Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking BA flights on AA - disappearing segments (on hold)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking BA flights on AA - disappearing segments (on hold)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond
Question Booking BA flights on AA - disappearing segments (on hold)

Hello - for the past few days I have had an issue booking August LAX-CPH round trip flights, on AA's site. These are AA flights operated by BA. I choose my flights (LAX - LHR - CPH and the reverse to go back) and the confirmation screen shows all segments. I put the flights on hold for 24 hours in all scenarios. When I get the confirmation email only the LAX - LHR segments are shown - not CPH at all. When I click on "purchase" in that email (or "view trips" on AA) I get the message "We couldn't display trip details." After trying this for a few days and having the same issues, I contacted AA support on Twitter, who said it looks like BA is changing their schedules and for me to contact AA reservations by phone.

I did find flights on different days, which shows all four segments in the confirmation email and on AA's site. I am wondering - why is AA allowing me to reserve flights which, one minute later, aren't available, (so they shouldn't be shown on AA as options??) and if it's even "safe" for me to purchase the flights which do show all segments? I did try similar flights on BA's site and all segments are shown (with large fees to reserve seats).

Anyone else experience situations like this? Any advice overall? Many thanks! 😀
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:24 am

I've been on hold for 2.5 hrs so far trying to fix a lost segment on my AA award for July 12. It's LAX-LHR (AA, which is fine), LHR-CDG (BA, which is the problem). BA has apparently axed practically its entire July schedule thanks to Bojo pushing back the UK reopening, and I suspect that behind the chaos for you and me and a lot of other folks.

TBH, if AA is not allowing you to book a BA flight, you should be grateful. Stay away from Britain, British Airways, and anything British for the next few months!
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobo411
I've been on hold for 2.5 hrs so far trying to fix a lost segment on my AA award for July 12. It's LAX-LHR (AA, which is fine), LHR-CDG (BA, which is the problem). BA has apparently axed practically its entire July schedule thanks to Bojo pushing back the UK reopening, and I suspect that behind the chaos for you and me and a lot of other folks.

TBH, if AA is not allowing you to book a BA flight, you should be grateful. Stay away from Britain, British Airways, and anything British for the next few months!
I feel your pain - please report back and let me know how you make out with your lost segment!! Sorry this is happening to you!
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Can they not book you on other oneworld carriers i.e. AY and IB using AA to fly to their gateway first?

I was just about to purchase a revenue F ticket from ZRH via LHR back to JFK (with the ZRH LHR segment code share with BA on AA #), glad I have not yet done so. If I did (which they also axing all ZRH-LHR flights in July), I wonder if they‘ll rebook me on the nonstop LX flight … ?
Old Jun 20, 2021, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by squiddz
I feel your pain - please report back and let me know how you make out with your lost segment!! Sorry this is happening to you!
OK, finally finished! It took 6.5 hrs, but I got someone and she put me on AA metal LAX-DFW-CDG. Phew!

Last edited by lobo411; Jun 20, 2021 at 1:43 pm
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
I had this problem a few months ago with AA codeshares on IB metal.
In the end, I booked the IB prime flights; nobody at AA was able to come up with a solution.

I believe the problem is with BA / IB making schedule changes that aren't being fully reflected in the AA codeshares.

Bill
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I had this problem a few months ago with AA codeshares on IB metal.
In the end, I booked the IB prime flights; nobody at AA was able to come up with a solution.

I believe the problem is with BA / IB making schedule changes that aren't being fully reflected in the AA codeshares.

Bill
That makes sense, thank you. The trip I have reserved now (must pay for today) - all four portions of the flight are shown on BA's website - but BA is charging $500 more than AA. I have to decide today if I want to take the chance.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by squiddz
That makes sense, thank you. The trip I have reserved now (must pay for today) - all four portions of the flight are shown on BA's website - but BA is charging $500 more than AA. I have to decide today if I want to take the chance.
If you can get through to AA (a big if considering the absurd wait times lately) you might find a good agent willing to get it to work by manually inserting each of the codeshare flights into a reservation.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
If you can get through to AA (a big if considering the absurd wait times lately) you might find a good agent willing to get it to work by manually inserting each of the codeshare flights into a reservation.
Yes, thank you again. I may just hold off a bit until I feel more confident in the BA schedule!
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:49 pm

I'm having the same problem with a Qatar award for January 2022. The Award has been purchased for five months. Noticed yesterday the DOH-JRO segment no says "cannot confirm flight details". Following up on Qatar's website it appears the flight has disappeared and there's no readily apparent or easily workable alternatives in F. It was only a fluke I happened to check flight details yesterday for the arrival time.

It's a problem AA doesn't proactively communicate these potential issues. How hard can it be to link a AA account change to a notification email? I realize January is fairly far out, but knowing of potential problems sooner rather than later would certainly be helpful.

Lesson Learned, in the current environment, do quick sweep-checks of my award tickets every couple days.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Lesson Learned, in the current environment, do quick sweep-checks of my award tickets every couple days.
This has also happened to me several times with my Swiss flight booked via united. I think the airlines have just given up on notifications.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LHSEN
Can they not book you on other oneworld carriers i.e. AY and IB using AA to fly to their gateway first?

I was just about to purchase a revenue F ticket from ZRH via LHR back to JFK (with the ZRH LHR segment code share with BA on AA #), glad I have not yet done so. If I did (which they also axing all ZRH-LHR flights in July), I wonder if they‘ll rebook me on the nonstop LX flight … ?
Most likely, they would have been going to rebook you on IB via Madrid and pay a downgrade compensation. If you are an AAdvantage elite, you might also have pushed a bit and got a rebooking on Swiss's ZRH-LHR leg followed by AA Flagship First but unless you are an AAdvantage elite, American would not budge to rebook you on another carrier other than the Atlantic Joint Business partners ( American, British, Finnair, Iberia - &Aer Lingus joining soon )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.