Recommendations on Elsa and flights

Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Recommendations on Elsa and flights

We’re in business flying hnl-clt-tpa supposed to be Tuesday to Wednesday- aa has yet to issue travel advisory so they won’t let me change flights to an early flight, I called and spoke to them, yet florida has issues state of emergency for where my final flight is.

with the time difference and the length of flight, by the time aa issues a travel notice on Monday I’ll be SOL - any recommendations? I don’t want to spend 60k miles (the price difference) to do a voluntary move
Old Jul 3, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Storm will be past TPA by Wednesday morning so you likely won’t have any issues.

Old Jul 3, 2021, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Yeah but we fly into Charlotte Wednesday, then have to fly from Charlotte to Tampa - directly over the storm on Wednesday
Old Jul 3, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wesbob
We’re in business flying hnl-clt-tpa supposed to be Tuesday to Wednesday- aa has yet to issue travel advisory so they won’t let me change flights to an early flight, I called and spoke to them, yet florida has issues state of emergency for where my final flight is.

with the time difference and the length of flight, by the time aa issues a travel notice on Monday I’ll be SOL - any recommendations? I don’t want to spend 60k miles (the price difference) to do a voluntary move
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Storm will be past TPA by Wednesday morning so you likely won’t have any issues.

Yeah but we fly into Charlotte Wednesday, then have to fly from Charlotte to Tampa - directly over the storm on Wednesday
By the time Elsa gets through Georgia the odds are high it'll be too weak to be much of an issue. Even if not, if you're on the 1110 - 1254 CLT-TPA flight, it should have no issue departing, and flying around the storm if necessary.
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
By the time it gets to northern FL it is going to be a big thunderstorm, if that

Tueday morning in MIA should be a hoot though - I would yhink quite a bit of delays, prolly very few cancellations - no worse than mid afternoon storms in DFW and IAH
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The cold never bothered me anyway.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Feeling pretty Stoopid

There are So Many Acronyms thrown around on this site... I clicked on this thread to find out what elsa stood for Here's MY sign!
Old Jul 4, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Travel Waiver issued: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp
Old Jul 4, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by roadtriper
There are So Many Acronyms thrown around on this site... I clicked on this thread to find out what elsa stood for Here's MY sign!
lol I signed up for this site long ago but have been active only since Jan this year. Was wondering if there was a master thread with the definition of the acronyms but I did know what Elsa is since it will affect my hometown while I am in Europe 😁
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
By the time Elsa gets through Georgia the odds are high it'll be too weak to be much of an issue. Even if not, if you're on the 1110 - 1254 CLT-TPA flight, it should have no issue departing, and flying around the storm if necessary.
That's actually false, at least according to the current forecast.

Source: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#05L

The above graph is from the 2am advisory on July 5, 2021. As you can see here and in the graphic MSP_Monopoly provided, most models indicate that Elsa will remain a tropical storm throughout the entire work week.

Here in Florida, airports close when winds hit tropical storm force (34 knots/39 mph). I imagine airports in other states almost certainly do the same.

While tropical storms aren't particularly dangerous, they will almost certainly wreak havoc on travel plans.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
lol I signed up for this site long ago but have been active only since Jan this year. Was wondering if there was a master thread with the definition of the acronyms but I did know what Elsa is since it will affect my hometown while I am in Europe 😁
There actually is, if you click on the "Help" menu at the top of the page there is a "Glossary of all terms and Acronyms BUT they missed one TLA (three letter acronym) RT
dcmike likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
On the news today they said EYW will close when winds exceed 35 mph. I could only imagine what that place looks like today with everyone and their brother trying to get home.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

I'd be pretty confident that you'll be on time or at most slightly delayed. It isn't a very noteworthy system and I've personally departed Florida on flights in conditions much worse than what are forecast. It will likely just be a bit of wind and rain, nothing major.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
On the news today they said EYW will close when winds exceed 35 mph. I could only imagine what that place looks like today with everyone and their brother trying to get home.
I was there yesterday, and it looked like any other day this year, packed with people.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
That's actually false, at least according to the current forecast.

Source: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#05L

The above graph is from the 2am advisory on July 5, 2021. As you can see here and in the graphic MSP_Monopoly provided, most models indicate that Elsa will remain a tropical storm throughout the entire work week.

Here in Florida, airports close when winds hit tropical storm force (34 knots/39 mph). I imagine airports in other states almost certainly do the same.

While tropical storms aren't particularly dangerous, they will almost certainly wreak havoc on travel plans.
I have trouble reconciling that with their "cone" map, which shows a weakening from Storm to Depression as it crosses Georgia. Weird.

In any case, the storm is moving much more slowly than it was when I posted, so now the timing for fly-around does not work. TPA is now unlikely to be re-opened by mid-Wed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.