Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I have never been able to see any additional offers after I have flown one leg of the journey or accepted an offer.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Got it. Thanks. Good to know. Those are both good offers I'd have jumped at too! I think my case may be slightly different. I have a 4 leg trip. I had upgrade offers for all 4 legs. Initially all 4 were silly. Then 3 were silly while 1 was tempting and I took it. Then the other 3 instantly disappeared. That was a month ago and I've looked, probably once a day. Never seen anything offered, even where F cabin is close to empty. So I suspect I won't get another offer. Bottom line, offers can appear and disappear like in your case, but once you've accepted an offer on one leg of a trip, you don't seem to get another chance on that same trip. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for an offer at check in.
I have some offers like that for a couple of multi-leg trips in September and November. I recently rebooked to add a third traveler and the offer disappeared for one of them. I’m hoping it returns, too.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:10 pm

QQ. For these in-app upgrade offers to J or F, under benefits, there are no mentions of lounge access. Only says larger seat, priority check in, free checked baggages. I should get to use the lounge right?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sof_lance
QQ. For these in-app upgrade offers to J or F, under benefits, there are no mentions of lounge access. Only says larger seat, priority check in, free checked baggages. I should get to use the lounge right?
As long as you have a BP for a J seat for an International flight that allows lounge access you should have access.
MaxFlyer, Zacnlinc and sof_lance like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
No upgrade offer if SWU for one way?

I am flying JFK-DEL-JFK next week.

I have requested an upgrade using SWU for the return leg. I was hoping to snag an upgrade offer for outbound but i do not see any offer although there are over 12 seats still showing as available.

I have only 3 SWU (one short) and hence cannot request SWU for outbound.

So question for those in the know. Does AA not offer in App upgrades if I have an SWU for one segment?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
AA3 JFK-LAX from DF to FF $359, one month until the flight. Not interested, because FF is nothing special. Have flown before and will collect miles to BAEC program.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:50 am

Flying PE from LAX-LHR-FRA RT. Was offered to upgrade to J anywhere from $900 to $4600 for just LAX-LHR (in or out).
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Immediately after booking SFO (Y) - JFK (F), (A321T) I was offer upgrade option for ourbound leg to J or F for sub $1K. In fact the upgrade to F was less than the price for J. It was a no-brainer choice for indeed. Day 5 before departure, I guess RM wants to get the front filled with ugrades before shifting folks around.

I also noticed at booking that the price for the return was less to be in F than in J. It was a reasonable price increase from Y, so I took the offer as well. This is my 2nd time finding "deals" to just pay for the upgrades and not stress about the upgrading games. Think AA has my profile pegged! LOL
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm flying BOS-LAX next Monday and currently being offered $291 buy-up from Y to J. I am tempted although the wide-open J availability is currently convincing me to hold off and try for a complimentary upgrade instead. There is sadly no C upgrade inventory available.

I'm also being offered the chance to upgrade DCA-BOS on the same day for $152, which I won't be going near.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
I did DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO return last week. When I booked in Feb, I got in app offers on all 4 AA segments. The only sane one was $350 for J to F on JFK-SFO. I took it as I had a long layover in JFK and wanted to try FFD. All other offer disappeared. When I finally was able to check in online (that's a whole other story with lots of VeriFLY shennanigans on top of the fact that DUB-LHR was the day before the LHR-US flight) I got offered $500 for LHR-JFK. Never been on AA First so took that as well. Rather disappointing I have to say. On way home, there was no online check in possible (stil not sure why) but asked at the desk and after initially denying that such a thing was possible, I got J to F on the SFO-JFK leg for $240.

Jumping from J to F on the transcon is quite a big difference. Not sure the food or even the service is much different, but it might be worth it if you value not having to climb over a stranger or get climbed over in J. Don0t think I'd ever upgrade to F on TATL 77W unless it was just silly cheap.

I credited the points to BA and interestingly, the upgrade I made in app 6 weeks before flying gave me the tier piints for First. The upgrades at check in stayed Business. I made a mileage request to see what would happen, but won't be disappointed if they stay as is.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I got a couple offers to upgrade a JFK-AUS flight later this week. F was down to 4 seats and Y was pretty full so I was getting nervous about the complimentary upgrade. The total of the coach ticket + the upgrade fee was less than the outright F fare, but not by much. And the money spent on the upgrade earns you zero loyalty points. So I just rebooked in F to get the full LP credit. Probably paid $25-30 more than the upgrade.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (EXP/LP=355k), Marriott (PLAT-E)
AA app question

I wasn’t sure which thread this would go under and I skimmed through a few before posting

is there a specific time that the app begins to offer discounted first class seats? I have a flight to Vegas in a few weeks and I probably won’t get the bump on stats. Just curious what it would cost. If I search for the flight with first class/business class specified, it still shows 4 seats available on AA.com
Old May 19, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenk85
I wasn’t sure which thread this would go under and I skimmed through a few before posting

is there a specific time that the app begins to offer discounted first class seats? I have a flight to Vegas in a few weeks and I probably won’t get the bump on stats. Just curious what it would cost. If I search for the flight with first class/business class specified, it still shows 4 seats available on AA.com
They are not always discounted but they usually show up right away (often they are just upfares though)

Are you on a basic economy fare? You won't get the offers if you are since those can't be changed
Old May 19, 2022, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by srikp
I am flying JFK-DEL-JFK next week.

I have requested an upgrade using SWU for the return leg. I was hoping to snag an upgrade offer for outbound but i do not see any offer although there are over 12 seats still showing as available.

I have only 3 SWU (one short) and hence cannot request SWU for outbound.

So question for those in the know. Does AA not offer in App upgrades if I have an SWU for one segment?
I think AA stops showing in-app offers once you use a SWU; at least that has been my experience so far. However, you might be able to call and upgrade or try to upgrade at the counter. First step is probably to check the OW fare difference that they are selling in case it's low now.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Rare AA flyer, have flown transcon J once-- nice experience.
I got the great NYC-CGK fare for $2500 minus a Trip Credit I have that was expiring, so it was a great deal. Was able to route for 840 BA TPs (6 flights x 140 TPs)
It's JFK- SFO on a Monday at 8:29PM, then JAL flights on the international sectors, returning for a 1pm SFO-JFK the next week.
Got a $350 J to F upgrade offer each way, JFK-SFO and return.... After doing about 30 min of research, and trying to figure out if info is from pre Covid etc-- I have a few comments/questions I'd love some feedback on. Based on my preliminary thoughts, I'd like to do the upgrade on the outbound just for fun and also to try out the FF Dining. I'll have several hours in the lounge after my positioning flight. On the return there is just a blah Admirals Club in SFO so I don't think it'd be worth it any way.

1) Food and drink is identical in F and J. Yes?
2) Seating on F is single seats vs. pairs on J
3) F boarding pass would all me into the Flagship First Dining, while J would not
4) I'm OW Sapphire and would get FF lounge access anyway (or maybe I would on J transcon anyway too?)
5) I'm a BA Silver (Sapphire)-- I have read that British Airways TPs are occasionally awarded 210 TPs for the upgraded F class (even though accrual should likely be the original fare class of R so 140 TPs) . Anyone with recent experience on this?
6) Is this $350 price normal/good/bad? Does the offer change/disappear much?

THANK YOU for any recent info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.