Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I can concur that the below $205 upgrade offers are back.

My SAN-DFW flight for Friday 6/23 offer went from $205 down to $146. I didn't buy it on 205, but needless to say I just purchased the upgrade for $146.

There are still some head scratchers. I have a flight in early August from DCA to MSY. I paid $167 total for main cabin. The upgrade offer on the app was at 409, and it went down to 333 today. Out of curiosity, I looked to see what the fair for paid first class would be. It was $273. So it was only $105 more to just rebook the flight as paid F. Needless to say, I did not take the upgrade offer on the app. I just rebooked the ticket in paid F for only a $105 additional fare collection.
Geordie405 and madmanshoney like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
That allows for points as well. I don't think you get LP when you take the upgrade offer on the app (unless that has changed).
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
The pricing on these upgrades makes little sense to me. Purchased my first ever in-app upgrade:

HND-DFW: from Main Cabin to Business on a 788: $350.

Meanwhile: the app wants $205 for a DEN-ORD upgrade to domestic first. No thanks.

The value to stage length ratio makes no sense.

at $350, I'll just hold on my SWUs for a future flight. Oh, and I suppose I could have also chosen to waitlist the HND-DFW upgrade for $350+25K miles. LOL..
Well, booked on another HND-DFW, and this time the pricing is more along the lines of expected (or worse):

Y-->W: $1998
Y-->J: $4075

That's a nope.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Here's a fun example from a recent experience...

I booked a DFW-LHR R/T for mid-June about 2 months out. Prices to fly it nonstop in J were around $7600... which is the higher end of my corporate allowable booking range. I bought DFW-LHR in J and LHR-DFW in PE, so it was around $5800.

Immediately in the app, the offer to upgrade from PE to J for LHR-DFW was $1800. Made sense, since the RT was $7600.

After watching the upgrade offers in the app for a few weeks, the price to do LHR-DFW in J went down to $900. So I bit and bought it.

Had to change my plans this morning to depart 2 days earlier, so I changed my originally-booked J ticket. It was a $900 fare difference to change. Did it.

Went into the app and was looking at the price to change my return and noticed I could get a $1500 credit for keeping my LHR-DFW biz ticket booking. Weird. So I did it.

Because the original in-app upgrade put me in a "J" fare code, I was able to get a credit for $1500 because I re-booked immediately in the app into "I".

So what should have been a total of $7600 in ticket costs after my changes, upgrade, etc. was only $6100 in total ticket costs. 😁
36902BRF, thunderdeacon and Silja like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
[QUOTE=econometrics;35298875[I booked a DFW-LHR R/T for mid-June about 2 months out. Prices to fly it nonstop in J were around $7600... which is the higher end of my corporate allowable booking range. I bought DFW-LHR in J and LHR-DFW in PE, so it was around $5800.[/QUOTE]

As a side note - I do NOT book PE anymore and wait to see the Main Cabin to Business price if I'm not actually paying for Biz at ticketing (if I'm under 5K return Business at ticketing is acceptable, any more and it's not). If I can get PE close to Main cabin (for me from LAX-LHR it's pretty close when NOT peak summer). I find the Main Cabin to Biz upsell in the app when NOT peak summer is $1000-1500 which in general return still has me under the $5K RT as my Main Cabin ticket is rarely ever more than 2K return. Moral here: Don't book PE at a huge markup unless you truly think Biz offers won't show up due to limited open Biz seats.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Hi everyone!
I recently booked a SGN - DOH - JFK itinerary in business class on AA stock for around $2,000 USD; with SGN - DOH sector operated by QR and DOH - JFK operated by AA. Although I could also cancel within 24 hours and choose to have the DOH - JFK flight changed to QR operated, I received the offer to upgrade from DOH - JFK to F for $1,200.
My mind is thinking, I would definitely have a better experience on the second segment in QR J but want to try long-haul AA F for the novelty. How reasonable is the $1,200 upgrade cost, in your opinions? Otherwise, I will choose a QR operated flight for the DOH - JFK sector. Thanks!

Last edited by OWF_NYC_SIN; Jun 2, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Old Jun 3, 2023, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Upgrade offer after already being upgraded

I just got another email offering to sell me an upgrade. But, AA, you had already upgraded me (through a free upgrade).At least the typical $205 upgrade (more than the original ticket price) now seems to be below $100.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OWF_NYC_SIN
Hi everyone!
I recently booked a SGN - DOH - JFK itinerary in business class on AA stock for around $2,000 USD; with SGN - DOH sector operated by QR and DOH - JFK operated by AA. Although I could also cancel within 24 hours and choose to have the DOH - JFK flight changed to QR operated, I received the offer to upgrade from DOH - JFK to F for $1,200.
My mind is thinking, I would definitely have a better experience on the second segment in QR J but want to try long-haul AA F for the novelty. How reasonable is the $1,200 upgrade cost, in your opinions? Otherwise, I will choose a QR operated flight for the DOH - JFK sector. Thanks!
Definitely not worth $1,200. Maybe $250 to go from J to F but not $1,200. It's a slightly better seat + the same meal as J but with a bowl of soup. The AA J seats are a solid hard product IMHO, so to me that's like paying $1,200 for a bowl of soup.
OWF_NYC_SIN likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:26 am

Got offered $135 on CLT-SJU for Y to J. Took it as that's a long flight in Y for me.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Upgrade offer to full F cabin?

I'm being offered a reasonably priced upgrade on an upcoming flight, that I'd normally strongly consider. However, when I begin the process to purchase the upgrade, the F seat map (A319) shows as completely full. Does AA normally oversell F via in app upgrades, or is this more likely a blocked seat? FWIW, the same flight also still shows one seat for sell in F. My concern is F being overbooked and losing my original MCE seat if I purchase the upgrade. Any previous similar data points would be much appreciated!

Last edited by msr0013; Jun 7, 2023 at 7:02 pm
Old Jun 8, 2023, 8:03 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
PHL-MCO for me on a trip next week is coming up at $140 now. It was $480 when booked a few months back. Interestingly the upgradeable inventory for points/SWUs is coming up at C7.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Are there limits on number of passengers/ages for offers?

Booked my niece and husband plus their 3 year old and lap infant CLT-PBI. No offer yet., Flight is J7 and is next week. None of them have status.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I agree the lower priced offers have come back. Booked LAX-CLT-CLE (was able to clear LAX-CLT with a BXP1 at booking, shockingly) and got offered CLT-CLE for $65, which was the cheapest I've seen in quite a while outside of DCA-LGA.

I would've gone for except my son (who is on a separate record having applied a BXP1 to him as well) isn't getting the offer.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DCAKen
On a JFK-DOH flight next month, I was offered $175 to PE or $580 to Business. I accepted that Business upgrade immediately. I turned down the $190 upgrade offer on the DCA-JFK leg.
This good deal got even better. At the gate, the scanner squawked and I got upgraded to first.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I can concur that the below $205 upgrade offers are back.
Yep. I was offered $97 for PHX-SFO and SFO-PHX this week.

The offer only appeared right after booking, and never reappeared. These are booked under my AS number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.