Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Didn't receive an offer on a saaver award booking at OLCI or in the app. F left with seats open, zero people on the upgrade waitlist with Y almost full. ORD-YYC 737-8
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:18 pm

With saver awards, I have only received paid upgrade offers at checkin.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
January trip JFK-GRU in paid PE $1137 one way. Biz was $2150 at time of booking. After booking, app/web site offered $940 to upgrade to biz, so about $100 off published fare difference. I applied a mileage upgrade (waitlisted) and I still see the $940 offer in app, but not on web site. I'll hold and see where this goes.....
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Has anyone gotten the offer when traveling with more than 1 person on the PNR. Have a group a three and wondering if they push it out to all flyers or just single seats.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Has anyone gotten the offer when traveling with more than 1 person on the PNR. Have a group a three and wondering if they push it out to all flyers or just single seats.
I've gotten offers with 2 people on the PNR. No experience with more than that.
KBMIFlyer and hawkfan7314 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by jcain
I've gotten offers with 2 people on the PNR. No experience with more than that.
My group of 4 received a very reasonable Y to J upgrade offer on a JFK-SFO flight earlier this year.
jcain, ryanbriar and hawkfan7314 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GRU-JFK flight in Jan 2023 on 77W (one way). Paid $2071 for biz. First was being sold for $6321 at time of booking. After ticketing, app offering $1200 to move up. While tempted, there are 2 of us so that is $1200 to move up from a J to F lie flat seat with some more amenities, though the majority of the 9.5 hour trip will be spent sleeping. Plus we're already booked in the mini 2 row J cabin which will be cozy as it is.

Last edited by PHL; Sep 24, 2022 at 6:15 am
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Got an offer for BDL-ORD in the app for a party of 5 last year.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Had these in-app offers recently that we took:

MCO-LAX $215
ORD-SNA $269
SNA-ORD $269 (2-people)

I'm Gold and my partner is Plat. Flights were getting full in F and these offers put our all in price at $334 for the MCO-LAX segment and $439 of the ORD-SNA-ORD segments which we consider pretty decent. Pre-pandemic we usually just bought F outright, but so many of the routes we look at F is pricing out at 2x-3x pre-pandemic levels. I feel like AA is pricing F like the old, pre-FCM days where fares were insanely high hoping a few business travelers or wealthy people just pay up. They then seem to be offering the discounted F via in-app offers. Considering the ORD-SNA-ORD flights have been priced $798 to $1301 since booking 3 months ago I was happy with the offers the app provided.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Flying ONT-PHX-CMH on Monday. Upgrade offer in the app was in the $500s a week ago. 2 days ago it was sitting at $615 and now today it's showing $718. ONT-PHX is C3 and PHX-CMH is C4. Interesting that price is going up and now down.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by PHL
GRU-JFK flight in Jan 2023 on 77W (one way). Paid $2071 for biz. First was being sold for $6321 at time of booking. After ticketing, app offering $1200 to move up. While tempted, there are 2 of us so that is $1200 to move up from a J to F lie flat seat with some more amenities, though the majority of the 9.5 hour trip will be spent sleeping. Plus we're already booked in the mini 2 row J cabin which will be cozy as it is.
Makes sense to stay put. What I’ve found is similar to what you’re seeing. There’s a very specific delta between J and F on the app. I have an upcoming LAX-JFK flight. The J to F fare difference was nearly $2k, but the app offered $377). I took it because I’ll take advantage of afternoon FFD before a connection and prefer the solo seat. Pre FCM, I’d apply miles to upgrade (no SWU since I booked into non I class).

As Chicago747 noted, some of the fares are priced very high in the hopes that a few will bite, which will offset the “discounted F” offered via the app (and boost margins in general).

I have a BOS-MIA trip about a week from now. When I looked last week, generally J7 across the board and the fare difference was 450+. Looked this morning on EF before booking and nearly every flight of the day is now J0. My hunch is that there were a lot of people who took app offers.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:21 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Makes sense to stay put. What I’ve found is similar to what you’re seeing. There’s a very specific delta between J and F on the app. I have an upcoming LAX-JFK flight. The J to F fare difference was nearly $2k, but the app offered $377). I took it because I’ll take advantage of afternoon FFD before a connection and prefer the solo seat. Pre FCM, I’d apply miles to upgrade (no SWU since I booked into non I class).
Good points. Staying put as of now. The GRU-JFK trip is 3.5 months away and F already has 4 out of 8 sold (EF is F4 A4). J is still very light at the moment, so I'm pretty sure as more book into J and get similar, or better offers, those remaining 4 will sell whether it be via an in-app offer or otherwise.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by PHL
Good points. Staying put as of now. The GRU-JFK trip is 3.5 months away and F already has 4 out of 8 sold (EF is F4 A4). J is still very light at the moment, so I'm pretty sure as more book into J and get similar, or better offers, those remaining 4 will sell whether it be via an in-app offer or otherwise.
Right. Plus offering buy-up’s opens up space for selling more J seats at (potentially) higher margins.

Similar situation for a November BOS-MIA-EZE trip. I bought F as there was some pricing glitch and it was basically priced the same as J ($3,600 RT). My SO bought R class last week (the spread between J-F was over $7k!) and the app is offering $1,300 to move. I suggested she use miles (no copay needed / ideally burning her last SWU on the return) as it’s currently F7 A0. Worst case she doesn’t get FFD in Miami.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:54 pm

Any data on how frequently these prices change? Just daily? Hourly? I booked DFW-ICN yesterday, originally saw J for $1055, today it's $1275... seems that some have commented the prices do go up/down, and not just up, specifically?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Must be. My Lhr-Phl flight ranges from $1200-1500 for J and does change multiple times a day. Way too much but interesting anyways. PE ranges from 1000 to 1003 and changes many times a day 😂

The plane is basically empty except for
premium economy. I’ll live in economy if they don’t want a reasonable offer to J.

My Orlando flights change multiple
tiems a day from $149 to $900. Everything else is booked in J.

It didn’t use to be this way. 🤷🏻‍♂️
oztiks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.