Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000

I was wondering actually last week about this same idea. I wanted to post about if we can set up a thread for Guesting ppl into FL/FFD. I'd help someone and guest them in any time and it would be cool to get the same benefit in a situation where I dont have access.

I imagine this is something that has been discussed and pre Covid maybe this community was doing?
FYI.. Such a thread already exists.Guide: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge etc. Meet Up & Guest Offer

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24863700-post1.html
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
IME, tipping is very much expected in FFD. Depending on the airport, sometimes they left you a little clipboard at the end of your meal where it was clearly implied tipping was expected. I always just left a $20 - whether I had a full meal or stopped in for a nightcap/dessert upon arrival. The service always seemed to at least justify that amount, in my opinion. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
I completely agree and do the same - the FFD staff are always wonderful.
LCSinTexas and robertablake like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:35 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
My understanding is that the PHL FL was under construction before the pandemic began, which would lead us to believe they were planing some flights with Flagship service. Does anyone know the latest on if/when PHL will open the FL?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PHL
My understanding is that the PHL FL was under construction before the pandemic began, which would lead us to believe they were planing some flights with Flagship service. Does anyone know the latest on if/when PHL will open the FL?
This begs the question...what airport has the most international departures? I suppose there should be a direct correlation between international destinations served and the Flagship Lounge?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
This begs the question...what airport has the most international departures? I suppose there should be a direct correlation between international destinations served and the Flagship Lounge?
I think it matters more which has the most international destinations which are open. DFW probably has more international departures but many of those flights are going out with low load factors because, for example, no one can travel to China or South Korea right now. JFK probably has more to Europe which is open (at least for the vaccinated).
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:29 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
The correlation should be for which airports have the most flagship service flights, which PHL has never had any. But if they were building a lounge then it leads me to believe that marketing some routes would follow..
MIA has a lot of international destinations, but they don't all have flagship service. LAX has just LHR a few times per day as a passenger flight with FS, but also has JFK, BOS and MIA that also have FS.
PHL currently has 5 European routes, but none offer flagship service at the moment. Prior to the pandemic, PHL had 2x+ that many European routes in peak season

Obviously, this map is a moving target until the pandemic is better under control on a global scale.
https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/Do...0121d-2021.pdf
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Just like pre-covid!

Originally Posted by lunchtime
Sitting in the AA Flagship lounge right now at JFK. Arrived off of a red-eye and granted access immediately.

Pretty much having flashbacks to 2019....
Showers were open ( i used it)
Buffet was pretty much the exact breakfast options of the past
Make your own bloodie mary station
make your own mamosa station
offering a glass of champagne on arrival
Cofffee bar and drinks were all self service
Regular glass cups, regular real plates, Paper Napkins

Compared to my admirals lounge experience a week ago........this was like the exact opposite. Tons of space and good stuff. Really what you remember from 2019 as of right now, not sure if things will change. Lots of AA people watching the experience and greeting everyone welcoming us back.
I just got in to the FL at JFK. I was welcome with a glass of champagne right after the door. Very good food, indeed. The pernil (pork) is very tasty. A selection of sushi, fish, cheeses, etc. makes it significantly better than the AC.

it is quite empty at this time. Maybe as the international flights pick up later in the day it will become busier.

Flagship dining will restart tomorrow

I counter at least 20 people working in the FL, and I see a lower number of flyers. One of the ladies who just brought me another glass of champagne told me that it got very busy yesterday later in the afternoon. Im
happy things are getting (although slowly) back to normal.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:58 am

Thanks for the pic. I will be in FFD later this week and hopefully upload some pics!
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pedro M
I just got in to the FL at JFK. I was welcome with a glass of champagne right after the door. Very good food, indeed. The pernil (pork) is very tasty. A selection of sushi, fish, cheeses, etc. makes it significantly better than the AC.

it is quite empty at this time. Maybe as the international flights pick up later in the day it will become busier....

... told me that it got very busy yesterday later in the afternoon. Im
happy things are getting (although slowly) back to normal.
Thanks for the pics!

Pre-covid it was always very quiet in the early afternoon. Very nice time to be there.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Now the JFK FL is quite busy!

Originally Posted by Global321
Thanks for the pics!

Pre-covid it was always very quiet in the early afternoon. Very nice time to be there.
The FL got busy now. Lots of people at the FL. I guess I got earlier than most flyers since I flew MCO-JFK on JetBlue earlier I the day, as it was the only option other than flying AA to EWR and then finding a way to JFK.

Any other FTers at the FL now?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
The correlation should be for which airports have the most flagship service flights, which PHL has never had any. But if they were building a lounge then it leads me to believe that marketing some routes would follow..
MIA has a lot of international destinations, but they don't all have flagship service. LAX has just LHR a few times per day as a passenger flight with FS, but also has JFK, BOS and MIA that also have FS.
PHL currently has 5 European routes, but none offer flagship service at the moment. Prior to the pandemic, PHL had 2x+ that many European routes in peak season
Huh? Any AA international long-haul flight is flagship service, and all business class passengers on those flights are entitled to use the Flagship Lounge where available. PHL was one of the later airports to get a FL probably because there wasnt as much of a competitive reason to offer the better lounge experience. Certainly pre-pandemic there was a ton of long-haul international flagship service from PHL. Are they really not even serving PHL-LHR now?
JJeffrey, DMPHL and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:23 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Huh? Any AA international long-haul flight is flagship service, and all business class passengers on those flights are entitled to use the Flagship Lounge where available. PHL was one of the later airports to get a FL probably because there wasnt as much of a competitive reason to offer the better lounge experience. Certainly pre-pandemic there was a ton of long-haul international flagship service from PHL. Are they really not even serving PHL-LHR now?
Yes, LHR is among the 5 destinations served from PHL. I should have been more specific in my comment about what constitutes FS, which I believe is the whole experience. What is different between a FS JFK-LHR business class flight vs. a FS PHL-LHR business class flight? Answer: The pre-flight experience.

So, yes, if PHL is marketing Flagship service flights, they better darn well start offering the lounge service to go with it. During pre-pandemic times, PHL was, and will in the future be, a huge European hub.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by General99
a bummer nothing has really changed, except now you get Champaign when you enter. I wish they would upgrade the food, the Buffett really doesn't offer that many good dishes. A la carte would have been nice. They also announced that flagship first dining access will be expanded with details announced soon. That will be intresting.
I mean have you travelled much during covid? Everything else has taken huge cuts and declines in service!!! To be 2019 levels is amazing. I expected a huge decline in offerings or all pre packaged items like the admirals club. The fact that it was the same is an amazing win, everything else on aa in 2021 has reduced service.

The champagne on entry really may have just been because it was opening day.......
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by lunchtime
all pre packaged items like the admirals club
AC food is not pre-packaged now. Most have been back to normal buffets for a while.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
AC food is not pre-packaged now. Most have been back to normal buffets for a while.
Oh please....I was just at the jfk AC last week and it was almost pre packaged crap. Very little and what they had was junk. They didn't even have any free beers as the taps were out. My last stop at the AC was a joke and sad really. Using covid to offer very little

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.