Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Platinum Pro status after attaining Platinum by Elite Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA PP

I am currently AAdvantage Gold with 851 EQD and 26841EQM and 24EQS to go until Elite Platinum.
I fly every week for work with 2 segments sub 500 miles always getting 500 EQM's. I have a trip to NYC for a family gathering and a work trip to LAX later in the year. I didn't start traveling like this for work until end of May/June this year.
With currently earning rates I would reach Platinum on my own by the end of the year.

Per customer service I could do a Platinum Challenge with goals of:
Meet the following requirements in a 3 month time frame after paying the applicable fee:
  • 12,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $1,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
OR
  • 14 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $1,500 EQDs

My question is, for anyone that has achieved Platinum status by an elite challenge, is the progress to Platinum Pro shortcut after attaining Platinum or would I still have to meet the hard metrics of 7000 end 60,000eqm or 70 eqs?
onetouchpass likes this.

Last edited by MountieHoosier; Jul 20, 2021 at 7:48 am Reason: Grammar corrections and info added
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MountieHoosier
I am currently AAdvantage Gold with 851 EQD and 26841EQM and 24EQS to go until Elite Platinum.
I fly every week for work with 2 segments sub 500 miles always getting 500 EQM's. I have a trip to NYC for a family gathering and a work trip to LAX later in the year. I didn't start traveling like this for work until end of May/June this year.
With currently earning rates I would reach Platinum on my own by the end of the year.

Per customer service I could do a Platinum Challenge with goals of:
Meet the following requirements in a 3 month time frame after paying the applicable fee:
  • 12,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) + $1,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs)
OR
  • 14 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) + $1,500 EQDs

My question is, for anyone that has achieved Platinum status by an elite challenge, is the progress to Platinum Pro shortcut after attaining Platinum or would I still have to meet the hard metrics of 7000 end 60,000eqm or 70 eqs?
No, you would still have to achieve the full 60k EQM / 70 EQS / $7k EQD by the year's end in order to achieve PLT Pro.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
You still have the same requirements for PPro as you would had you not done the challenge.
MountieHoosier and vasantn like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, you would still have to achieve the full 60k EQM / 70 EQS / $7k EQD by the year's end in order to achieve PLT Pro.
thank you, the challenge won’t be worth if for me then
Old Jul 20, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
It's easier if you get your challenge earlier in the year. I was offered a Platinum challenge in January 2020. I hit the challenge target by 3/1/2020. Then the world shut down. I was able to do some flying in 4Q20 that got me to the (then-lowered) Platinum Pro target and carry that activity to 2021 qualification. I should requalify for Plat Pro next month and may hit EXP later this year. If they go back to normal targets and I do my normal flying, I will probably be Platinum/Plat Pro range qualifying in 2022.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
You've already got the answer to your main question. But by doing the challenge, (1) you get the status immediately and (2) you retain the status all through 2022 because you would be starting the challenge in the second half of the year, even if for some reason you didn't make PLT the "regular" way. And it costs you only $120. It would be a no-brainer for me.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
You've already got the answer to your main question. But by doing the challenge, (1) you get the status immediately and (2) you retain the status all through 2022 because you would be starting the challenge in the second half of the year, even if for some reason you didn't make PLT the "regular" way. And it costs you only $120. It would be a no-brainer for me.
Right, consider that getting Platinum status immediately would give you access to MCE seats at booking rather than within 24 hours. Do you consistently get your choice of MCE seat now? If not then I could see the challenge cost being worth it for that alone.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

They only offered me a challenge price of $440 which includes Platinum status during the challenge. If it were only $180 including staying at my current Gold status I would've done it. If it would've shortcut me to PP then I would've definitely done it.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They only offered me a challenge price of $440 which includes Platinum status during the challenge. If it were only $180 including staying at my current Gold status I would've done it. If it would've shortcut me to PP then I would've definitely done it.
My bad. I have no idea where I got the $120 number from. (I would do it even for $440 BTW.)
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Wow, I think when I did it (maybe 2015?) it was something like $200. Agree that $440 is tough to justify if you're already Gold and you'll likely make Plat anyway.
MountieHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:27 pm

I have what may be a silly question, but on a challenge that includes status during the challenge does one earn EQM's based on that status as well as class purchased, or do certain benefits not activate until the status is actually earned?

I'm looking at a flight in a couple weeks that would hit 12.4k EQM's alone (no status, biz class), and am considering a challenge to regain status lost during last year's hiatus. I'm planning a somewhat convoluted route to break 12k, but have more options if the EQM earn was based on Plat status. Hope that makes sense.

(I need to figure out a way to use the word status in this post one more time....)
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by sddjd
I have what may be a silly question, but on a challenge that includes status during the challenge does one earn EQM's based on that status as well as class purchased, or do certain benefits not activate until the status is actually earned?

I'm looking at a flight in a couple weeks that would hit 12.4k EQM's alone (no status, biz class), and am considering a challenge to regain status lost during last year's hiatus. I'm planning a somewhat convoluted route to break 12k, but have more options if the EQM earn was based on Plat status. Hope that makes sense.

(I need to figure out a way to use the word status in this post one more time....)
EQMs don't change based on status, what you see is what you get
sddjd likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
EQMs don't change based on status, what you see is what you get
Actually there is a promo running currently that awards bonus EQMs based on status, but the extra EQMs don't count toward a challenge.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:04 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vasantn
Actually there is a promo running currently that awards bonus EQMs based on status, but the extra EQMs don't count toward a challenge.
Those worked towards the counter for the Hyatt Plat Pro challenge, but the OP shouldn’t rely on it,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.