Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining to start reopening September 2021

Old Aug 24, 22, 4:48 pm
  #1561  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Posts: 896
Originally Posted by jljones78 View Post
Stopped by the ORD FL yesterday. Piper-Heidsieck offered at the door. Staff was very friendly as usual. This lounge has always sort of struck me as the most similar to a good AC, whereas (IMO) DFW and MIA are clearly a step above.

The food selection was pretty abysmal -- sad looking/tasting Italian beef sliders, heirloom cauliflower, mashed sweet potatoes, some salads, charcuterie and gas station-looking sushi (Philadelphia rolls and veggie rolls). Maybe I missed the more substantial entrees as I got there late and there was only the ORD LHR 9:15p left. They had a menu up that looked pretty good, but none of that food was out at 7:30p, which seemed odd. There were stations set up with sweets all over the lounge, but that's not really my thing.

Besides the Piper they had a mid-range dry German Riesling from the Mosel, an Italian still rose, and Italian chardonnay, and Round Pond Sauvignon Blanc for the white/pink offerings. For the reds they had a 2019 Vietti Perbacco Nebbiolo that's nice but too young for my taste, 2018/2019 Textbook Cabernet which was fine, and a Pinot Noir I can't recall. With all the Italian wines I felt like I was flying TATL with a Bobby Stuckey list circa 2017. I poured tasters of all these but didn't finish any, as I preferred the Piper over everything at the bar. The retail price range of these wines was probably $15-30, so the Piper really stands out in that regard. There was a large selection of spirits and plenty of beers, including a couple of local brews.

AA isn't flying much international these days out of ORD, and it seems like it's showing at this FL.
Regrettably, those wines are better than what they serve on the plane--including in First.
Muckus is offline  
Old Aug 29, 22, 12:31 pm
  #1562  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SF
Programs: UA Plat/MM, AA 2MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, AF Gold, Bonvoy Tit (LTP), HH Dia
Posts: 1,106
Newbie question here, but despite having spent plenty of time in JFK, I've never connected thru JFK (domestic or otherwise). I have an upcoming SFO-JFK-ANU rt, with a 90min connection outbound D/I, and an 80min connection inbound I/D. I'm in F transcon, J to/from Antigua. Guessing I'm not going to have much time for FFD, at least on the return, but wanted to ask somebody with experience--

Is 80mins enough to clear customs in JFK (from ANU) and make it back to connect to my SFO flight? Will there be a fast track through security for FF after clearing customs? We have global entry and will be carrying-on, so won't have to wait for bags. Expertflyer says AA-AA, Int-Dom only needs 75mins, but that seems pretty tight. There are less risky connections through MIA, but difference in hard product to/from SF is material.

Thanks in advance!
ps9a is offline  
Old Aug 29, 22, 12:45 pm
  #1563  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 10,259
Originally Posted by ps9a View Post
Newbie question here, but despite having spent plenty of time in JFK, I've never connected thru JFK (domestic or otherwise). I have an upcoming SFO-JFK-ANU rt, with a 90min connection outbound D/I, and an 80min connection inbound I/D. I'm in F transcon, J to/from Antigua. Guessing I'm not going to have much time for FFD, at least on the return, but wanted to ask somebody with experience--

Is 80mins enough to clear customs in JFK (from ANU) and make it back to connect to my SFO flight? Will there be a fast track through security for FF after clearing customs? We have global entry and will be carrying-on, so won't have to wait for bags. Expertflyer says AA-AA, Int-Dom only needs 75mins, but that seems pretty tight. There are less risky connections through MIA, but difference in hard product to/from SF is material.

Thanks in advance!
80 mins is plenty of time especially with GE and no checked bags. Just use the Pre-check security line. If you're on time you should have at least 30-45 mins in FFD on the way back.
ps9a likes this.
JJeffrey is online now  
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:51 pm
  #1564  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Posts: 851
Checked out the MIA flagship lounge food offerings for the first time this evening, definitely after peak hours, and it was quite nice (previous two visits were with FFD and one pre-COVID visit ahead of an LHR flight for about 15 minutes).

Food offerings topped JFK, ORD and LAX (I havenít been to DFW). It demonstrated: 1) how limited the ORD offerings are, and 2) how picked over JFK gets during peak hours.

The action station with the full fillet of salmon was and felt like a legitimate meal. Liquor selection just topped JFK, though the wine selection did not appear to pull off the FFD menu (as is currently the case at JFK). i know itís a bit of a different story during the evening rush /morning arrivals from Sourh America, but nevertheless seemed like a ton of space to spread people out.
madmanshoney likes this.
ryanbriar is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 8:57 pm
  #1565  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Posts: 3,413
The LAX FL today was not great. Very hot, and the buffet was pretty picked over with empty serving trays.

They have also not brought back any of the local craft beers that they used to have (and that ORD and DFW still have). Just a bunch of Inbev garbage.

Would have walked over to QF F, but didn't have a lot of time and had an Eagle flight I had to trudge out for (with shuttles that were backed up/delayed).
SNA_Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 8:26 am
  #1566  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA GGLfL
Posts: 1,330
Hi, I'm flying AA from JFK to LHR for the first time in years next week. I'm British Airways Gold Guest List (rough equivalent to ConciergeKey). Do I get access to Flagship Dining?
Lolbert is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 8:30 am
  #1567  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: LAX, SNA, LGB
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by Lolbert View Post
Hi, I'm flying AA from JFK to LHR for the first time in years next week. I'm British Airways Gold Guest List (rough equivalent to ConciergeKey). Do I get access to Flagship Dining?
Only if your flight from JFK to LHR is either in flagship first or in flagship business plus.
hsumh316 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:41 am
  #1568  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,327
Talking

Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post
...the wine selection did not appear to pull off the FFD menu (as is currently the case at JFK).
I think you're being too generous with AA here. I don't think the JFK FL wine pulls from the FFD menu. I'm pretty sure it's the other way around
ryanbriar likes this.
DMPHL is offline  
Old Sep 14, 22, 1:33 am
  #1569  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT (former Ambassador), Uber One, UA Silver
Posts: 1,144
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer View Post
The LAX FL today was not great. Very hot
IME, that is always the case there.
ikwia is offline  
Old Sep 14, 22, 1:17 pm
  #1570  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 1,795
Originally Posted by ikwia View Post
IME, that is always the case there.
Def gets hot but we have been having really hot weather and so many windows dont help.

Little secret......please lets keep this between just us...............Back room on the right before FFD has its own thermostat. You can freeze the room. Just walk over the rope that prevents you from going to that area.. Then lower to 68/69, grab the day bed and relax and be COLD.

Please just raise it back to 78 that they have it at because otherwise they are going to lock that thermostat permanently
madmanshoney likes this.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Sep 14, 22 at 3:27 pm
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 22, 1:42 pm
  #1571  
NPZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: One World
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by ryanbriar View Post
Checked out the MIA flagship lounge food offerings for the first time this evening, definitely after peak hours, and it was quite nice (previous two visits were with FFD and one pre-COVID visit ahead of an LHR flight for about 15 minutes).

Food offerings topped JFK, ORD and LAX (I havenít been to DFW). It demonstrated: 1) how limited the ORD offerings are, and 2) how picked over JFK gets during peak hours.

The action station with the full fillet of salmon was and felt like a legitimate meal. Liquor selection just topped JFK, though the wine selection did not appear to pull off the FFD menu (as is currently the case at JFK). i know itís a bit of a different story during the evening rush /morning arrivals from Sourh America, but nevertheless seemed like a ton of space to spread people out.
Interesting... I have always found ORD to be the best of the FL and it's never really been close in my experience. Miami has a much much better offering in the FL while JFK is the weakest of the bunch. I've always assumed ORD to be the best because they don't off first dining. To be fair I've only been back to ORD FL once since covid so maybe it isn't what it used to be. I have been to JFK FL & FFD about 4 times this year... the experiences are never the same... inconsistency at its finest while Miami FFD has consistently been the best of the flagship dinning locations. Can't really comment on DFW or LAX since reopening.
ryanbriar likes this.
NPZ is offline  
Old Sep 14, 22, 1:45 pm
  #1572  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 2,231
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000 View Post
Def gets hot but we have been having really hot weather and so many windows dont help.

Little secret......please lets keep this between just us...............Back room on the right before FFD has its on thermostat. You can freeze the room. Just walk over the rope that prevents you from going to that area.. Then lower to 68/69, grab the day bed and relax and be COLD.

Please just raise it back to 78 that they have it at because otherwise they are going to lock that thermostat permanently
ryanbriar likes this.
BlooJoo is offline  
Old Sep 16, 22, 5:21 pm
  #1573  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Posts: 851
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
I think you're being too generous with AA here. I don't think the JFK FL wine pulls from the FFD menu. I'm pretty sure it's the other way around
Touchť!

Originally Posted by NPZ View Post
Interesting... I have always found ORD to be the best of the FL and it's never really been close in my experience. Miami has a much much better offering in the FL while JFK is the weakest of the bunch. I've always assumed ORD to be the best because they don't off first dining. To be fair I've only been back to ORD FL once since covid so maybe it isn't what it used to be. I have been to JFK FL & FFD about 4 times this year... the experiences are never the same... inconsistency at its finest while Miami FFD has consistently been the best of the flagship dinning locations. Can't really comment on DFW or LAX since reopening.
ORD is a nice place to lounge and I donít think gets as busy given the volume of flights (which is nice), but the food on offer is definitely not at the MIA level. I agree w/r/t the JFK comments.
ryanbriar is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:43 pm
  #1574  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 79
Anyone happen to have a recent experience concerning what the breakfast service is like at the DFW flagship lounge which they'd be willing to share? Perhaps some photos of what food they have on offer? I looked back through a few pages of this thread and didn't see anything recent.
ts.pub is offline  
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:47 pm
  #1575  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 2,231
Originally Posted by ts.pub View Post
Anyone happen to have a recent experience concerning what the breakfast service is like at the DFW flagship lounge which they'd be willing to share? Perhaps some photos of what food they have on offer? I looked back through a few pages of this thread and didn't see anything recent.
Was there a few weeks back for breakfast. Standard American breakfast fare, also some weird sausage and egg pastry thing, wasn't sure what it was. Breakfast is not particularly innovative in the FL. Not sure if they had a "custom order" option like I've seen in MIA.
BlooJoo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread