Recommendations on Elsa and flights

Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 150
Recommendations on Elsa and flights

We’re in business flying hnl-clt-tpa supposed to be Tuesday to Wednesday- aa has yet to issue travel advisory so they won’t let me change flights to an early flight, I called and spoke to them, yet florida has issues state of emergency for where my final flight is.

with the time difference and the length of flight, by the time aa issues a travel notice on Monday I’ll be SOL - any recommendations? I don’t want to spend 60k miles (the price difference) to do a voluntary move
wesbob is offline  
Old Jul 3, 2021, 7:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BNA and FLL
Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Posts: 962
Storm will be past TPA by Wednesday morning so you likely won’t have any issues.


MSP_Monopoly is offline  
Old Jul 3, 2021, 7:08 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 150
Yeah but we fly into Charlotte Wednesday, then have to fly from Charlotte to Tampa - directly over the storm on Wednesday
wesbob is offline  
Old Jul 3, 2021, 7:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: TPA
Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,785
Originally Posted by wesbob
We’re in business flying hnl-clt-tpa supposed to be Tuesday to Wednesday- aa has yet to issue travel advisory so they won’t let me change flights to an early flight, I called and spoke to them, yet florida has issues state of emergency for where my final flight is.

with the time difference and the length of flight, by the time aa issues a travel notice on Monday I’ll be SOL - any recommendations? I don’t want to spend 60k miles (the price difference) to do a voluntary move
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Storm will be past TPA by Wednesday morning so you likely won’t have any issues.

Originally Posted by wesbob
Yeah but we fly into Charlotte Wednesday, then have to fly from Charlotte to Tampa - directly over the storm on Wednesday
By the time Elsa gets through Georgia the odds are high it'll be too weak to be much of an issue. Even if not, if you're on the 1110 - 1254 CLT-TPA flight, it should have no issue departing, and flying around the storm if necessary.
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
SpammersAreScum is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:10 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CHS
Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,579
By the time it gets to northern FL it is going to be a big thunderstorm, if that

Tueday morning in MIA should be a hoot though - I would yhink quite a bit of delays, prolly very few cancellations - no worse than mid afternoon storms in DFW and IAH
Hipplewm is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:32 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,003
The cold never bothered me anyway.
Antarius is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PWM
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 358
Feeling pretty Stoopid

There are So Many Acronyms thrown around on this site... I clicked on this thread to find out what elsa stood for Here's MY sign!
roadtriper is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:05 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Posts: 1,046
Travel Waiver issued: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
birdiedouble is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2021, 4:40 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by roadtriper
There are So Many Acronyms thrown around on this site... I clicked on this thread to find out what elsa stood for Here's MY sign!
lol I signed up for this site long ago but have been active only since Jan this year. Was wondering if there was a master thread with the definition of the acronyms but I did know what Elsa is since it will affect my hometown while I am in Europe 😁
Synapseturquoise is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:49 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 3,360
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
By the time Elsa gets through Georgia the odds are high it'll be too weak to be much of an issue. Even if not, if you're on the 1110 - 1254 CLT-TPA flight, it should have no issue departing, and flying around the storm if necessary.
That's actually false, at least according to the current forecast.



Source: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#05L

The above graph is from the 2am advisory on July 5, 2021. As you can see here and in the graphic MSP_Monopoly provided, most models indicate that Elsa will remain a tropical storm throughout the entire work week.

Here in Florida, airports close when winds hit tropical storm force (34 knots/39 mph). I imagine airports in other states almost certainly do the same.

While tropical storms aren't particularly dangerous, they will almost certainly wreak havoc on travel plans.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:23 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PWM
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 358
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
lol I signed up for this site long ago but have been active only since Jan this year. Was wondering if there was a master thread with the definition of the acronyms but I did know what Elsa is since it will affect my hometown while I am in Europe 😁
There actually is, if you click on the "Help" menu at the top of the page there is a "Glossary of all terms and Acronyms BUT they missed one TLA (three letter acronym) RT
dcmike likes this.
roadtriper is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:13 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 29,518
On the news today they said EYW will close when winds exceed 35 mph. I could only imagine what that place looks like today with everyone and their brother trying to get home.
enviroian is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:25 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by wesbob
We’re in business flying hnl-clt-tpa supposed to be Tuesday to Wednesday- aa has yet to issue travel advisory so they won’t let me change flights to an early flight, I called and spoke to them, yet florida has issues state of emergency for where my final flight is.

with the time difference and the length of flight, by the time aa issues a travel notice on Monday I’ll be SOL - any recommendations? I don’t want to spend 60k miles (the price difference) to do a voluntary move
I'd be pretty confident that you'll be on time or at most slightly delayed. It isn't a very noteworthy system and I've personally departed Florida on flights in conditions much worse than what are forecast. It will likely just be a bit of wind and rain, nothing major.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:35 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Posts: 10,130
Originally Posted by enviroian
On the news today they said EYW will close when winds exceed 35 mph. I could only imagine what that place looks like today with everyone and their brother trying to get home.
I was there yesterday, and it looked like any other day this year, packed with people.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:38 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: TPA
Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,785
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
That's actually false, at least according to the current forecast.



Source: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#05L

The above graph is from the 2am advisory on July 5, 2021. As you can see here and in the graphic MSP_Monopoly provided, most models indicate that Elsa will remain a tropical storm throughout the entire work week.

Here in Florida, airports close when winds hit tropical storm force (34 knots/39 mph). I imagine airports in other states almost certainly do the same.

While tropical storms aren't particularly dangerous, they will almost certainly wreak havoc on travel plans.
I have trouble reconciling that with their "cone" map, which shows a weakening from Storm to Depression as it crosses Georgia. Weird.

In any case, the storm is moving much more slowly than it was when I posted, so now the timing for fly-around does not work. TPA is now unlikely to be re-opened by mid-Wed.
SpammersAreScum is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.