Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines cancelled over 100 flights on 6/19 due to lack of available pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines cancelled over 100 flights on 6/19 due to lack of available pilots

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

According to View from the Wing, AA didn't keep enough pilots certified to avoid canceling over 100 flights today! The most common reason is ‘flight crew unavailable’. Many other flights show cancelled due to ‘operational decision’ which appears to be giving that flight’s pilots to another aircraft (in other words, also ‘flight crew unavailable’). In contrast, as of this writing United has cancelled eight flights today and Delta has cancelled two.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:13 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
My flight on Monday was also canceled Friday, I assume for the same reason. It had been skedded as a 737. After some hijinks, I ended up driving to the airport to get it fixed, rather than wait five hours on hold.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
My flight from DFW to OKC on Saturday 6/26 was canceled, and I received an email last night indicating that I had been re-accommodated. The new flights are much later, and I need to get there earlier. I sent a message to the Twitter team asking for earlier flights and giving them the flights I wanted. Hopefully I will be able to get a seat. The rest of the flights to OKC appear to be very full. Huge waits on the phone and for the chat function on the app. Hopefully Twitter will come through for me again.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
According to View from the Wing, AA didn't keep enough pilots certified to avoid canceling over 100 flights today! The most common reason is ‘flight crew unavailable’. Many other flights show cancelled due to ‘operational decision’ which appears to be giving that flight’s pilots to another aircraft (in other words, also ‘flight crew unavailable’). In contrast, as of this writing United has cancelled eight flights today and Delta has cancelled two.
Which may partially explain all of the wide-body not full don't quite make sense for using such a big airplane on domestic flights. Not that I don't enjoy them.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Same issue for me. Received a text last night that my First class seat MIA-PHX-MRY was cancelled. They were kind enough to re-accommodate me on a double connection in economy that gets in 9 hours later. Great.

Luckily I was quick enough to be able to go in and make my own arrangements (2.5-3 hour hold time on the Platinum desk). Still a double connection and still arrive 9 hours later, but at least it's in my first class seat.

Great way to start out my first of many corporate trips that I have planned between now and the end of the year. :sigh:
Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:00 pm

My resolution was much better than yours. Hopefully you get good service on all three flights. The Twitter team was able to come through for me as always. The two new flights that I'm on both appear to be very full. Only main cabin extra seats are available for assignment, and the one-way flight from Lafayette to Oklahoma City is pricing out at over $800 now.

Originally Posted by Steam

Luckily I was quick enough to be able to go in and make my own arrangements (2.5-3 hour hold time on the Platinum desk). Still a double connection and still arrive 9 hours later, but at least it's in my first class seat.
:
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Have they tried asking for volunteers to fly the planes?
Spiff, corky, FlyerBeek and 7 others like this.

Last edited by javabytes; Jun 20, 2021 at 8:53 pm
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Have they tried asking for volunteers?
My trip is not until 6/26. It will be interesting to see if any of the remaining flights are overbooked.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, given AA copies pretty much everything Delta does, I'm surprised it took this long for this to happen.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
My trip is not until 6/26. It will be interesting to see if any of the remaining flights are overbooked.
Think that was considering volunteers to sit up front.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
Was joking, I meant asking for volunteer pilots
American Airlines employees asked to volunteer to handle summer travel surge
Spiff, wrp96 and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
"Good Morning folks! Welcome aboard American Airlines flight 1287 To Boston, I'm John from IT. and I'll be your Capitan today.... now, which one of these thingies starts this crate?"
Spiff, corky, Abidjan and 17 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:33 pm
Suspended

I've played Microsoft Flight Simulator for hours, I got this!
Spiff, hedoman, GTITAN and 20 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The early RDU-DFW 737 was cancelled this morning (thankfully for me I'm flying RDU-PHX on an A-319). I mentioned the issue to one of the RDU AC agents and she said "it's going to be like this for a while". Great.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
This one of the very few times that I'm kinda glad I fly mostly on RJs.
Exiled in Express likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.