AA1774 passenger duct taped to seat

Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:53 am
Original Poster

AA1774 passenger duct taped to seat

A woman who allegedly had a mental health episode aboard an American Airlines flight appears to have been taped down after having a public freakout in the air. TikTok user @lol.ariee posted the video. The flight was taking off from the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport and was in the air for about 2 hours. During that time a situation unfolded that caused a bit of a panic. According to the TikToker, flight attendants started frantically running up and down the aisles at around 1:30 AM. The captain got on the intercom, and told everyone to stay in their seats 'cause of the problem toward the front, which he apparently said they were handling. As the TikTok user exited the plane, she recorded paramedics who were standing by with a stretcher. As for American Airlines, a rep for the company tells us this: The crew on board American Airlines flight 1774 reported a potential security concern after a customer attempted to open the forward boarding door and physically assaulted, bit and caused injury to a flight attendant." They add, "For the safety and security of other customers and our crew, the individual was restrained until the flight landed at CLT and could be met by law
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
https://youtu.be/2aH3GaRYC2M

A woman who allegedly had a mental health episode aboard an American Airlines flight appears to have been taped down after having a public freakout in the air. TikTok user @lol.ariee posted the video. The flight was taking off from the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport and was in the air for about 2 hours. During that time a situation unfolded that caused a bit of a panic. According to the TikToker, flight attendants started frantically running up and down the aisles at around 1:30 AM. The captain got on the intercom, and told everyone to stay in their seats 'cause of the problem toward the front, which he apparently said they were handling. As the TikTok user exited the plane, she recorded paramedics who were standing by with a stretcher. As for American Airlines, a rep for the company tells us this: The crew on board American Airlines flight 1774 reported a potential security concern after a customer attempted to open the forward boarding door and physically assaulted, bit and caused injury to a flight attendant." They add, "For the safety and security of other customers and our crew, the individual was restrained until the flight landed at CLT and could be met by law
At this point there needs to be an FAA mandate that people that cause these kind of disturbances should be 1. Ban from flying 2. Face a felony charge 3. Have their wages/bank account garnished to pay for the diversion. Word would spread real quick

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 11, 2021 at 11:13 pm Reason: Profanity is not permitted on FlyerTalk
Old Jul 11, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
At this point there needs to be an FAA mandate that people that cause these kind of disturbances should be 1. Ban from flying 2. Face a felony charge 3. Have their wages/bank account garnished to pay for the diversion. Word would spread real quick
Disincentives don't really work on the severely mentally ill. They should be banned for the safety of other passengers but most people this far gone don't have savings or wages to garnish, and a felony doesn't do much when it will easily be dismissed for insanity reasons or pled down.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 11, 2021 at 11:14 pm Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I would love to know what made the AA crew feel it was necessary and appropriate to duct tape over the passengers mouth.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:16 pm

I think it was after a flight attendant was bit
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Disincentives don't really work on the severely mentally ill. They should be banned for the safety of other passengers but most people this far gone don't have savings or wages to garnish, and a felony doesn't do much when it will easily be dismissed for insanity reasons or pled down.
She was in the first class cabin, she clearly has enough disposable income pay for the seat outright or at least has a job that gives her enough to travel to have high-tier status (only ExPlat and higher are going to be getting status upgrades between DFW and CLT).
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
the pix on the left has the look of someone who just learned their plane is a MAX 8
Old Jul 11, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Agreed with 1 and 2, but disagree with 3. In the US bank accounts (aka personal property) cannot be seized without due process. This is a constitutional issue. Wage garnishment requires something akin to due process also.

I am concerned about the number of incidents lately on AA.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 11, 2021 at 11:15 pm Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She probably asked for a glass of wine in coach.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ajf87
She was in the first class cabin, she clearly has enough disposable income pay for the seat outright or at least has a job that gives her enough to travel to have high-tier status (only ExPlat and higher are going to be getting status upgrades between DFW and CLT).
I figured the FAs just moved her up because they had an empty F seat and it was easier to get her under control there. The flight was a red eye on a Saturday so it's conceivable that few elites were onboard.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Would that have actually deterred something like this scenario though? Sounds like it wasn't a rational decision of "Hmm, I'd like to get off this place, ugh are there going to be repercussions though?"

If it's a situation where someone just has a complete mental collapse to where they're biting a FA and need to be duct taped down, including over their mouth... I'm not sure any rational consideration of repercussions is going to make a difference.

Last edited by Microwave; Jul 11, 2021 at 11:16 pm Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:07 pm

Who would put a mentally ill person on a plane anyway without accompanying?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
Who would put a mentally ill person on a plane anyway without accompanying?
Family members trying to save a buck and/or get rid of a lingering problem. This reminds me of a situation several years ago where a family did this with a mentally unfiit woman ( I want to say it was a US flight out of or into PHX). There was an episode and she actually ended up dying. Then the family came out afterwards and sued because, of course, the airline should have known better and handled her more compassionately, or whatever. I also want to say they were the ones who bought her the ticket and took her to the airport.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Ahh yes....Carol Anne Gotbaum. That was a train wreck. She sued the City of Phoenix and Phoenix PD. I do not believe that US Airways was one of the defendants.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
OK, so I'm just wondering... is a roll of Duct Tape standard equipment on AA Aircraft?
Gwing21 and robertablake like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.