Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-HNL A321Neo First Class Expectations mid July 2021?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-HNL A321Neo First Class Expectations mid July 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Out of curiosity, are you against narrow bodies on transcon routes? A lot of West Coast-Hawaii flights are a shorter distance than some East-West transcons.
LoL....I know, right?

I fly PHX-OGG a few times a year and it is a nice new plane that A321 NEO.

What's the complaint?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 355F1
LoL....I know, right?

I fly PHX-OGG a few times a year and it is a nice new plane that A321 NEO.

What's the complaint?
6 hours in a lie flat would be much nicer.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am against the A321neo or other twin narrow body jets flying to Hawaii. That feeling is not just across the Pacific but also across the Atlantic to Europe. I don't feel comfortable or safe when flying narrow body jets over the water for such long distance especially when encountering turbulence. It is just a personal feeling.
Two engine narrowbodies have been plying over sea routes for a long time, as long as they meet all aspects of ETOPS certification. That requires demonstrated engine reliability, a special maintenance regime, a more exacting minimum equipment list, additional safety requirements and pilot training.

The A321neo long-range capabilities include ETOPS certification. ETOPS stands for Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards. It may sound complicated, but this means that the aircraft can fly further from a diversion airport than non-ETOPS certified aircraft. While this may not matter so much flying over land, it is especially useful for flying long distances over water. The certification means that the aircraft is now able to fly up to 180 minutes from a diversion airport on 1 engine.” — SimpleFlying

Brief version: https://www.sheffield.com/articles/e...d-how-it-works

More extensive information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS

ICAO and EDTO: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/...nge_Operations
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I believe it will be a new 321 variant going across the pond. I'm assuming there will be a "Mint" like seating as I believe the JV requires flatbeds. That's why the 763 was updated from the slant beds it had.
AA has a total of 50 A321XLRs on order, expected to begin arriving in 2023.

The Airbus A321XLR will have 800 nautical miles of extra range over its predecessor (Boeing 757-200) with higher capacity as well: Up to 200 passengers in a two or three-class layout.

If and when we fly it to close-in Europe, that would require lie-flat seats, all aisle access for business class…allow for premium economy,” American Airlines President Robert Isom said via View from the Wing last July.With this information, it would make sense if the A321XLR’s layout featured 1-1 business class, 2-2 in premium economy, and 3-3 in economy. — SimpleFlying
https://simpleflying.com/american-ai...e-know-so-far/
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I believe it will be a new 321 variant going across the pond. I'm assuming there will be a "Mint" like seating as I believe the JV requires flatbeds. That's why the 763 was updated from the slant beds it had.
That is a fair assumption, given that UA uses B752 with lie-flat to do short-haul TATL. AA can absolutely do the same with A321neo.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:24 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by enviroian
6 hours in a lie flat would be much nicer.
But if a lie-flat isn’t an option then what’s the purpose of saying how terrible it is?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by garykung
That is a fair assumption, given that UA uses B752 with lie-flat to do short-haul TATL. AA can absolutely do the same with A321neo.
This has come up regularly in this forum. For years before the AA merger, US flew B757's from PHL to several TA destinations (I think even a few from CLT).
And as far as Hawaii and narrow body, US flew PHX-Hawaii using B757's for quite a while.
I'm sure that AA will use the A321neo for TA flying, perhaps between some of those same PHL-Europe markets.

I wasn't aware of AA's flying at the time, so I don't know if AA also flew any narrow bodies to Europe or Hawaii before the merger.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 355F1
But if a lie-flat isn’t an option then what’s the purpose of saying how terrible it is?
But it is an option to fly to Hawaii, just not from LAX that's all.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:56 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

But it is an option to fly to Hawaii, just not from LAX that's all.
or PHX.

I am always taking a 6.5 hr nonstop in an A321neo over connecting somewhere just for a lie-flat (I haven’t flown in anything but J/F in the last 4 years on international flights so I have a lot of experience with widebodies.)
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by aztimm
This has come up regularly in this forum. For years before the AA merger, US flew B757's from PHL to several TA destinations (I think even a few from CLT).
And as far as Hawaii and narrow body, US flew PHX-Hawaii using B757's for quite a while.
I'm sure that AA will use the A321neo for TA flying, perhaps between some of those same PHL-Europe markets.

I wasn't aware of AA's flying at the time, so I don't know if AA also flew any narrow bodies to Europe or Hawaii before the merger.
I want to say US flew to AMS, BHX and LIS with 757s.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't fly transcons so I wouldn't know. The longest regular route I fly is dfw-sea but that's not even a lie flat seat so my expectations are in check. I fly Y for business so if I get upgraded fine if not I'm in the bulkhead.
Good to know! Was curious because some people just have a psychological thing where flying over the ocean automatically feels like long-haul, and it feels wrong to them to have a narrow-body plane.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Good to know! Was curious because some people just have a psychological thing where flying over the ocean automatically feels like long-haul, and it feels wrong to them to have a narrow-body plane.
Well, its somewhat understanable. If you have an engine shutdown or someone has a heart attack or if there is a depressurization, and you're over land, there is almost always some airport that is within 30 minutes of your current position - even if the runway is 4,000 in length and you blow 4 tires on landing.

If you're at 27 degrees north and 135 degrees west and are en route to HNL, and you have an engine shutdown or someone has a heart attack or if there is a depressurization, there is nothing you can do for the next 120 minutes until you reach ITO.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:44 pm

DELETE
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:12 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
You will be able to stream AA inflight entertainment, and make sure you bring charger or battery bank. No active WiFI over the Pacific.
What does no WIFI have to do with needing a battery pack? Is there power outlet at seat or not? That would seem to be the more relevant question.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by aztimm
Yes, legacy AA also had transatlantic flying on the 757. Mostly from JFK and BOS, but I also seem to recall ORD-SNN (and maybe another ORD 757 transatlantic route) for a short while.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.