Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft changes (downgauging) are a coming :(

Aircraft changes (downgauging) are a coming :(

Old May 20, 2021, 5:52 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SLC
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Posts: 616
Aircraft changes (downgauging) are a coming :(

Many of my routes are changing from E175 to A319, and from A321 to A320.

Going to miss those four four additional first class seats on the E175, the single aisle F, and row eight in economy, and two x two economy. Not sure of a single desirable economy seat in a 319.

Chairman Parker is adding capacity. So much so two flights tonight DFW to SLC with departures after 2100 (I am on one of them).

Really enjoyed the E175s on my routes while they lasted. They will be missed.
GunsOfNavarone is offline  
Old May 20, 2021, 6:09 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,398
Those 319 are awful. Parker loves them.
enviroian is online now  
Old May 20, 2021, 6:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/MCI/SAN
Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Many of my routes are changing from E175 to A319, and from A321 to A320.

Going to miss those four four additional first class seats on the E175, the single aisle F, and row eight in economy, and two x two economy. Not sure of a single desirable economy seat in a 319.

Chairman Parker is adding capacity. So much so two flights tonight DFW to SLC with departures after 2100 (I am on one of them).

Really enjoyed the E175s on my routes while they lasted. They will be missed.
​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by enviroian
Those 319 are awful. Parker loves them.
Theyre not bad up front... nothing special about the seats, but service with only two rows tends to be better. If youre relying on comp upgrades with an 8J cabin, agree theyre bad news.
metallo is offline  
Old May 20, 2021, 7:18 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by enviroian
Those 319 are awful. Parker loves them.
A true statement, but Id still take one over the Oasis planes.

That said, the title of this thread worried me a bit at first, I thought the configurations were getting worse. Then I realized, how much worse could they get? At least as far as domestic mainline goes
enviroian likes this.
cmd320 is offline  
Old May 20, 2021, 7:41 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Posts: 61
I would take the E175 over the A319 and A320. I love the A321 though. Sucks you are getting the two worst.
IAHtraveler likes this.
atbPy is offline  
Old May 20, 2021, 7:51 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City + Vail, CO
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 3,235
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Going to miss those four four additional first class seats on the E175, the single aisle F, and row eight in economy, and two x two economy. Not sure of a single desirable economy seat in a 319.
14ACDF
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
donotblink is offline  
Old May 20, 2021, 9:46 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Originally Posted by cmd320
A true statement, but Id still take one over the Oasis planes.

That said, the title of this thread worried me a bit at first, I thought the configurations were getting worse. Then I realized, how much worse could they get? At least as far as domestic mainline goes
Anything is better than the Oasis planes! Still, the A319s aren't really bad at all on the AA version, but of course different story on the former US ones.
cmd320 likes this.
fly747first is offline  
Old May 21, 2021, 5:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,361
Originally Posted by fly747first
Anything is better than the Oasis planes! Still, the A319s aren't really bad at all on the AA version, but of course different story on the former US ones.
There are no "AA version" A319s. All 132 A319s have the same configuration and have for quite some time.
USFlyerUS is offline  
Old May 21, 2021, 7:53 am
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,913
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
There are no "AA version" A319s. All 132 A319s have the same configuration and have for quite some time.
The LAA 319s have AVOD which isn't being ripped out. Also, LAA 319s have closets which means crew doesn't need to take half the space in F for their bags. It's one reason if I'm in F on a LUS319 I tend to be gate lice so that I can first on board to get bags stowed in F.
cmd320 likes this.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old May 21, 2021, 8:00 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,398
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The LAA 319s have AVOD which isn't being ripped out. Also, LAA 319s have closets which means crew doesn't need to take half the space in F for their bags. It's one reason if I'm in F on a LUS319 I tend to be gate lice so that I can first on board to get bags stowed in F.
Yes the dreaded 1AC overhead bin labeled "for crew only".
enviroian is online now  
Old May 21, 2021, 11:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Posts: 7,259
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The LAA 319s have AVOD which isn't being ripped out. Also, LAA 319s have closets which means crew doesn't need to take half the space in F for their bags. It's one reason if I'm in F on a LUS319 I tend to be gate lice so that I can first on board to get bags stowed in F.
The LAA ones are horrid for underseat storage with the huge IFE boxes. The retrofitted LUS birds with vastly more underseat space are better in my books.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
aamilesslave is offline  
Old May 21, 2021, 11:35 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 17,981
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Many of my routes are changing from E175 to A319, and from A321 to A320.

Going to miss those four four additional first class seats on the E175, the single aisle F, and row eight in economy, and two x two economy. Not sure of a single desirable economy seat in a 319.

Chairman Parker is adding capacity. So much so two flights tonight DFW to SLC with departures after 2100 (I am on one of them).

Really enjoyed the E175s on my routes while they lasted. They will be missed.
Was there temporary scope clause relief during COVID?

If not, this hardly seems like a newsworthy thread as downgauges on your flights just mean upgagues elsewhere. I don't think AA is sending E175s to the desert to replace mainline jets that are coming back from the desert...

I was sort of conflicted about the E175s showing up on my most frequent AA routes DFW-ORF/RIC. On the one hand, E175 F is great when you book early enough to get an A seat. On the downside, E175 F is not that great on the two-seat side and there's no food service on MQ. The sandwich/cheese plate option isn't great but it's far more food than one gets on MQ...
Herb687 is offline  
Old May 21, 2021, 1:29 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SLC
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by Herb687
Was there temporary scope clause relief during COVID?

If not, this hardly seems like a newsworthy thread as downgauges on your flights just mean upgagues elsewhere. I don't think AA is sending E175s to the desert to replace mainline jets that are coming back from the desert...

I was sort of conflicted about the E175s showing up on my most frequent AA routes DFW-ORF/RIC. On the one hand, E175 F is great when you book early enough to get an A seat. On the downside, E175 F is not that great on the two-seat side and there's no food service on MQ. The sandwich/cheese plate option isn't great but it's far more food than one gets on MQ...
I didn't use the word downgauge. Speculate a moderator inserted it.
GunsOfNavarone is offline  
Old May 21, 2021, 1:33 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,361
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The LAA 319s have AVOD which isn't being ripped out. Also, LAA 319s have closets which means crew doesn't need to take half the space in F for their bags. It's one reason if I'm in F on a LUS319 I tend to be gate lice so that I can first on board to get bags stowed in F.
I'll be shocked if AA keeps a handful of A319s with AVOD yet the rest of the narrow body fleet doesn't have AVOD. I expect AVOD will be removed next year once the OASIS, etc. work is done.
USFlyerUS is offline  
Old May 22, 2021, 7:46 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Some/Most/All
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I'll be shocked if AA keeps a handful of A319s with AVOD yet the rest of the narrow body fleet doesn't have AVOD. I expect AVOD will be removed next year once the OASIS, etc. work is done.
I couldn't find a source in 30 seconds or less, but AA has said all along that the 319s are keeping AVOD because of their international runs.
JBKettle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.