Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Flying next week through DFW to Europe in business class. We know we have flagship lounge access but have not seen much here about the DFW lounge since it reopening. How are crowds? And since we are in business and not first we are aware we are not eligible for the dining room. What is the buffet like? Our flight is quite late and thinking about eating there and then skipping dinner on the plane (plane food is normally not to my liking). Is that a good idea?

Thanks,
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Our flight is quite late and thinking about eating there and then skipping dinner on the plane (plane food is normally not to my liking). Is that a good idea?
Whether it's a good idea is entirely subjective, really a personal decision. Why not just wait till you get to the lounge and make the call then, see of it's to your liking and enough to fill you up.

As to the buffet, if you scroll up through this thread a bit there are lots of trip reports and pics of various FL food spreads.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Whether it's a good idea is entirely subjective, really a personal decision. Why not just wait till you get to the lounge and make the call then, see of it's to your liking and enough to fill you up.

As to the buffet, if you scroll up through this thread a bit there are lots of trip reports and pics of various FL food spreads.
More curious than anything. And seem to see more First Dining than what the lowly business class gets... And very little about DFW specifically, and the vibe I get is the different lounges have different offerings.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
More curious than anything. And seem to see more First Dining than what the lowly business class gets... And very little about DFW specifically, and the vibe I get is the different lounges have different offerings.
If you scroll up to post 1267 there are pics of the DFW FL offering including that days menu.

While the specific menu items will vary between the day and the club, the general offering in terms of quality and variety is largely the same between the different locations. It's not as if one has noticeably better food than another.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Flying next week through DFW to Europe in business class. We know we have flagship lounge access but have not seen much here about the DFW lounge since it reopening. How are crowds? And since we are in business and not first we are aware we are not eligible for the dining room. What is the buffet like? Our flight is quite late and thinking about eating there and then skipping dinner on the plane (plane food is normally not to my liking). Is that a good idea?

Thanks,
I’ve been in at various times since it re-opened and it’s never been crowded. The Buffett isn’t huge, but the offerings were quite good. I remember two items I thought were really nice- Cajun rubbed turkey with honey corn bread and an asparagus and mushroom fricassee. They have a hot side and a cold side. The standard booze options. As I said, there was plenty of room and over all it’s a very comfortable lounge. You know FFD is still closed or it was as of last Saturday. Since the re opening, I’ve become a fan of the FL. I find each one has a bit of a regional offering. JFK is still my favorite, love the deli danish plate at the Buffett. But over all I believe that the DFW FL won’t disappoint.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:58 am
NPZ

Programs: One World
Originally Posted by Tack
I’ve been in at various times since it re-opened and it’s never been crowded. The Buffett isn’t huge, but the offerings were quite good. I remember two items I thought were really nice- Cajun rubbed turkey with honey corn bread and an asparagus and mushroom fricassee. They have a hot side and a cold side. The standard booze options. As I said, there was plenty of room and over all it’s a very comfortable lounge. You know FFD is still closed or it was as of last Saturday. Since the re opening, I’ve become a fan of the FL. I find each one has a bit of a regional offering. JFK is still my favorite, love the deli danish plate at the Buffett. But over all I believe that the DFW FL won’t disappoint.
All the FL are pretty good. I think Chicago
may have the largest buffet but they don’t have FFD. Food is generally better than on AA metal in any service.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club

Thanks,
For overnight flights, I prefer eating a good meal at the airport (Flagship Lounge buffet constitutes a good meal in my book) and grabbing a quick decaf tea or a scotch on the aeroplane once airborne. Sleeping is my top priority, and if you let your FA know this they will certainly provide you with a quick beverage so you can get to sleep.

DFW constitutes 8+ hours to Europe, so depending on your sleeping needs, you may be able to indulge on some of the inflight services. I'm a sleeper (7-9 hours feels good), so your best approach may be different if you're accustomed to less sleep.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
FFD is still closed in DFW? Darn. I was hoping to use one of my CK vouchers to dine there this week.
Is wine in DFW still self-serve like before or do they have someone serving it?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by NPZ
may have the largest buffet but they don’t have FFD. Food is generally better than on AA metal in any service.
Though this was about 5 or 6 years ago, the ORD FL's buffet had the largest selection of offerings I've ever seen in any airport lounge. If I recall, they had braised duck breast & leg in a light cream sauce, some kind of fish, a pretty fancy rice dish with shrimp (no idea what it's called but tasted fantastic) and assorted other small dish stuff. Also, because of a long layover and preference to avoid the chill in the city, I was there long enough to see they rotated offerings mid-day.

I had always wondered if it had been just that period of if this FL consistently offered a buffet of this quality and selection. Back then, there were hardly anyone in there and we almost had the lounge to ourselves.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
FFD is still closed in DFW? Darn. I was hoping to use one of my CK vouchers to dine there this week.
Is wine in DFW still self-serve like before or do they have someone serving it?
All alcohol, including wine and bubbles are self serve. Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:15 am
NPZ

Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
All alcohol, including wine and bubbles are self serve. Cheers.
In ORD, MIA and DFW, I have often seen staff there insisting on pouring it for you.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:43 am
NPZ

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
In ORD, MIA and DFW, I have often seen staff there insisting on pouring it for you.
I’ve only seen them offer a glass on entry since reopening otherwise it was the same experience at MIA and JFK as it was before Covid. Self serve.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by NPZ
I’ve only seen them offer a glass on entry since reopening otherwise it was the same experience at MIA and JFK as it was before Covid. Self serve.
Same experience for me. Now I did have DFW food staff offer to re-fill my wine, but that was truly an offer and not a requirement. I was in JFK a week ago and the serving staff at the wine table appeared to be assigned there, but only to wipe up after us slobs, and more importantly, replace the bottles that had given their life for our enjoyment. Honestly, I like self serve. And as stated, I’ve been very satisfied with the FL lounges. Lounge access is, for me, the top OW selling point.

Last edited by Tack; Mar 29, 2022 at 11:01 am
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Though this was about 5 or 6 years ago, the ORD FL's buffet had the largest selection of offerings I've ever seen in any airport lounge. If I recall, they had braised duck breast & leg in a light cream sauce, some kind of fish, a pretty fancy rice dish with shrimp (no idea what it's called but tasted fantastic) and assorted other small dish stuff. Also, because of a long layover and preference to avoid the chill in the city, I was there long enough to see they rotated offerings mid-day.

I had always wondered if it had been just that period of if this FL consistently offered a buffet of this quality and selection. Back then, there were hardly anyone in there and we almost had the lounge to ourselves.
Even considering the lack of FFD, I think ORD is the best Flagship in the system. The buffet is immense and the service perfect. Midwest hospitality at its best.
gliderpilot, Visconti and NPZ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.