Search

Why no Covid-19 Hawaii Pre-Clear on AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by asnovici
Thank you!

will the screening for the vaccination card take place at check in or the gate or after we arrive?
It depends on your departure city and whether the agents are available to pre-screen you at the departure gate. Not all AA gateway cities offer the service yet. The AA website mentions which cities currently offer it. If not, you will be screened upon landing in Hawaii.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:32 am

Ive flown AA, Delta Alaskan and United into HNL during covid

Im a HI resident with a mother who was sick on the mainland and recently passed. I've made 4 round trip flights each on a different carrier in the last year during covid. By far the most difficult was AA. In fact, the ONLY one with any line was AA because they didnt preclear.
For that reason, most residents avoid this carrier.
The preclear system makes it easy to travel.
Why should AA participate?
Its called customer service...make it easier for ppl who already fly a long flight to fly. Its called being competitive. Things will slow down, people will once again becomes choosy about who they fly with and AA will lose customers.
Just use United or Alaskan instead... they were FANTASTIC. I naturally flashed my wrist and id and was gone. I passed by the 1 hour AA line on the way out of the terminal. Poor suckers.
So glad I wont be doing that again.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Beatriz Gill
Im a HI resident with a mother who was sick on the mainland and recently passed. I've made 4 round trip flights each on a different carrier in the last year during covid. By far the most difficult was AA. In fact, the ONLY one with any line was AA because they didnt preclear.
For that reason, most residents avoid this carrier.
The preclear system makes it easy to travel.
Why should AA participate?
Its called customer service...make it easier for ppl who already fly a long flight to fly. Its called being competitive. Things will slow down, people will once again becomes choosy about who they fly with and AA will lose customers.
Just use United or Alaskan instead... they were FANTASTIC. I naturally flashed my wrist and id and was gone. I passed by the 1 hour AA line on the way out of the terminal. Poor suckers.
So glad I wont be doing that again.
Heartily agree, I was in that AA line back in May and it was very frustrating to watch hundreds with wristbands just walk through while we waited in line for over an hour. If AA wanted to fix this they could.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by scottinaz
Heartily agree, I was in that AA line back in May and it was very frustrating to watch hundreds with wristbands just walk through while we waited in line for over an hour. If AA wanted to fix this they could.
It seems as if AA has seen the light and at least tries to offer pre-clear now, though it sounds like it still may be spotty. I will admit as a UA customer I enjoyed passing the long line of AA folks at OGG back in May. At that point UA/HA/AS/WN all participated in Pre-Clear and advertised this and in spite of that many folks still chose to fly AA.

From the West Coast/PHX AA has chosen not to offer a competitive soft product to Hawaii in either cabin.

In F:
UA/HA/AS: restored hot meal service months ago
AA: Cold sandwich box (now plated on a tray)

In Y:
HA: Free meal
UA/AS: Food/alcohol available for sale and even pre-order
AA: Nope
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:28 pm

I suggest someone on this thread have blogger write about AA lack of Covid 19 pre clear
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA is doing Hawaii pre-clear at ORD, LAX, DFW, and PHX: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...testing#hawaii

Tomorrow, I'm flying AA DFW-KOA - will see how it goes.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
PSA:

Suggest for anyone planning to come to HI to check that the governor (note: already the most unpopular governor in all 50 states prior to covid) has come out with a clear message that tourists are NOT welcome in Hawaii.

Can read more in the news, e.g. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...y-from-hawaii/

Also there's been a lot of talk of bringing back mandatory testing for vaccinated travelers also. Things are likely to change with little to no notice, so if you are planning to travel to Hawaii, follow the news daily and it may be better to get an approved PCR test than presume that the vaccination status will still allow you to bypass quarantine by the time you fly. Also be prepared for more things being shutdown, like beaches and parks on the Big Island (others possibly - likely - to follow) being closed, weddings and other big gatherings being prohibited on Oahu, and so on.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA is doing Hawaii pre-clear at ORD, LAX, DFW, and PHX: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...testing#hawaii

Great to hear! Very long overdue, IMO. Please report back on your DFW Pre-Clear experience.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
[QUOTE=Austin787;33514052]AA is doing Hawaii pre-clear at ORD, LAX, DFW, and PHX: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...testing#hawaii

So this is slightly irritating. Flying next Friday to Lanai out of DFW and based on AA's website checking is done only at gate D28 at DFW? Half the time flights to Hawaii out of DFW leave out of A. So someone presumably will have to schlep from A/C gates over to D to get checked and then back to A? Stupid, stupid stupid.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
see below post--
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Austin787

I'm flying DFW-KOA tomorrow (Wednesday) so I'd love to hear about your experience today. Did you go to D28 to get a wristband? Looks like you are leaving out of A13. Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
My parents and I flew DFW-KOA today, 8/24. After arriving DFW at terminal C we headed to D28 to complete the Hawaii screening and get our wristbands. Few people in line and we were done in 5 minutes. Several agents scanning QR codes. Then took Skylink to the A terminal for our flight. Upon arrival at KOA we were able to go through the wristband path.

Obviously, terminal hopping at DFW is inconvenient. Would be better to have all DFW-Hawaii flights depart out of D, but at least DFW has a Hawaii pre-clear option now.

We had a 2 hour connection at DFW and had 35 minutes to relax in the Admirals Club before boarding.
ESpen36, FlyerBeek and apeortdz like this.

Last edited by Austin787; Aug 24, 2021 at 8:55 pm
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
We flew LAX to LIH last week and AA did the pre-clear wristbands at the Terminal 4 Admiral's Club. This enabled us to use the lane at the LIH airport where they just wave you through.

Please note that if you are relying on vaccination to get the exemption, it would be extremely helpful to have your physical CDC vaccination card or a photo of it in PDF ready to upload to Safe Travels Hawaii if you have not done so in advance. We thought we have completed all the necessary forms on the Safe Travels Hawaii app but there is a second questionnaire you need to fill out where you need to upload proof of your vaccination. The Safe Travels Hawaii website is not that clear on this and you need to have your batch number and dates of vaccine from your vaccination card.

Last edited by Cheynewalk; Aug 26, 2021 at 3:23 am Reason: clarity
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:13 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
So....where do we get these wristbands at PHX?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by 355F1
So....where do we get these wristbands at PHX?
The Safe Travels Hawai'i table was set up at the top of concourse A on 8/16. Not sure if the move it around. Was camped in the A AC; I went get mine - only one person ahead of me; my wife went and was back quickly and gone again for just a short time. In a related note, make sure you bring the ID you used in setting up your Safe Travels account.
355F1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.