Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New boarding groups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Yes they magically heal when it comes to deboarding. It must be that wonderful Y AA seat that suddenly gives them the gift of mobility again.
Flying closer to Heaven has that affect on some people.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:52 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 355F1
Those who carry carry-on luggage who need a bin. That is the value of boarding early. Period.
I’ll second this, even as a late boarder for FC, couple of times, overhead bin space ran out. Not fun to try to find space.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cmd320
Oh fantastic. So now F passengers can enjoy a stampede of 40 EXP clogging the boarding lane at the same time F is trying to board? Well done AA...
My initial thought exactly. However, lately I’ve noticed there is rarely anyone at all in Group 2 anyway. But when Biz travel comes back that will change.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm EXP but I also have flown F almost exclusively for the past 18 months, so it doesn't matter to me. But I notice that when they call Group 2, there are usually almost no pax coming on. Does it really matter if EXP's are in Group 1 or 2?

Anyway, unless you queue up early, you'll often have trouble getting through the mob to get to the boarding lane anyway by the time they've called Group 1, Group 2, etc. In practice I usually find myself boarding with Group 4 or 5.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CLT
I realize that my experience's are likely the exception to the norm, but I haven't noticed a lot of Pre-Boards lately. I recognize that some flights will have more Pre-Boards than others, like flights from South Florida-CLT/PHL/NYC with their infamous senior brigades (and the infamous cocoon flights...pre-board in a wheelchair, magically heal inflight, walk off upon landing).
I don't quite understand this since a wheelchair isn't required to pre-board
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
This change has made boarding a mess for domestic F flyers. Group 1 is too large - sometimes 40 or 50 people trying to board at once.

Hub - to - hub flights are an absolute mess... Not a fan of this boarding change.
dc10forlife likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
This is my humble entreaty to AA to separate First from Group 1. Board First Class, not as a group number, but as the name of the cabin. This will hopefully help keep line cutters at bay.

I would appreciate any and all efforts AA could muster to attempt to make First a more premium experience. And while I realize boarding First by name won’t solve the issue of line cutting and gate crowding (as clearly it’s an ever-vexing issue that all airlines have dealt with to some degree for decades), I think it will help. Anecdotally, very few people “swarm” the boarding lane when they call for CK. I think that has something to do with it being a named group.
ValleyEarl and Spanish like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by tismfu
This is my humble entreaty to AA to separate First from Group 1. Board First Class, not as a group number, but as the name of the cabin. This will hopefully help keep line cutters at bay.

I would appreciate any and all efforts AA could muster to attempt to make First a more premium experience. And while I realize boarding First by name won’t solve the issue of line cutting and gate crowding (as clearly it’s an ever-vexing issue that all airlines have dealt with to some degree for decades), I think it will help. Anecdotally, very few people “swarm” the boarding lane when they call for CK. I think that has something to do with it being a named group.
But if AA did that its FAs would actually have to provide PDBs and hang coats at the beginning of boarding, as opposed to the end of boarding (if at all).

It's ridiculous that AA won't learn from how other airlines do things and do things much better. On DL, your PDB is always offered and your jacket hung at the beginning of the boarding process. I haven't been in UA F since before Covid but from my recollection the UA F experience was closer to DL than to AA.

First class should board first as a standalone group. And AA FAs working F should offer PDBs and hang jackets at the beginning of the boarding process.
skylady and Spanish like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:48 am

They did it that way for many years. They would call First Class / EXP, then Business Class / Platinum, etc. That caused a different problem in that the so-called “Group 1” was about the 3rd or 4th group to board. The current system was an attempt to reduce that confusion. I guess you can’t please everybody.

I agree about PDBs and jackets. It sets a tone for the rest of the flight. The really great crews will have one FA block traffic briefly so the FA taking PDB orders can still get around the cabin even after coach starts boarding.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:01 pm
Suspended

I agree with you. US Airways used to board first class as its own group.

But gate agents won't enforce group number boarding. So people in group 1 or other higher groups just need to politely call out people who try to barge in front. Or maybe not politely. Yesterday I was boarding (first class, group 1), and standing in the boarding lane, even, as group 1 had just been called. One couple tried to dart around me. I looked at them and said, very loudly, "Uh, uh!", and they stopped. Once I was sitting on the plane, with a pre-departure drink in hand, I gladly glared at them as they walked back to coach in group 8.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
But if AA did that its FAs would actually have to provide PDBs and hang coats at the beginning of boarding, as opposed to the end of boarding (if at all).

It's ridiculous that AA won't learn from how other airlines do things and do things much better. On DL, your PDB is always offered and your jacket hung at the beginning of the boarding process. I haven't been in UA F since before Covid but from my recollection the UA F experience was closer to DL than to AA.

First class should board first as a standalone group. And AA FAs working F should offer PDBs and hang jackets at the beginning of the boarding process.
On UA, first class is part of group 1, but 1K is one of the many "preboard" groups.

So on elite-heavy flights, first class doesn't even board near the beginning of the boarding process.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
On UA, first class is part of group 1, but 1K is one of the many "preboard" groups.

So on elite-heavy flights, first class doesn't even board near the beginning of the boarding process.
Not to mention that UA also combines First Class with UA Platinums (75K) and Golds (50K), plus *G in one boarding group. Talk about a cluster.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EP
From recent experiences, group 1 pretty much means anyone 5 to 9 go ahead

People in Group 2 3 4 know how the process works
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Interesting experience at CLT involving my S/O the other day....they board Group 1 and military with ID simultaneously. Probably 1/3 of the flight was military as the flight was headed to ORF and there was a major reserve exercise going on. Lots of grumbling from the PPros and Plats..... Oh well.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ToddR_2003
Flying closer to Heaven has that affect on some people.
I don’t see the AA pre-board lines like I do at SWA, where pre-board gets you a better/closer seat.

We once paid for swa early boarding only to find out the GA knew there were, literally, 25 pre-boards. Other than middle seats, first open row was 9. Makes you happy to have donated another $40 each.

I don’t mind the miracle cures, but these wonders should not preclude ORD management from assigning sufficient staff for the wheelchair set. Takes 30-60 min to get a wheelchair at checkin, and notorious for not having any wheelchairs at arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.