An alternative to BOS-LGA shuttle?!

Old Jul 25, 2021, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

An alternative to BOS-LGA shuttle?!

Tailwind Airlines (never heard of them) is starting up seaplane service on the Boston-NY route (specifically, to the NY Skyport, East River at 23rd Street). Fares are on the high side, and I wouldn't want to ride a seaplane in a storm, but there's the convenience of landing/departing in downtown Manhattan, a short ride from either the midtown financial district or from the Wall Street area. Note that service is currently only seasonal, not in the winter. The flying time (75 minutes) is slightly longer than the wheels-up to wheels-down time of the AA shuttle, but the wait time at either end is shorter, as is avoiding having to travel between downtown and LGA.

Cape Air also planned on starting this in early 2020, but the covid cut that short.

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/07/...new-york-city/
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301338838.html
https://thepointsguy.com/news/boston...lane-tailwind/

The # of passengers will be a rounding error compared to the # of passengers on the BOS-LGA shuttle. Maybe this will instead compete with the private air?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I mean, I think the best alternative is kinda obvious, Acela. I get flying BOS-NY if youre connecting on to another flight, otherwise Id have a hard time choosing to fly on one of the miserable airlines serving that route over just taking the train. I know its not the Shinkansen or anything, but its certainly better than domestic F and many times better than Y.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by cmd320
I mean, I think the best alternative is kinda obvious, Acela. I get flying BOS-NY if youre connecting on to another flight, otherwise Id have a hard time choosing to fly on one of the miserable airlines serving that route over just taking the train. I know its not the Shinkansen or anything, but its certainly better than domestic F and many times better than Y.
I made this decision a while ago and am mostly happy with it. Although quite a number of my co-workers choose to fly on this same route. Ease of access to the airport vs. the train station is undoubtedly a factor. For me, it's 15 minutes garage to garage, so it is almost always a no-brainer. The seaplane option is certainly interesting for people who are in the vicinity of either endpoint.
cmd320 and Spiff like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think Acela is as competitive on NY-BOS as it is on NY-DC. It's 3h45m by train, and even the weekday schedule is still rather light, last train back from BOS is 4:15pm. Obviously flight schedules esp from LGA are also a bit light, but there are still 6pm departures, and then later if you want to go to JFK. Maybe during thunderstorm season (summer afternoons) I'd consider prioritizing Acela, but otherwise I prefer to fly.
AndyPatterson and JPG3392 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't think Acela is as competitive on NY-BOS as it is on NY-DC. It's 3h45m by train, and even the weekday schedule is still rather light, last train back from BOS is 4:15pm. Obviously flight schedules esp from LGA are also a bit light, but there are still 6pm departures, and then later if you want to go to JFK. Maybe during thunderstorm season (summer afternoons) I'd consider prioritizing Acela, but otherwise I prefer to fly.
Same here, especially because I don't find the Acela First seats to be that comfortable but I admit that I'm more open to doing it during certain times of the year now that Amtrak brought Coke products back
renila likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Regular Amtrak is much better value yet still has the comfort - seats are very much underrated on regular Amtrak trains.

Infrastructure sucks anyway, so you aren't saving much time with Acela. Take the savings and buy some nice food to eat on the train and still have leftover in savings.

All that said, I would still take flying. I live minutes away from LGA, and I usually get to the airport coinciding with the start of boarding time.
Daze likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Chinatown Bus!!! Tons of bus choices for about $25 each way or less. Make some new friends. Practice some new words in Fuzhounese. Learn how these busses can defy the laws of physics and travel between NYC and Boston in less than 4 hours.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by nydave11
Chinatown Bus!!! Tons of bus choices for about $25 each way or less. Make some new friends. Practice some new words in Fuzhounese. Learn how these busses can defy the laws of physics and travel between NYC and Boston in less than 4 hours.
Buses are usually pretty packed, not sure that would be a good idea with Covid on the rise again
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I spent a week in the Maldives recently, where after flying LAX-DOH-MLE on QR in J I had to take a 30-minute seaplane ride to my resort. It was positively miserable. Unless they find a way to make those planes more comfortable, Ill stick to AA and the train.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by nydave11

Err no... I am traumatized after Fung Wa... no more bus to NYC.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Buses are the worst and most disgusting means of transportation ever conceived. If the options are walk or take a bus, I walk every time.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Maybe someday (not holding my breath) the US will get its act together and invest in some decent infrastructure... it's pretty pathetic.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Buses are usually pretty packed, not sure that would be a good idea with Covid on the rise again
Covid is the least of worries on those buses...lol
fly747first likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Why would a bus be any different with COVID? You'd still be jammed into a bus. I did Bolt Bus and MegaBus back when I lived in NYC. Cheap but often running late. Oh, that would also describe AA.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I did the commute for the (now) Mrs for a while, and usually flew. My preference was the train by far - no security theater, arrival easier, NY Penn more convenient than LGA. However, flying was usually cheaper, and AA status more useful to me than Amtrak status so building miles and segments was valuable. I did despise LGA; we'll see if LGA to midtown is better once the construction is done - that was deadly. With the 'vid, I've been driving lately.

A youtuber did a head to head comparison recently - flying was slightly faster overall, but not much. Of course, if you want to work while traveling, flying is less efficient as you don't have nearly as much time to sit and work on the laptop, so the increased travel time on the train may be offset by the ability to work from when you sit down to when you arrive. You'd think that the slight increase in journey length would be offset by the reliability of trains over flights given congestion, weather, etc. However, train was delayed often enough that it wasn't that much an advantage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.