Flight Attendants Unions Say They Canít Find Hotel Rooms

I thought this was quite interesting and a real tale of the current state of affairs for travel in 2021...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...ms-11627511797

Essentially the article comments on the fact that hotels are full, and American can't seem to book hotels for their crews. Absolutely crazy!

Last edited by ryandc99; Jul 29, 21 at 7:36 pm
ryandc99 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 21, 8:56 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Tempted to lay this at the feet of the hotels and their lack of proper management and oversight.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 21, 10:02 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,992
I know the title is pretty telling, but can you post a summary of the article, since we don't all have subscriptions?
Redhead and writerguyfl like this.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 12:06 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 21,417
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I know the title is pretty telling, but can you post a summary of the article, since we don't all have subscriptions?
The beginning of the article pretty much sums it up and is visible without a subscription. Apparently somebody at WSJ knows something about journalism.
Brief description in the headline, general info in the beginning of the article, and more descriptive further into the article
futuramadramallama likes this.
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 12:07 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 21,417
Originally Posted by cmd320
Tempted to lay this at the feet of the hotels and their lack of proper management and oversight.
Why is it the fault of the hotel management that more people are traveling?
And, airlines pay them less than most other customers.
LINDEGR likes this.
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 5:52 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Posts: 5,401
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why is it the fault of the hotel management that more people are traveling?
And, airlines pay them less than most other customers.
Think it's quite well known many hotels are direly understaffed now and can't get any applicants. Saw recently some in Vegas are paying $20 an hour for housekeeping staff and still struggling to hire. It would appear that hotel management was slow to respond to the increased demand.
DC9 likes this.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 6:51 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,913
I suspect that hotels need to start to use technology more. If I can check in for a flight rarely ever needing a human being than why can't I check in and out of a hotel online. Even some of the cleaning like floors can be used without human beings.

Hotels appear packed and I'm assuming it's difficult if crew unexpectedly gets displaced due to weather and mechanical delays.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 7:53 am
  #8  
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,915
Delete

Last edited by ryandc99; Jul 29, 21 at 7:35 pm
ryandc99 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 7:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I suspect that hotels need to start to use technology more. If I can check in for a flight rarely ever needing a human being than why can't I check in and out of a hotel online. Even some of the cleaning like floors can be used without human beings.

Hotels appear packed and I'm assuming it's difficult if crew unexpectedly gets displaced due to weather and mechanical delays.
I suspect that's more of a security issue. You can't get on the actual plane without speaking to a person (TSA). Hotels need a chance to turn away guests who compromise safety, meaning they need to meet you face to face.
futuramadramallama likes this.
ORDflyer92 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 8:02 am
  #10  
formerly 1984SW
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,043
Originally Posted by mvoight
The beginning of the article pretty much sums it up and is visible without a subscription. Apparently somebody at WSJ knows something about journalism.
Brief description in the headline, general info in the beginning of the article, and more descriptive further into the article
Here's a free page talking about the pilots not getting rooms: https://viewfromthewing.com/after-am...nfirmed-rooms/

(I read one about the F/As, too, but can't find it right now.)
IAHtraveler likes this.
wpcoe is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 8:16 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: In the Land Beyond OHare
Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
I suspect that's more of a security issue. You can't get on the actual plane without speaking to a person (TSA). Hotels need a chance to turn away guests who compromise safety, meaning they need to meet you face to face.
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I suspect that hotels need to start to use technology more. If I can check in for a flight rarely ever needing a human being than why can't I check in and out of a hotel online. Even some of the cleaning like floors can be used without human beings.

Hotels appear packed and I'm assuming it's difficult if crew unexpectedly gets displaced due to weather and mechanical delays.
They are. ​​​​​​​On a recent drive from Chicago to Naples, we stayed at several hotels, Marriott and Hilton brands, along the way and most had online checkin-checkout as well as electronic keys. We never interacted with any employees at these and had no issues with any of the rooms either.
bobnchi is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 8:51 am
  #12  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,992
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Here is the body of the article. Not sure if we are allowed to post so please let me know if not.if
Originally Posted by mvoight
The beginning of the article pretty much sums it up and is visible without a subscription. Apparently somebody at WSJ knows something about journalism.
Brief description in the headline, general info in the beginning of the article, and more descriptive further into the article
Per FT rules, links should not be posted without a recap in the body so that the post is meaningful without going to the link.
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#externallinks
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules#copyrighted
cheltzel likes this.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 9:01 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,591
I don't find it surprising that an airline that had to cancel flights because it didn't plan ahead for enough pilots also isn't organized enough to find enough hotel rooms. Sure, it's more difficult right now but other airlines seem to be managing OK.
Catbert10 is online now  
Old Jul 29, 21, 9:27 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 21,417
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I suspect that hotels need to start to use technology more. If I can check in for a flight rarely ever needing a human being than why can't I check in and out of a hotel online. Even some of the cleaning like floors can be used without human beings.

Hotels appear packed and I'm assuming it's difficult if crew unexpectedly gets displaced due to weather and mechanical delays.
You can do this with the Hilton app and get a digital key, except I have a booking at The Sound (Tapestry Collection) in Seattle and was told by the hotel they cannot give me a digital key until arrival, as they need to check my ID and Credit Card
??? Oh, wait, that's a topic for the Hilton forum.......... Kind of defeats the purpose of online check-in benefit if you have to wait in line at the desk. But yes, more hotels should have online check-in.
I agree with the floor thing. At home, my robot does nearly all of the floor vacuuming and mopping. Right now, since this is the peak of summer in the DFW area, I am thinking about getting a robot mower.
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 29, 21, 12:14 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 21,417
Originally Posted by bobnchi
They are. On a recent drive from Chicago to Naples, we stayed at several hotels, Marriott and Hilton brands, along the way and most had online checkin-checkout as well as electronic keys. We never interacted with any employees at these and had no issues with any of the rooms either.
Exactly, never an issue getting an electronic key in advance from Hilton brand hotels which used them. Apparently The Sound Hotel in Seattle has the Hilton digital key feature, but is the only one I have experienced where you have to go to the front desk to have it activated.
mvoight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.