Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC
I think I saw someone post someting about a similar situation but can't find it in this thread. I had an offer for a J->F upgrade for JFK-SFO in a couple of weeks. It had been sitting there since I had bought this ticket at various prices. I ended up cracking and took it yesterday. Went through the normal process, chose a seat, but then got some strange error message. Got a notification from Amex that the charge had gone through. Also weird that now I had 2 seats on the same flight showing in the reservtion, but couldn't actually see or change my seat for the F part. Called yesterday and agent assigned me a seat. But still had both bookings in my reservation. Called again today and agent put me on hold and said that the offer I took was expired and was a mistake. I just have to sit tight and hope that the offer comes back. I'm 100% sure it won't.

Anyway, wondering if someone has had similar experience. I feel like I read somewhere that someone had a similar case and a good agent had worked it out.

Last edited by RichieMc; Aug 31, 2022 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Accepted a great offer on OLCI in the app.

BOS-PHX $161 to upgrade to F (had already paid for MCE as don’t get that for free as QF OWE). For 5.5 hours I thought the price was a steal. At least compared to prices that Delta offers up
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:16 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Accepted a great offer on OLCI in the app.

BOS-PHX $161 to upgrade to F (had already paid for MCE as don’t get that for free as QF OWE). For 5.5 hours I thought the price was a steal. At least compared to prices that Delta offers up
It gets better: you can request a refund for what you paid for MCE -- see the aa.com page for Main Cabin Extra and click to expand the Terms and conditions section.
Craig6z and NZ_Flyer like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm pretty sure there are some issues if I use AS FF (100K, so put up on complimentary upgrade list).

I'm not sure about other FF, and not sure what would happen to AS elite under 75K which would not be put up on complimentary upgrade.

The AS upgrade would not reflect in the reservation for about 30 minutes or so, during that time, the offer is there (and my flights are very empty that a 3.5 hour flight to F only priced +$135), but once complimentary upgrade requested, no more offers.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
App has been offering LAX-LHR J->F for 1200$, just dropped to 600$ ~1month from the flight. Will probably not bite, don't really see the benefit (even with FFD).
Old Sep 9, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I think I saw someone post someting about a similar situation but can't find it in this thread. I had an offer for a J->F upgrade for JFK-SFO in a couple of weeks. It had been sitting there since I had bought this ticket at various prices. I ended up cracking and took it yesterday. Went through the normal process, chose a seat, but then got some strange error message. Got a notification from Amex that the charge had gone through. Also weird that now I had 2 seats on the same flight showing in the reservtion, but couldn't actually see or change my seat for the F part. Called yesterday and agent assigned me a seat. But still had both bookings in my reservation. Called again today and agent put me on hold and said that the offer I took was expired and was a mistake. I just have to sit tight and hope that the offer comes back. I'm 100% sure it won't.

Anyway, wondering if someone has had similar experience. I feel like I read somewhere that someone had a similar case and a good agent had worked it out.
I’m a bit delayed on this, but yes I had this issue in the spring. I called up and was put through to the web support desk where they fixed it / processed the upgrade. The EP agent had originally said it didn’t go through on her end so no harm no foul, but offered to connect me to them as they have the ability to fix these issues.
RichieMc likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I’m a bit delayed on this, but yes I had this issue in the spring. I called up and was put through to the web support desk where they fixed it / processed the upgrade. The EP agent had originally said it didn’t go through on her end so no harm no foul, but offered to connect me to them as they have the ability to fix these issues.
Good to know. Thanks. I initially did try and was eventually put through to web support. Got a load of nonsense about how either a.) it was under airport control (2 weeks before the flight!) or b.) I needed somehow to call BA (the first leg is on BA). Should have tried again but just lost the will. Anyway, just gave up and flight is now F0 and A0.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
JFK-LHR and back over the next week, booked in J on 773s. J to F comes up for $700 for each flight. When I try to accept the offer it bombs out, on both the app and the website. 2-3 F tickets available per EF on both flights. I will check it every few hours until departure but it is frustrating.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
JFK-LHR and back over the next week, booked in J on 773s. J to F comes up for $700 for each flight. When I try to accept the offer it bombs out, on both the app and the website. 2-3 F tickets available per EF on both flights. I will check it every few hours until departure but it is frustrating.
I’ve had similar issues from time to time. On the other hand, I’ve always been able to upgrade at checkin with no technical problems. Obviously depends on seats being available.
pauleeepaul likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Two SFO-JFK trips coming up in Oct both booked in J. First trip (10/6) is offering upgrade to F for $377/person/leg with 6F & 10J available outbound and 8F & 16J on the return. Second trip (10/27) is $753/person/leg with 9F & 3J outbound and 10F & 6J on the return. Definitely not worth it to me either way but, I have received an op up on the return leg in the past. Not nearly as valuable as an op up on the outbound would be since it would enable FF dining at JFK. Don't think I've ever heard of an op up on the east bound but I've read of (and experienced) quite a few at the gate in NY.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I’ve had similar issues from time to time. On the other hand, I’ve always been able to upgrade at checkin with no technical problems. Obviously depends on seats being available.
This time my obsessive compulsiveness paid off, after checking every 30 minutes or so I was able to clear both legs just now .
kyushuman, ryanbriar and RichieMc like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Not sure if anyone else has commented on this already, so my apologies if so. I have began to notice with my most recent bookings through AMEXTravel.com that now these flights are eligible to recieve upgrade offers. Previously the only difference between booking direct and booking through Amex, other than the discounted fare, was that the flights booked through Amex weren't eligible to recieve upgrade offers. But that has seemed to change. The lack of upgrade offers has been discussed in the various Amex forums. Wondering has anyone else started to experience the same availability regarding the upgrades recently?
Curious if anyone has confirmed this through additional data points? Just booked an AA J transcon fare through AmexTravel and wondering if I will see F upgrade offers.

Separately, do I need to have an AAdvantage # linked to the booking to receive these offers?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by Kylash
Curious if anyone has confirmed this through additional data points? Just booked an AA J transcon fare through AmexTravel and wondering if I will see F upgrade offers.

Separately, do I need to have an AAdvantage # linked to the booking to receive these offers?
Hit or miss on my end w/r/t seeing offers. I think part of it has to do with where your fare via the F8O code ends up relative to the published J fare. From time to time the Amex Travel portal will offer very competitive F prices.

For part two, I don’t believe so.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:42 am

I have a trip booked PHL-VCE-FCO-PHL. The upgrade price has been holding steady for months at $1800 each way. This morning it dropped to $600 to upgrade from my premium economy seat to business class for my flight to VCE. I jumped on it. Does upgraded seats get lounge access? Also can I bring a someone as my guest who is sitting in premium economy?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by jiffer21225
I have a trip booked PHL-VCE-FCO-PHL. The upgrade price has been holding steady for months at $1800 each way. This morning it dropped to $600 to upgrade from my premium economy seat to business class for my flight to VCE. I jumped on it. Does upgraded seats get lounge access? Also can I bring a someone as my guest who is sitting in premium economy?
Yes you will have lounge access and the OW / AC rules for guests will apply. Other than non rev employee tickets, AA doesn’t differentiate different types of business class tickets for purposes of benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.