Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jlb3
Here is something I just found out the hard way - if you pay to upgrade through the app, you do NOT get the extra PQD. I am gunning for Plat Pro and paid about $700 extra for flights for the rest of the year to meet the PQD, and now just found out after the first flight it's only the base fare you paid that counts for PQD. Maybe others knew this? AAgent said something about how AA doesn't consider the paid upgrade as a ticket but as a product they sell. So stupid.
I wish I knew. I’ve had “upgrades” end up as refares with PQD (on website and in app) but most recently on the website (not app), it didn’t refare and it’s not being counted toward PQD. It seems random?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I had an upgrade offer MIA-DCA for $161 for a few weeks. EXP comp upgrade for me and companion cleared ~T-80 hours. Return offer is $385.

Here's the main thread on these upgrade offers: AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It seems as though every time I do one of these offers I put my cc information and get back a message "you've been upgraded." And without fail the charge does not go through and I have to call AA, like I'm doing now.

How is that in the year 2021 a merchant can have such a backwards system.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
There is a $187 to upgrade to F for Sunday afternoon dfw-phx flight. That flight has long been zeroed out in F already and I'm still in a non MCE seat in the middle LOL That's all that was available when I booked this flight last week.

Odd.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I'd be interested in hearing if you get another offer for ORD-BOS now that you have confirmed BOS-ORD. I had a similar scenario recently where they were hawking TUL-XXX & XXX-TUL up-sells regularly (all on 1 ticket). I bit on XXX-TUL (via DFW, on a Monday, no shot at upgrade for a PLAT), but since upgrading that leg I have not gotten anymore offers for TUL-XXX. Curious if that's normal or if it is just coincidence.
I did not get any more offers for the ORD-BOS. So I played the upgrade lottery, listed as #1 on the upgrade list from the get-go. And stayed there while I rode my assigned coach seat. Nobody got upgraded...
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
If you pay for upgrade via app what happens to EQD / EQM earned? Does EQD include price paid for upgrade? Does EQM earn at 2x business class rate?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
If you pay for upgrade via app what happens to EQD / EQM earned? Does EQD include price paid for upgrade? Does EQM earn at 2x business class rate?

Spoiler

Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:34 pm

Awesome! This helps... for some reason I don't see these terms in app offer. Thank you.

Last edited by eltoddo22; Oct 22, 2021 at 3:34 pm Reason: booboo
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:50 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jlb3

Spoiler

Awesome! This helps... for some reason I don't see these terms in app offer. Thank you.
I believe the wording in these terms are referring AA miles and NOT elite earning.
I have done several of these in-app upgrade offers and every time it books me into J which earns 3xEQM. There have been reported instances where this does not happen, but i personally have always been booked into J.

However, i I have never gotten any EQD credit for the cost of the upgrade.
The app offer does not have clear terms at all...
eltoddo22 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:13 pm

Triple EQM would be amazing... I have an in app offer for $150 upgrade to first class HNL-PHX-LAX.That'd be an extra 7000 EQM if it really books into J!
Cecilia Ajmani likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
For whatever its worth, the one trip where I did a paid upgrade this summer (CHS-EYW), I got triple EQM.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:16 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Triple EQM would be amazing... I have an in app offer for $150 upgrade to first class HNL-PHX-LAX.That'd be an extra 7000 EQM if it really books into J!
I would say $150 is worth it even if you don’t get the 3x EQMs. I think AA flies a Neo HNL-PHX. it’s not lie-flat, but for a flight that long, 150 for J I think is a great deal.

EQMs would be a nice touch too.
haroon145 and Uzzar like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:28 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
When I took advantage of the app offer, it booked me into I class so only 2x EQM.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
why is it that every time i'm offered one of these it never works and i always get the error "Something has gone wrong" when i see the hold placed on my amex and then failure of the website to actually process. is there some trick to it actually working, ever?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:56 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
When I took advantage of the app offer, it booked me into I class so only 2x EQM.
That's a bummer! I guess on the bright side, after March this won't matter at all since these upgrade offers won't provide LPs anyway.

Originally Posted by VSLover
why is it that every time i'm offered one of these it never works and i always get the error "Something has gone wrong" when i see the hold placed on my amex and then failure of the website to actually process. is there some trick to it actually working, ever?
I've never run into this issue despite buying a bunch of upgrades, so don't know of any tricks. Have you tried a different credit card by chance?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.