Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Well this is an interesting bit of news re: the JFK shuffle.

Have a T-Con F flight in May '23 that I was looking forward to using JFK FFD for the first time post-COVID (I know it's not THAT great, but better than other options out there).

But this new joint "Chelsea" lounge sounds like an overall positive option for F flyers.

Is there any links out there highlighting the Chelsea @ JFK offerings?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
The Jamaican chicken was pretty good, but granted it was a fresh tray. There were no plates or glasses to be found for quite some tonight tonight as the place was stacked and under staffed. Will be nice when the new complex opens on 12/1.

On another note — all Flagship branding has been covered up. I.e., if you walked up to the elevators / stairs (or even the entrance) you’d have no idea that it is open.
Despite the FL branding being covered up and all the changes coming was FFD still open?

Also, if I missed it up above I'm sorry for repeating, but where is the Chelsea Lounge going to actually go? And I thought FL would still be there as the regular J lounge after the changes? Also, will there still be a regular AC on the other concourse?

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Anyone know if the FL is reopened in DFW? I don’t mean FFD, just the whole lounge. Upthread someone reported it was closed for a leak the other day.
Just bumping BlooJoo's question. (I never saw an answer after the Nov 12 post.) I would cetainly HOPE that the leak was repaired by now, but looking for confirmation that the DFW FL is open. And DFW FFD as well! AA's schedule change and equipment swaps (77W -> 772) on the LHR-JFK route last night now have moved my connection from JFK (so won't see Chelsea Lounge this trip) to DFW to stay in F and connect same day.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Just bumping BlooJoo's question. (I never saw an answer after the Nov 12 post.) I would cetainly HOPE that the leak was repaired by now, but looking for confirmation that the DFW FL is open. And DFW FFD as well! AA's schedule change and equipment swaps (77W -> 772) on the LHR-JFK route last night now have moved my connection from JFK (so won't see Chelsea Lounge this trip) to DFW to stay in F and connect same day.
Would love an answer, but aside, that's a ways out of your way to go for AA "First Class"!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Despite the FL branding being covered up and all the changes coming was FFD still open?

Also, if I missed it up above I'm sorry for repeating, but where is the Chelsea Lounge going to actually go? And I thought FL would still be there as the regular J lounge after the changes? Also, will there still be a regular AC on the other concourse?

Thanks
Yes FFD is still open even though the signage has gone. The FL/FFD complex is on the left after security. The Chelsea Lounge is on the right, above the new gate area that has been reconstructed.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea
Yes FFD is still open even though the signage has gone. The FL/FFD complex is on the left after security. The Chelsea Lounge is on the right, above the new gate area that has been reconstructed.
Gotcha, thanks..

What will the current FL be called if its not going to be called FL? So in the end there will be the Chelsea Lounge, the current FL/AC space & then the one AC on the other concourse will remain?

I must have missed any of the construction work, I had no idea anything new was coming and was at JFK a month ago & a week ago.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:33 pm

Gotcha, thanks..

What will the current FL be called if its not going to be called FL? So in the end there will be the Chelsea Lounge, the current FL/AC space & then the one AC on the other concourse will remain?

I must have missed any of the construction work, I had no idea anything new was coming and was at JFK a month ago & a week ago.
Yes that’s right. The existing two lounges will be rebranded to be called Soho and Greenwich. I can’t remember which one is which!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Would love an answer, but aside, that's a ways out of your way to go for AA "First Class"!
Not really. For MSN, DFW is a frequent connection point for many flights - especially TATL international. And, even though it can have winter issues, it is generally a better bet than ORD or many east coast possibilities. But, once booked, I'd rather keep the class I paid for than be downgraded or overnighted - as well as have a siginficantly longer connection. And now I can sleep in longer!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by spanishflea
Yes that’s right. The existing two lounges will be rebranded to be called Soho and Greenwich. I can’t remember which one is which!
My understanding:
  • Greenwich Lounge: OW Sapphire or flying in J (so same rules as Flagship Lounge) - this will encompass the space of the current FL/AC/FFD
  • SoHo Lounge: OW Emerald
  • Chelsea Lounge: flying in F (remains to be seen whether transcon F will grant access)
Old Nov 20, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
A thread with details and discussion is in the BA forum (linked below), but here is a brief summary: The three new, AA-BA jointly run lounges in T8 Concourse B from 1 December 2022 will be Chelsea, Soho, and Greenwich. There will no longer be a separate AA Flagship Lounge or a separate AA Admirals Club in T8 Concourse B when the changeover is complete, but the AA Admirals Club in T8 Concourse C will remain.

Chelsea will be roughly equivalent to an AA Flagship Lounge / AA Flagship First Dining room / BA Concorde Room, Soho will be roughly equivalent to an AA Flagship Lounge / BA First lounge, and Greenwich will be roughly equivalent to an AA Admirals Club / BA Club lounge. I know I included a Flagship Lounge in there twice -- it's because it's not entirely clear yet what the stratification will be. If someone has more detail, please post it here.

From the AA passenger perspective, it would be great to know who will be able to access which lounge and when, but I haven't seen that information yet (perhaps it's out there somewhere, and someone can post it here as well). There is extensive discussion in the following thread in the BA forum:

BA move to Terminal 8 at JFK/ American abolishing international first class

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I assume that there is no way LAX will reopen now under the circumstances… I'm wondering when LHR might reopen even the AC, much less the FL that had been planned, IIRC.
The LAX FL reopened on 26 January 2022, though FFD has not reopened yet. The LHR AC in T3 reopened in August 2022. The existing AA International First Class Lounge at LHR in T3 has not reopened yet, but the latest rumour is "end of November" 2022. Who knows…
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
A thread with details and discussion is in the BA forum (linked below), but here is a brief summary: The three new, AA-BA jointly run lounges in T8 Concourse B from 1 December 2022 will be Chelsea, Soho, and Greenwich. There will no longer be a separate AA Flagship Lounge or a separate AA Admirals Club in T8 Concourse B when the changeover is complete, but the AA Admirals Club in T8 Concourse C will remain.

Chelsea will be roughly equivalent to an AA Flagship Lounge / AA Flagship First Dining room / BA Concorde Room, Soho will be roughly equivalent to an AA Flagship Lounge / BA First lounge, and Greenwich will be roughly equivalent to an AA Admirals Club / BA Club lounge. I know I included a Flagship Lounge in there twice -- it's because it's not entirely clear yet what the stratification will be. If someone has more detail, please post it here.

From the AA passenger perspective, it would be great to know who will be able to access which lounge and when, but I haven't seen that information yet (perhaps it's out there somewhere, and someone can post it here as well). There is extensive discussion in the following thread in the BA forum:

BA move to Terminal 8 at JFK/ American abolishing international first class

The LAX FL reopened on 26 January 2022, though FFD has not reopened yet. The LHR AC in T3 reopened in August 2022. The existing AA International First Class Lounge at LHR in T3 has not reopened yet, but the latest rumour is "end of November" 2022. Who knows…
Thanks for summarizing!

My understanding is as follows based on the BA forum thread, chatting with the T7 CCR folks a few weeks ago and recently talking with the FL agents at JFK. Similar to your description with a few minor tweaks — we’ll need to see how it shakes out on 12/1.

Chelsea: CCR / FFD criteria. Inbound flights with connections should continue to qualify. (Note - this will likely change when business plus is introduced as that will replace AA F, at least this is what I was told).

Soho: OWEs, likely with the carve out that exists today for AA and AS elites on domestic itineraries. There will be direct access from security, similar to GF at T5.

Greenwich: OWS and business class passengers. I interpret this to mean that it is a continuation of the existing flagship lounge and in the same space (plus taking over the current concourse B AC and likely the FFD space, which is what happened during summer 2021). Same AA / AS domestic carve out for domestic itineraries.

The concourse C AC continues on, which is currently the most relaxed place to spend time.

BA branding is already showing up at the check in area.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:10 pm

Thanks for summarizing!

My understanding is as follows based on the BA forum thread, chatting with the T7 CCR folks a few weeks ago and recently talking with the FL agents at JFK. Similar to your description with a few minor tweaks — we’ll need to see how it shakes out on 12/1.

Chelsea: CCR / FFD criteria. Inbound flights with connections should continue to qualify. (Note - this will likely change when business plus is introduced as that will replace AA F, at least this is what I was told).

Soho: OWEs, likely with the carve out that exists today for AA and AS elites on domestic itineraries. There will be direct access from security, similar to GF at T5.

Greenwich: OWS and business class passengers. I interpret this to mean that it is a continuation of the existing flagship lounge and in the same space (plus taking over the current concourse B AC and likely the FFD space, which is what happened during summer 2021). Same AA / AS domestic carve out for domestic itineraries.

The concourse C AC continues on, which is currently the most relaxed place to spend time.

Where and when did all of this news originate? I must have missed it all.. Feels weird to take away one of AA's premiere lounges by name. Not that it was great or anything. BA and AA arent teaming up at any other airports right?

Curious where will Soho be if Greenwich is taking up all the space of current FL/AC?

If the current FFD is in the least prestigious of the 3 lounges surely it wont be used as a dining room anymore? Just an overflow space?

Qualifying access is confusing enough with just an FL, now we have 3 lounges to learn rules on.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Where and when did all of this news originate? I must have missed it all.. Feels weird to take away one of AA's premiere lounges by name. Not that it was great or anything. BA and AA arent teaming up at any other airports right?

Curious where will Soho be if Greenwich is taking up all the space of current FL/AC?

If the current FFD is in the least prestigious of the 3 lounges surely it wont be used as a dining room anymore? Just an overflow space?

Qualifying access is confusing enough with just an FL, now we have 3 lounges to learn rules on.
It basically follows the rules that exist at LHR T5 (excluding the AA / AS domestic carve out). These rules also applied to AA pax before the move back to T3 this summer.

Press release is here.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Thanks for summarizing!

transcon J will be in, SoHo?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by lonelygod
transcon J will be in, SoHo?
I think Greenwich if I am reading it right. Although Transcon in general is the confusion I see. If F getting into Soho or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.