Community
Wiki Posts
Search

June 2021 EQM/EQD Boosts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by only1percent
So I think that we know the answer to the question "Will there be fewer EPs next year" ... answer, "no." With a butt-in-seat spend of $6,000 after this incentive and the $3,000 Barclaycard EQD incentive, seems like for every one 2019 EP who falls short because of the absence of international business travel, there will be at least one 2019 person who got to Plat or PP on high domestic flying who is back to normal or who has been buying a lot of J and F for leisure.
People on FlyerTalk are in the minority of flyers. There are a lot of former business travelers who aren't flying at all or maybe taking 1-2 trips for the entire year to see family and friends.
chrisny2 and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mrosskam
Anyone know when it says "eligible segment" know if I have a one-way with a connection then it counts as 2 segments and 2,000 EQMs for an EXP?
Obviously. What part of per segment is unclear?

**unless of course you are talking about a direct flight but there are very few of those left in the system. Are there any one-stop same flight number through flights left on AA these days?

Originally Posted by donotblink
People on FlyerTalk are in the minority of flyers. There are a lot of former business travelers who aren't flying at all or maybe taking 1-2 trips for the entire year to see family and friends.
And then there's the minority of FlyerTalkers that has figured out that status is a joke and loyalty is for chumps!
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Herb687
Only if the Y>J upgrade can be confirmed at time of booking
Of course. That was already assumed.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Taking the free EQDs and EQMs is one thing. I did. But please tell me no one here was dumb enough to shell out the $495 to buy more EQMs.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I have no idea why someone would think "status" is a "joke." It's not what it used to be but anyone thinks we'd stay in the 2008/2009 days of DQEMs and a 98% upgrade rate for EXPs really is smoking something.

I know one thing if I couldn't afford F/J for every flight no how no way I'd ever want to be some person boarding in Group 8 and shoved into 32E. When I look at my "relationship" with AA, such that it is, I know I'm getting the better end of the bargain. Last night I flew home to MIA from LGA, paid $90 for the fare, upgraded into F and given a couple of drinks and the high school cafeteria sandwich. I certainly made out better than the non status flyer that also paid $90 and for his/her $90 got them sandwiched in between a couple of POS (increasingly common in society) in seat 28E and got a soft drink.

Not everyone, me included, can always pay for a premium cabin. I do when the "price is right" but sometimes the "price ain't right."
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I have no idea why someone would think "status" is a "joke." It's not what it used to be but anyone thinks we'd stay in the 2008/2009 days of DQEMs and a 98% upgrade rate for EXPs really is smoking something.
Of course EXPs won't see a 98% upgrade rate because I will already be occupying that F seat, regardless of my status!

I know one thing if I couldn't afford F/J for every flight no how no way I'd ever want to be some person boarding in Group 8 and shoved into 32E. When I look at my "relationship" with AA, such that it is, I know I'm getting the better end of the bargain. Last night I flew home to MIA from LGA, paid $90 for the fare, upgraded into F and given a couple of drinks and the high school cafeteria sandwich. I certainly made out better than the non status flyer that also paid $90 and for his/her $90 got them sandwiched in between a couple of POS (increasingly common in society) in seat 28E and got a soft drink.
And how much incremental spend would you estimate you shelled out for the ability to request that "free" space available upgrade?

If you're naturally enjoying EXP status without shelling out any incremental cash to chase it, good for you. Good for you as long as you're not flying sub-optimal flights, routings, airlines, etc. or spending more than you would on a comparable OA flight just to be loyal, that is. With these bonuses I may be an EXP by the end of the year. Or I may barely requalify for PLT. Either way, IDGAF. Whatever status I earn will be that. I'm not going to spend extra money to chase higher status when that incremental spend is better channeled to just buying first when I want it.

Not everyone, me included, can always pay for a premium cabin. I do when the "price is right" but sometimes the "price ain't right."
What about when the price ain't right but the upgrade inventory ain't available either?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
can someone post the offer codes?

it is only showing me the Gold codes even though I'm Plat currently
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:23 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Taking the free EQDs and EQMs is one thing. I did. But please tell me no one here was dumb enough to shell out the $495 to buy more EQMs.
What if that purchase counts as the $200 AMEX PLT incidentals?

The $495 goes directly towards EQDs, too.....$295 is not a bad price for 10k EQMs & $495 EQDs if one is close to the next level....
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1

The $495 goes directly towards EQDs, too.....$295 is not a bad price for 10k EQMs & $495 EQDs if one is close to the next level....
Opportunity cost of the AMEX $200?

Only if you have no other way to spend the AMEX airline ancillary fee credit does your math work.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Of course EXPs won't see a 98% upgrade rate because I will already be occupying that F seat, regardless of my status!
Not everyone can afford to fly F nor have an employer that pays for it.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:39 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Opportunity cost of the AMEX $200?

Only if you have no other way to spend the AMEX airline ancillary fee credit does your math work.
I have never spent any of the $200 credit on anything. haha
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never spent any of the $200 credit on anything. haha
Well then if the $200 credit is truly otherwise completely unusable then I'd say your math is valid and it's correct to treat the cost of buying EQMs as $295.

If that $200 AMEX credit has any other use to you though, then your math is invalid in my opinion as it ignores opportunity cost.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

has anyone verified if it does? I never get any value from that since they cutoff the gift card loophole…
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This is very helpful to me. I have about $7400EQD booked so far for the year, covering all my travel through early October. It was going to be way harder to book another $4600 than $1600.

I doubt I'll need the EQM's, but it's worth calculating. It's trivial (at least for me) to get 80K EQMs while spending $12K, but $9K is a different matter.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
$495 is a no-brainer if it gets you from PPRO to EXP. I'd pay double that for 4 SWUs.
GrumpyYoungMan and tfizzle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.