Why can't I check in online?

Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Why can't I check in online?

Good Morning, I am unable to check in online for a flight to the US. It says I must check in at airport with an agent, but doesn't provide a reason. Is this the new normal?

Also, does AA require paper copies of negative C-19 test, or is a digital copy sufficient?

Thanks so much in advance!

Sinead
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
From where?

I suspect the reason is they will want to ensure that you are permitted to enter the US (citizen or resident, etc if coming from Schengen, for example) and/or that you have whatever Covid tests are required.
atbPy likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Sinead2000
Is this the new normal?
Not necessarily. Even in the past, in-person check-in may be required for documentation verification (e.g. passport, visa).
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
The only time I have had to check in with an agent is when I got the dreaded SSSS ticket.
cmd320 and seawolf like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
For LHR to US flights one has never been able to do online check in. Always have to check in person for security questions and passport/document review.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
For LHR to US flights one has never been able to do online check in. Always have to check in person for security questions and passport/document review.
Perhaps on AA, but I flew LHR-US many many times, and almost always checked in online. I don't even know where the UA desks in T2 are!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by atbPy
The only time I have had to check in with an agent is when I got the dreaded SSSS ticket.
It's this. The dreaded quad S.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:35 am
Original Poster

What is Quad S????
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What is Quad S????
Extra security screening.

Although it could equally be they need to see your documentation, including Covid results.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Perhaps on AA, but I flew LHR-US many many times, and almost always checked in online. I don't even know where the UA desks in T2 are!
Completely irrelevant now with Covid. Not to mention you were flying a carrier that had already scanned your passport.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
What is Quad S????
It is for Secondary Security Screening Selection. In my case, I had to change travel plans from domestic to a Canada trip a few days before my departure. On my way back I got this great experience. They will go through absolutely everything in your carry-on and you get the pat down.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by atbPy
It is for Secondary Security Screening Selection. In my case, I had to change travel plans from domestic to a Canada trip a few days before my departure. On my way back I got this great experience. They will go through absolutely everything in your carry-on and you get the pat down.
And it truly is absolutely everything. That isnt an exaggeration. Id plan to put anything non-essential and non-valuable in your checked bag if you have one and keep your carry-on as light as practical.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The level of SSSS check depends on the airport. At CUN and NRT, it was nothing at all. At TXL, they took everything apart.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:04 am

I usually get the SSSS when flying one way legs into the US. Most of the time they only ask a few additional questions and sometimes more screening.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies. We are on a one-way ticket, so maybe that's why.

Does American Airlines require paper printouts of negative Covid-19 tests, or is the digital copy fine?

Thanks,
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks very much for your replies. We are on a one-way ticket, so maybe that's why.

Does American Airlines require paper printouts of negative Covid-19 tests, or is the digital copy fine?

Thanks,
use the VeriFLY app for your covid test. You can upload the screenshot of your test result there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.