Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Standby for later flights on two segment itin, no show risk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green

Searched around without an answer:

How does same-day standby for later flights work on a two-segment trip? Say I am flying HUB-DFW-AAA with a 10 hour connection in DFW and want to standby on a later HUB-DFW flight to cut my connection time. If I no show on HUB-DFW, will the entire HUB-DFW-AAA get cancelled? Asking this because DFW-AAA only has 2 flights per day, and they are all pretty fully booked. I am comfortable getting on standby on a later HUB-DFW because there is a flight every 2 hours, but if they cancel DFW-AAA, I might be stuck in DFW for days.

Are there any workarounds? Shall I contact AA the day prior to have them manually remove the HUB-DFW segment, so I won't be marked as a no-show and get my entire trip cancelled? Inputs will be greatly appreciated!
Old May 27, 2021, 10:00 pm

Should be the same as doing later standby on the outbound of a nonstop single-ticket round trip. If it were counted as a no-show, the return would be canceled, but that doesn't happen. Likewise, if they allow you to do later standby on HUB-DFW, they are clearly giving you permission to skip your original HUB-DFW without it being counted as a no-show, and they have no right to cancel your DFW-AAA.
shd9 likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by shd9
Searched around without an answer:

How does same-day standby for later flights work on a two-segment trip? Say I am flying HUB-DFW-AAA with a 10 hour connection in DFW and want to standby on a later HUB-DFW flight to cut my connection time. If I no show on HUB-DFW, will the entire HUB-DFW-AAA get cancelled? Asking this because DFW-AAA only has 2 flights per day, and they are all pretty fully booked. I am comfortable getting on standby on a later HUB-DFW because there is a flight every 2 hours, but if they cancel DFW-AAA, I might be stuck in DFW for days.

Are there any workarounds? Shall I contact AA the day prior to have them manually remove the HUB-DFW segment, so I won't be marked as a no-show and get my entire trip cancelled? Inputs will be greatly appreciated!
I would expect it to not be a problem as the PNR will show you as standby on a later flight
shd9 likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I felt somewhat more relieved now and will post back my experience.

Moderators - feel free to merge this thread
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Reporting back: probably due to an oversell, the same day change/standby feature didn't show any flights available T-24. However, with a quick call to AA I was able to get added to a later HUB-DFW flight. A Standby icon below my original HUB-DFW flight displays the Standby list and I was cleared T-1 hr. The SDS feature works well!
Old Jun 4, 2021, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by shd9
Reporting back: probably due to an oversell, the same day change/standby feature didn't show any flights available T-24. However, with a quick call to AA I was able to get added to a later HUB-DFW flight. A Standby icon below my original HUB-DFW flight displays the Standby list and I was cleared T-1 hr. The SDS feature works well!
Thanks for the info, I did not know AA flew to Humbert River (HUB)
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Thanks for the info, I did not know AA flew to Humbert River (HUB)
Sorry for the confusion - I meant another AA “Hub” to suggest that there are frequent flights between that hub (ORD) and DFW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.