Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I took a look back at some of my prior reviews of FFD and they're in line with my memories -- some great apps (lobster cocktail, oysters with roe, clams in broth), some mediocre to poor mains (the bolognese, the ribeye), and some decent but not amazing mains (the lamb shank). See here: JFK (Aug 2018), LAX (Sep 2018), LAX (Dec 2018), JFK (Nov 2019). Plenty to complain about if I were paying for the food at a restaurant, but plenty to enjoy if there's no downside to trying a bunch of dishes, pecking at the ones you don't like, and ordering repeats of the ones you do... washing it all down with great booze... and then zombie-walking over to a lie-flat seat on an airplane to pass out for a few hours.
Cool to look at those old reviews.. And fair points across the board on this and your last post. Just def. could be better overall imo. The food aspect. But its great to have for free no doubt about it. And I really cant wait to go back end of Nov for some more 1942 and LPGS. Hope Lax is open by end of Feb.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
FFD is average at best and my local food trucks blow it away.
OK, let’s step back for a second…

The comparison really shouldn’t be your local food trucks. Most of us here presumably know what a nice restaurant meal (or ?food truck meal) looks like. AA FFD is apples and oranges. It’s an airport meal. You need to compare it to a regular AC, other standard lounges, plus then for the best comparison, to things like OWE Lounge F meals (BA, CK, QR, etc.) and then maybe the UA Polaris selections.

AA FFD is an oasis compared to everything else in the airport. That’s really all that matters.

Originally Posted by metallo

The comparison really shouldn’t be your local food trucks. Most of us here presumably know what a nice restaurant meal (or ?food truck meal) looks like. AA FFD is apples and oranges. It’s an airport meal. You need to compare it to a regular AC, other standard lounges, plus then for the best comparison, to things like OWE Lounge F meals (BA, CK, QR, etc.) and then maybe the UA Polaris selections.

AA FFD is an oasis compared to everything else in the airport. That’s really all that matters.
Sorry, meant CX, not CK lol.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 1, 2021 at 11:18 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Good points that expecting a top restaurant quality meal in a lounge is setting up for disappointment. Maybe that’s the fault of the airline marketing or travel blogs. For all the hype that is QF LAX for example I thought the food was very average.

If you are transiting of course the F lounge is a great option, very nice to eat/drink/hang out/shower all in one place. Or if you are originating and have ample opportunity to eat at any restaurant in your hometown, might as well try it and eat for free. But if you are an infrequent visitor, always more satisfying to eat in the city than the lounge…
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
To get things back on topic, any news on LAX, DFW, and ORD?
MsEllie likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Good points that expecting a top restaurant quality meal in a lounge is setting up for disappointment. Maybe that’s the fault of the airline marketing or travel blogs. For all the hype that is QF LAX for example I thought the food was very average.

If you are transiting of course the F lounge is a great option, very nice to eat/drink/hang out/shower all in one place. Or if you are originating and have ample opportunity to eat at any restaurant in your hometown, might as well try it and eat for free. But if you are an infrequent visitor, always more satisfying to eat in the city than the lounge…
Good point. Some of these bloggers hype it up way more than it should be, the actual food I mean. Cant beat it for transiting and free food and good booze.

Originally Posted by metallo

Fair points. Compared to airport food/restaurants then of course you're spot on and correct.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
friends... it's all about crushing multiple bottles of LPGS and getting your $300 worth. LOL .

I plan to get value out of my LAX-MIA-JFK-MIA-LAX FFD extravaganza by drinking. Eat some food just so I can keep drinking... I sound like I have a problem ugh
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
The concept of "free" food is hilarious!

James
scoonee and LovePrunes like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The best aspect is to avoid the on board meal, eat earlier then 9m and sleep on the plane easier for me.

Free booze doesn’t do it for me, my age has caught up and drinking a lot is in the past. LPGC or Krug MV is lovely but not not worth the food disappointment. Key is to have the right expectations.

I still think an eggplant parm hero from Parm or pastrami from Katz’s is more reliably delicious than FFD.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The concept of "free" food is hilarious!

James
Especially when you pay for Flagship First or Business and the majority of Flagship lounges are CLOSED. Taking my 3rd Flagship flight since June in a few weeks and it's really starting to get under my skin that I'm not getting what I paid for.
Flying for Fun and jamabam like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SKYEG
friends... it's all about crushing multiple bottles of LPGS and getting your $300 worth. LOL .

I plan to get value out of my LAX-MIA-JFK-MIA-LAX FFD extravaganza by drinking. Eat some food just so I can keep drinking... I sound like I have a problem ugh
Not a problem. "But I only drink when I fly." "Um, you seem to fly every week!"

That said, I hope today's FL beverage selection will be to my liking!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not a problem. "But I only drink when I fly." "Um, you seem to fly every week!"

That said, I hope today's FL beverage selection will be to my liking!
Please report back! With the best bottles disappearing at FFD, I wouldn't be surprised if they restocked the FL bubbly with baby duck...
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
To get things back on topic, any news on LAX, DFW, and ORD?
Was in LAX last week for an international flight and was still closed, they're still using the FL for AC overflow. I will be passing through again today and will ask, still don't understand why LAX wouldn't be opened with their premium demand.
TravelingZoomer and jamabam like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by safari ari
Was in LAX last week for an international flight and was still closed, they're still using the FL for AC overflow. I will be passing through again today and will ask, still don't understand why LAX wouldn't be opened with their premium demand.
While you may get a sympathetic ear and answer, the answer to this, and many other questions is the same answer to the question "Why do dogs lick themselves?'"

I doubt AA has lost more than a few passengers by having the FL closed. What are your choices, having caviar service in the B6 lounge? Or perhaps some Taittinger Comtes de Champagne in the now-OW partner AS lounge?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
Best thing in the LAX lounge is the supply of pumpkin blondies......
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Asked the agents at LAX, basically, it's not on the current calendar. She explained that they had their schedules setup for November already, and the FL was not accounted for in that month. So at best December, but I'm guessing even that is not going to happen. But hey, the cheese cube bowl was a-flowing.
GrumpyYoungMan and jamabam like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.