Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA1774 passenger duct taped to seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roadtriper
OK, so I'm just wondering... is a roll of Duct Tape standard equipment on AA Aircraft?
of course it is. I've seen it used for temporary repairs multiple times. They can fix seats, overhead bins, and just about anything else that doesn't latch or stay put. In this case a passenger I guess
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
On the news today they brought up this story, and others like it. Apparently 3500 incidents YTD and blamed mostly on the mask. They even had a piece where Kirby from UA said the mask mandate will be lifted 9/13. What I did appreciate about the piece is that they didn't mention alcohol as a factor.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ajf87
(only ExPlat and higher are going to be getting status upgrades between DFW and CLT).
I've been on a CLT-DFW flight with empty seats in F. On a weekday afternoon no less.

Originally Posted by roadtriper
OK, so I'm just wondering... is a roll of Duct Tape standard equipment on AA Aircraft?
Originally Posted by aj411
of course it is. I've seen it used for temporary repairs multiple times. They can fix seats, overhead bins...
Engines...

Of course it is standard equipment. I'd love to be the duct tape salesman who has the AA account. You should have seen the generous amount of duct tape around the cowling of one AA A319!

**Ok, pedants, yes it was technically speed tape.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Jul 12, 2021 at 8:14 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Agreed with 1 and 2, but disagree with 3. In the US bank accounts (aka personal property) cannot be seized without due process. This is a constitutional issue. Wage garnishment requires something akin to due process also.

I am concerned about the number of incidents lately on AA.
Personal property gets seized all the time in the US without due process. Take a look at the Civil Forfeiture process; assets get seized and kept even if no charges are eventually filed by the police.....
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I just want to know how the duct taped-mouth passenger was able to get her aviator credit card app.
corky, SCChris, onanisland and 2 others like this.

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 12, 2021 at 8:41 am
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
At this point there needs to be an FAA mandate that people that cause these kind of disturbances should be 1. Ban from flying 2. Face a felony charge 3. Have their wages/bank account garnished to pay for the diversion. Word would spread real quick
Not a chance. These are very different kinds of disturbances than someone throwing a hissy fit over a mask or a beverage.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I would love to know what made the AA crew feel it was necessary and appropriate to duct tape over the passenger’s mouth.
Spitting, biting, yelling. Not the first choice of items to use but if her airway was monitored there shouldn’t be any problems.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Doppy
She probably asked for a glass of wine in coach.
She probably asked for a glass of wine in First.
MIAFlyer and CLT like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Asking for more than one glass of wine per hour in F will now result in one having their mouth duct-taped shut.

Originally Posted by asnovici
She probably asked for a glass of wine in First.
MIAFlyer, asnovici, CLT and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yea, throw the book at her. But, as said, even that will have little impact on the next crazy person.

Another report indicated she was already in first class when the commotion started. Seatmate tried to calm her down.

Surprised that they did not remove her first, but glad for the other 100+ passengers they were able to get off.

As to having enough money for first class. Just because somebody pays for 1st does not always mean they can afford it. Some just spend beyond their means.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
There probably is a lot more to this storey.

She might have been in coach and only moved herself to F as the plane was in deboarding at a gate.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
She might have been in coach and only moved herself to F as the plane was in deboarding at a gate.
According to the first post, the events occurred prior to arrival while the plane was in the air.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
There probably is a lot more to this storey.

You might want to read the story. Especially the part where she was TAPED into the seat. There was no moving by her once that happened.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
I just want to know how the duct taped-mouth passenger was able to get her aviator credit card app.
They just taped it to her shirt!
enviroian and AAway like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Seriously, the crew dealt with a very dangerous situation (trying to open the door) and everybody got home safely. On an airplane, you can't call 911 and have the cops there in a few minutes. I don't doubt that FA training includes dealing with unruly pax, from the "hissy fit" over a mask or not enough booze, up to biting and trying to open the door and probably even dealing with weapons that were smuggled aboard.

AA1774 is scheduled to leave at 8:55PM and arrive at 12:39AM. Flightaware shows no serious delays in the past week, so it's hard to figure how this happened at 1:30AM. Although if it had been in flight for 2 hours at the time of the incident, it would be around 11PM Central/Midnight Eastern, and it was probably close enough to CLT to continue to CLT and not divert.

Maybe 40 years ago I was on a plane taking off from MSP and my wife (who was traveling from one mental hospital to another) freaked out and we had to go back to the gate and get off, and make our way east by land (car and train). I can't totally guess what would have happened if we were already in the air. She didn't act out, just started shrieking. She had been offered sedatives by her doctors in MN but refused to take them. A little valium would have gone a long way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.