Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft changes (downgauging) are a coming :(

Old May 20, 2021, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat

Many of my routes are changing from E175 to A319, and from A321 to A320.

Going to miss those four four additional first class seats on the E175, the single aisle F, and row eight in economy, and two x two economy. Not sure of a single desirable economy seat in a 319.

Chairman Parker is adding capacity. So much so two flights tonight DFW to SLC with departures after 2100 (I am on one of them).

Really enjoyed the E175s on my routes while they lasted. They will be missed.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Those 319 are awful. Parker loves them.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone

Going to miss those four four additional first class seats on the E175, the single aisle F, and row eight in economy, and two x two economy. Not sure of a single desirable economy seat in a 319.

Chairman Parker is adding capacity. So much so two flights tonight DFW to SLC with departures after 2100 (I am on one of them).

​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by enviroian
Theyre not bad up front... nothing special about the seats, but service with only two rows tends to be better. If youre relying on comp upgrades with an 8J cabin, agree theyre bad news.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
A true statement, but Id still take one over the Oasis planes.

That said, the title of this thread worried me a bit at first, I thought the configurations were getting worse. Then I realized, how much worse could they get? At least as far as domestic mainline goes
enviroian likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
I would take the E175 over the A319 and A320. I love the A321 though. Sucks you are getting the two worst.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
14ACDF
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
A true statement, but Id still take one over the Oasis planes.

That said, the title of this thread worried me a bit at first, I thought the configurations were getting worse. Then I realized, how much worse could they get? At least as far as domestic mainline goes
Anything is better than the Oasis planes! Still, the A319s aren't really bad at all on the AA version, but of course different story on the former US ones.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Anything is better than the Oasis planes! Still, the A319s aren't really bad at all on the AA version, but of course different story on the former US ones.
There are no "AA version" A319s. All 132 A319s have the same configuration and have for quite some time.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
There are no "AA version" A319s. All 132 A319s have the same configuration and have for quite some time.
The LAA 319s have AVOD which isn't being ripped out. Also, LAA 319s have closets which means crew doesn't need to take half the space in F for their bags. It's one reason if I'm in F on a LUS319 I tend to be gate lice so that I can first on board to get bags stowed in F.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The LAA 319s have AVOD which isn't being ripped out. Also, LAA 319s have closets which means crew doesn't need to take half the space in F for their bags. It's one reason if I'm in F on a LUS319 I tend to be gate lice so that I can first on board to get bags stowed in F.
Yes the dreaded 1AC overhead bin labeled "for crew only".
Old May 21, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The LAA ones are horrid for underseat storage with the huge IFE boxes. The retrofitted LUS birds with vastly more underseat space are better in my books.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

Was there temporary scope clause relief during COVID?

If not, this hardly seems like a newsworthy thread as downgauges on your flights just mean upgagues elsewhere. I don't think AA is sending E175s to the desert to replace mainline jets that are coming back from the desert...

I was sort of conflicted about the E175s showing up on my most frequent AA routes DFW-ORF/RIC. On the one hand, E175 F is great when you book early enough to get an A seat. On the downside, E175 F is not that great on the two-seat side and there's no food service on MQ. The sandwich/cheese plate option isn't great but it's far more food than one gets on MQ...
Old May 21, 2021, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Herb687
Was there temporary scope clause relief during COVID?

If not, this hardly seems like a newsworthy thread as downgauges on your flights just mean upgagues elsewhere. I don't think AA is sending E175s to the desert to replace mainline jets that are coming back from the desert...

I was sort of conflicted about the E175s showing up on my most frequent AA routes DFW-ORF/RIC. On the one hand, E175 F is great when you book early enough to get an A seat. On the downside, E175 F is not that great on the two-seat side and there's no food service on MQ. The sandwich/cheese plate option isn't great but it's far more food than one gets on MQ...
I didn't use the word downgauge. Speculate a moderator inserted it.
Old May 21, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I'll be shocked if AA keeps a handful of A319s with AVOD yet the rest of the narrow body fleet doesn't have AVOD. I expect AVOD will be removed next year once the OASIS, etc. work is done.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I'll be shocked if AA keeps a handful of A319s with AVOD yet the rest of the narrow body fleet doesn't have AVOD. I expect AVOD will be removed next year once the OASIS, etc. work is done.
I couldn't find a source in 30 seconds or less, but AA has said all along that the 319s are keeping AVOD because of their international runs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.