Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Accepted buy up for phl-las 6 weeks out on a Thursday dinner flight. Buy up offer was $246. My confirmation email showed J as the booking class.

Had same offer for return Las-Phl on a Monday red eye. But then I checked EF and there was C inventory so I used 15k + $75. Confirmation email for that booking reflects C.

At time of booking several weeks ago, I paid RT fare of $417 and F was quoted at $1800 round trip.
airb330 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I'm watching JNB to ORD in April. It has changed by small amounts (down) nearly every day. I've wondered if it has something to do with the strength of the dollar. A safari that was going to cost about $12K last year might now come in under $10K. That said, I know nothing about how current fluctuations affect ticket prices so I could be way off.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Accepted buy up for phl-las 6 weeks out on a Thursday dinner flight. Buy up offer was $246. My confirmation email showed J as the booking class.

Had same offer for return Las-Phl on a Monday red eye. But then I checked EF and there was C inventory so I used 15k + $75. Confirmation email for that booking reflects C.

At time of booking several weeks ago, I paid RT fare of $417 and F was quoted at $1800 round trip.
Nice savings. Should make the start of your vacation enjoyable flying in F.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
I'm at T-48 I've had one sitting around for a couple of weeks at $97. The cost to upfare is ~$300.

Flight is 770 miles, so you can miss me with $97 for the snack basket and no LPs.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jljones78
I'm at T-48 I've had one sitting around for a couple of weeks at $97. The cost to upfare is ~$300.

Flight is 770 miles, so you can miss me with $97 for the snack basket and no LPs.
That's one reason these offers are attractive to non status flyers that have a little extra to spend to get out of the hell that is coach. Unfortunately, this is the upgrade of the future. No complimentary (maybe for the exception of CKs/EXPs) but one for a price-that you won't get LPs for.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Depending on seats remaining, you should be on waitlist for upgrade and still enjoy that PDB and snack basket at least.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:58 pm

I have a flight PHL-VCE-FCO-PHL at the end of this month. I was originally booked in premium economy on both flights. I was accepted an upgrade offer to business class on the PHL-VCE leg. At that time no offer wasn't given for the FCO-PHL flight. I haven't seen an offer for that return leg yet. My friends who are traveling with us are sitting in economy have an upgrade offer for business on the return leg. isn't that strange they have been given an offer to upgrade to business class and I haven't?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jiffer21225
I have a flight PHL-VCE-FCO-PHL at the end of this month. I was originally booked in premium economy on both flights. I was accepted an upgrade offer to business class on the PHL-VCE leg. At that time no offer wasn't given for the FCO-PHL flight. I haven't seen an offer for that return leg yet. My friends who are traveling with us are sitting in economy have an upgrade offer for business on the return leg. isn't that strange they have been given an offer to upgrade to business class and I haven't?
AA on this likely sees coach is selling really well but business is not. So they can fill some of what might be empty business seats for a fee rather than a SWU and have more availability in coach seats. The OP on other hand is in PE and the demand for PE may not be as strong.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by EXP100
AA on this likely sees coach is selling really well but business is not. So they can fill some of what might be empty business seats for a fee rather than a SWU and have more availability in coach seats. The OP on other hand is in PE and the demand for PE may not be as strong.
Possibly. The upgrade offer for them is the same price for PE and business. Right now PE is around 50% full.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jiffer21225
Possibly. The upgrade offer for them is the same price for PE and business. Right now PE is around 50% full.
The reason you don’t and likely won’t see any new offers is that once you accept an offer for one leg, any other offers for other legs that you don’t take disappear. I’ve never seen or heard of any offers coming back. It’s a annoying because I’ve started with 4 insane offers on 4 legs. Eventually one comes down and I take it, plan being to do the same with other offers. But they disappear and never come back.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by RichieMc
The reason you don’t and likely won’t see any new offers is that once you accept an offer for one leg, any other offers for other legs that you don’t take disappear. I’ve never seen or heard of any offers coming back. It’s a annoying because I’ve started with 4 insane offers on 4 legs. Eventually one comes down and I take it, plan being to do the same with other offers. But they disappear and never come back.
I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
Originally Posted by EXP100
That's one reason these offers are attractive to non status flyers that have a little extra to spend to get out of the hell that is coach. Unfortunately, this is the upgrade of the future. No complimentary (maybe for the exception of CKs/EXPs) but one for a price-that you won't get LPs for.
This brings up an interesting point. I've always assumed the no LPs (fka EQDs) for TOD upgrades was because of AA's decrepit tech infrastructure and not a strategy.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:25 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Same for T-100 upgrades. Every time my first leg clears, I lose the TOD offers for any other leg on the PNR.
Is this people's experience as well?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
Same for T-100 upgrades. Every time my first leg clears, I lose the TOD offers for any other leg on the PNR.
Is this people's experience as well?
Interesting you say this. A few days ago I had a segment clear at my Plat window but the offer for the other segment remained. Then, 2 days ago, when one of my segments cleared, the other one had no offer. I’d be interested to know if this is some strategy on AAs part or just poor IT.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:53 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Interesting you say this. A few days ago I had a segment clear at my Plat window but the offer for the other segment remained. Then, 2 days ago, when one of my segments cleared, the other one had no offer. I’d be interested to know if this is some strategy on AAs part or just poor IT.
The cynic in me would believe it is the latter.....
FlyFreakquently likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.