F Seats Go Out Empty

Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:38 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It happens. A lot of people simply won’t pay for first on a short flight- even when it’s only 2x40 stickers. Even more so when it’s PHL LAS which takes 5x40.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Its a value proposition. What's an upgrade worth to you - assuming you can get it? The "earn" rate for stickers is pretty steep - you earn 4 for 12,500 EQMs. That means for every 2.5 transcon trips, you earn earn not enough stickers for a one way transcon flight.

So if you're of the opinion that you're upgrade chances are low, you list yourself for every flight. If you're of the opinion that you might just burn up all your stickers, you might not opt to put yourself on the upgrade list for that CLT-TPA flight which is 508 miles and requires two stickers.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
AA kind of is doing that. My DCA-LAX flight in about 2 weeks has 2 F seats open. They can be yours for about $2200 one-way.
AA offers the upgrade (the price difference between coach and F at today's rate) all the time on the app. I got a new one on for an upcoming trip to SNA - they were offering a free change to a different flight - issue though is the change is to LAX. Why would I do that. Unless they offered me $300+.

Here is what I am getting, but no $ - only change to a different airport.
Also - they aren't even offering the same day, either two days earlier or one day later.

Act now for a credit towards a future trip

• If your travel plans are flexible, we have a limited time opportunity for you.
  • Offers may include a chance to join the volunteer list or a flight change.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by only1percent
The recovery of demand post-COVID has not been well-sighted in AA's computer models for scheduling or pricing. Tons of flights going to F0 a week or more out - obviously annoying to elites looking for upgrades but also costing last-minute business or wealthy travelers happy to pay for F either buying Y or going to another carrier. And at the time, if not tons, but notably more common than usual, flights flying out with empty seats in F. I suspect that both of these things are being ironed out with high priority.
Don't forget the F-Class folks who miss their connections due to the ultra-tight-banking-hub-service connections these days.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Giving away F seats just because they are available as a good will gesture is not going to ever happen.
This reminds me of one of my early experiences flying TWA... This was probably a few years before AA bought them out.

I was flying with a friend for a quick vacation. We were both in coach. I had just started getting the taste of regular upgrades to F from full-fare economy business trips. So my friend and I walked up to the GA before boarding and very nicely asked if they had any ability to upgrade us. They very nicely said that they didn't. The flight finished boarding and it was *very* empty across the whole plane. At which point the GA walked on board, walked over to the two of us, and invited us to move to F (as the rest of the pax watched enviously ). She very kindly said that they were going to move a few people over (I'm guessing maybe weight distribution?) and wouldn't we have been upset if they hadn't picked us? Regardless of the reason, I just thought it was such a nice gesture. They didn't have to take two "kids" like us and bump us up. And here I am, a decade (or two? ) later, reminiscing about it.

*That's* what I call earning good will with good customer service. It cost the airline absolutely nothing in terms of revenue, or even any possibility of lost revenue. It's these "little things" of going above and beyond that stick with people. And as silly as it may sound, this experience is one of the reasons I still fly AA, even after all these years and all the changes.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
This reminds me of one of my early experiences flying TWA... This was probably a few years before AA bought them out.

I was flying with a friend for a quick vacation. We were both in coach. I had just started getting the taste of regular upgrades to F from full-fare economy business trips. So my friend and I walked up to the GA before boarding and very nicely asked if they had any ability to upgrade us. They very nicely said that they didn't. The flight finished boarding and it was *very* empty across the whole plane. At which point the GA walked on board, walked over to the two of us, and invited us to move to F (as the rest of the pax watched enviously ). She very kindly said that they were going to move a few people over (I'm guessing maybe weight distribution?) and wouldn't we have been upset if they hadn't picked us? Regardless of the reason, I just thought it was such a nice gesture. They didn't have to take two "kids" like us and bump us up. And here I am, a decade (or two? ) later, reminiscing about it.

*That's* what I call earning good will with good customer service. It cost the airline absolutely nothing in terms of revenue, or even any possibility of lost revenue. It's these "little things" of going above and beyond that stick with people. And as silly as it may sound, this experience is one of the reasons I still fly AA, even after all these years and all the changes.
Is this back when the 500 mile upgrades were actually "Stickers" and when air tickets were actually paper tickets (at some point handwritten in a multilayered book with carbon copies "cc")?
And didn't TWA went bankrupt? Go figure.

Nowadays, GAs have to document and justify upgrades.
Times have changed.
You want fly First? Pay for it, use an upgrade instrument.
Ain't changing any time soon.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
When I started flying over 25 years ago my USAir flight went mechanical flying ORF/DCA which was mainline. I got put on a flight to PHL the next morning, booked in F. ORF/PHL had breakfast in F. LOL.
carlosdca and CLT like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:12 pm

LAS-PHL is a Spirit route as well. Probably even on the AA flight, a lot of leisure passengers without status, and passengers unwilling to spend any more for an upgrade at time of check-in.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion, AS MVP, F9 Elite 20K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beyondhere
LAS-PHL is a Spirit route as well. Probably even on the AA flight, a lot of leisure passengers without status, and passengers unwilling to spend any more for an upgrade at time of check-in.
F9 also flies it daily
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Is this back when the 500 mile upgrades were actually "Stickers" and when air tickets were actually paper tickets (at some point handwritten in a multilayered book with carbon copies "cc")?
Yup... I think I may still have some of those paper ticket stubs sitting around somewhere.... I remember in much later years having a hand-written paper ticket book for my RTW... Boy, did that confuse some agents. But I digress from the topic of this thread.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
.....ORF/PHL had breakfast in F. LOL.
It still should.

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
This reminds me of one of my early experiences flying TWA..........

Yep, little things make a big difference in the long-run. It's too bad that the current environment awards those who are penny-wise and pound-foolish.
wrp96, CLT and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
AA offers the upgrade (the price difference between coach and F at today's rate) all the time on the app. I got a new one on for an upcoming trip to SNA - they were offering a free change to a different flight - issue though is the change is to LAX. Why would I do that. Unless they offered me $300+.

Here is what I am getting, but no $ - only change to a different airport.
Also - they aren't even offering the same day, either two days earlier or one day later.

Act now for a credit towards a future trip

• If your travel plans are flexible, we have a limited time opportunity for you.
  • Offers may include a chance to join the volunteer list or a flight change.
Sometimes the offers are attractive to people who might have booked a cheaper flights and are happy they have the option to change to flights they would rather have
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Sometimes the offers are attractive to people who might have booked a cheaper flights and are happy they have the option to change to flights they would rather have
The message is:
  • You can move to a less busy flight at no charge
Issue here is that LAX is a cheaper destination than SNA. It is more likely that someone books a flight to LAX when they are going to SNA if they want a cheaper flight - not the other way.

Now being offered a late flight to LAX - with no incentive - other than you get a less crowded flight. But this flight is mostly full, all regular sets assigned and only the usual few empty seats which are preferred and MCE.

They aren't offering a credit voucher - the flight I am on is oversold. I guess there is always a sucker.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by beyondhere
LAS may be a leisure market but it's a leisure market with a lot of paid F demand. Can't speak to the LAS-PHL O&D in detail but I know that the LAS-DFW O&D often sells out the front cabin weeks before departure for key weekend travel dates.

Pre-2021 if you wanted to go to Vegas for the first weekend of March Madness* and you wanted to fly in F at decent departure time, you better book your flights 6+ months ahead of time.

*March Madness being just one example of events that cause F cabins to/from LAS sold out well in advance of the travel dates.

I've had empty seats next to me in F on lots of flights in lots of markets but anywhere to/from LAS isn't one of those markets!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.